The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Beer: Burnside Brewery - Black Katz

Abv: 3.6%

Style: Mild

Aromas: Sweet and malty, some dark fruits (possibly dates), hint of citrus, faint dark roast, light chocolate

Taste: Mild liquorice, some expresso, toffee malt, slight bitterness, hint of nuts

Overall: Another one of the Aldi purchases. Actually opened a bottle of M-Pire from the same brewery last week but didn't finish it as it was utter pish. This is better. Not a whole lot going on and it's a little bit watery but it's a reasonable mild and has a nice faint lingering bitterness to counteract the initial sweetness.

6.5/10

I tried Mpire and Black Katz tonight and wasnt that impressed with either of them, though drank them both. I did not read the label and therefore did not realise they were both bottle conditioned. I had stored them both in the fridge horizontally and therefore drank them both cloudy. Its hard to distinguish any flavours when the beer is cloudy so I did not intend posting a review. I was surprised by how black the Black Katz was, it was more like a porter in colour. I have never drank a mild before and if this was anything to go by they are a bit wishy washy.

Also had another Claverhouse tonight, didnt enjoy it as much as the first bottle (see earlier review) though still a decent drop.

I tried Mpire and Black Katz tonight and wasnt that impressed with either of them, though drank them both. I did not read the label and therefore did not realise they were both bottle conditioned. I had stored them both in the fridge horizontally and therefore drank them both cloudy. Its hard to distinguish any flavours when the beer is cloudy so I did not intend posting a review. I was surprised by how black the Black Katz was, it was more like a porter in colour. I have never drank a mild before and if this was anything to go by they are a bit wishy washy.

Did you drink dark ale straight from the fridge? That's likely to be the reason why you couldn't distinguish much flavour. Best to drink real cool, but not chilled. As a rule of the thumb, the darker the beer, the warmer you can drink it.

Did you drink dark ale straight from the fridge? That's likely to be the reason why you couldn't distinguish much flavour. Best to drink real cool, but not chilled. As a rule of the thumb, the darker the beer, the warmer you can drink it.

Often I do drink beer at room temp or cellar temp but sometimes I chill it, depends how I'm feeling.

Yes, generally I agree. But I'm presently sipping a nice wee porter - Old Engine Oil - Harviestoun Brewery, Alva (from Aldi's deal, and it recommends serving chilled. Not getting the chocolate or coffee notes, but if I wanted those I'd have a Kenco and a flake.

Yes, generally I agree. But I'm presently sipping a nice wee porter - Old Engine Oil - Harviestoun Brewery, Alva (from Aldi's deal, and it recommends serving chilled. Not getting the chocolate or coffee notes, but if I wanted those I'd have a Kenco and a flake.

For stuff like that I'd maybe keep it in the cupboard but maybe leave it in the garden for half an hour or so (certainly at this time of year) before drinking it to cool it slightly but not overchill it. Top beer that too.

Was in Aldi's recently and was impressed with the range of beers and price, although in this neck of the woods Asda is the best for price. For example Theakston's Old Peculiar £1.25 in Asda, £1.99 in Morrisons. I've now tried a few Williams Bros beers and I have to say I find them over carbonated for my taste. However, 7 giraffes is very nice indeed. Recently had an Old Speckled Hen that's good from a bottle and it is excellent on draught.

Saw that beer on the news tonight. Is it made specifically for Danny Alexander?

I think so. The name is certainly intentional because Harriet Harman (I think) called him a "ginger rodent".

I'm attempting to broaden my alcohol horizons. I usually just stick to cider and spirits, I'm not a fan of your standard lager.

What's a good introductory beer to start with?

I think so. The name is certainly intentional because Harriet Harman (I think) called him a "ginger rodent".

I'm attempting to broaden my alcohol horizons. I usually just stick to cider and spirits, I'm not a fan of your standard lager.

What's a good introductory beer to start with?

I'd recommend getting 2 or 3 of the Williams Bros beers. Great range of different styles. They're all very tasty but not overpowering which could maybe put off someone not too familiar to real ale.

*Also

Not sure whereabouts in Glasow you are but if you're out near Kelvinbridge anytime soon then it's worth a look in The Cave. Good selection of UK stuff (they usually have most of the Williams range) as well as stuff from around the world that you don't tend to get in the supermarket. Staff are fairly clued up too.

Edited by Derek Patterson

Beer: J.W. Lees - Brewer's Dark

Abv: 2.6%

Style: Mild

Aromas: Hint of chocolate, old fashioned cola, sweet toffee, hint of liquorice, bread yeast

Taste: Dark roasted malt, slight nuttyness, some faint fruits

Overall: Tried this a while back but never bothered reviewing at the time. At £1.25 a bottle (from Morrisons) it's not bad value as it's a well crafted beer with good quality ingredients but it's just a bit watery and lacks substance. Suppose it would be alright if you just fancied something quite light but which isn't a lager or a pale ale.

From what I gather J.W. Lees do some decent stuff, their Manchester Star Ale (previously reviewed on here by both Monster and myself) is absolutely glorious stuff and a lovely winter beer. Definately recommend picking that up if you see it.

6/10

post-22047-0-99585600-1353888988_thumb.j

Beer: Joseph Holt Maplemoon

Abv: 4.8%

Style: ESB

Aromas: Sweet malts, some caramel, almost floral, something about it reminds me a wee bit of Bass Shandy

Taste: Dark maple syrup, brown sugar, honey, pretty sweet with just a faint bitterness, very slight sourness,

Overall: Nice one this. You can definately taste the maple yet it doesn't overpower what is a good quality, refreshing bitter. This would be a lovely summer beer on cask.

7.5/10

post-22047-0-42719700-1354237627_thumb.j

Edited by Derek Patterson

Enjoy them, Cammy. But may I suggest for you - a wee trip to Aldi, where you'll get proper beer for the same price.

Me - I'm on a wee Prosecco with Mrs.Bold - very nice after a hard day.

Ive been before, some decent ales in Aldis. Just got these in Scotmid for convenience about to crack one open now.

I had been in Strathaven at the Strathaven Ales microbrewery but it was closed. I was hoping to buy a minicask of one of their brews. Will need to phone in advance next time.