The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW - Asda Kirkton had the Innis and Gunn original, blonde and rum varieties today...

The new asda in Dundee has the toasted IPA on the shelf as well, although looks like the blonde is getting deleted. On the plus side, it will be reduced to clear soon I expect.

#54 (4 reviews in 1 as got them at the same time and they're from the same brewery)

Point Black Ale (5.2%)

Seems more like a black lager. Has a feint sweetness to it. Doesn't taste nearly as dark as it looks. Drinkable enough though not a huge amount going on.

6.5/10

Point Belgian White (5.4%)

Plenty of orange peel as you'd expect from a wheat beer. Also a hint of coriander in there too. This reminded me quite a bit of Blue Moon though I'd say that this is actually a bit nicer. Actually pretty European tasting. Good stuff.

7.5/10

Point Amber Lager (4.7%)

I think this is more of an American style. It's a bit sweeter than the average lager. You can tell it's well made but it's just not really my favoured type of beer. I could see it being popular in the states though.

7/10

Point I.P.A. (5.6%)

Hoppy goodness. Big and punchy with the hops in this but still light enough so that you could enjoy a few of them. Reminded me very much of Goose Island I.P.A. though this is perhaps just a wee bit more mellow.

7.5/10

I'd never heard of this brewery before but saw a sign in Ellie's Cellar in Perth saying they had American beers in for 99p. Got them out of curiousity (expecting them to be pretty pish) as I've not had a huge amount of American beers. Whilst the Amber Lager and Black Ale were nothing outstanding, the Belgian White and I.P.A. were certainly worth more than the 99p asking price. Not sure how many places stock this stuff but if you see it for this price then it's well worth trying.

http://www.pointbeer.com/

post-22047-0-20950200-1379277420_thumb.j

Beer:
Innis & Gunn - Canadian Cherrywood Finish

Style: Scotch Ale

Abv: 8.3%

Aromas: Dark fruits, banana, something slightly medicinal yet nice, old fashioned cola, vanilla

Taste: Treacle & molasses, hint of maple syrup, vanilla, little bit of cherry, caramel, almost a liqueur vibe in there

Overall: I think I'm one of those folk who just doesn't "get" Innis & Gunn. I hear so many folk raving about their beers like they're the best that there is. Whilst this is enjoyable, like the other cask aged I&G offerings, I find that the base beer itself is solid but not outstanding and it's the other characteristics caused by aging in the cask is what actually makes it.

7.5/10

post-22047-0-16055800-1379284685_thumb.j

Archived