The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to Brew Dog pub in Msnchester yesterday. Excellent stuff.5am Saints was great they also had an Olde Worlde IPA which was terrific. Dead Pony Club was really good. As was their fake lager. Tried the brew dog flight which was a third of a pint each of 4 different brew dog beers. Will definitely go back there.

Q: Does anyone know where it is possible to get Schiehallion lager in the Glasgow area? Preferably in a bar and ideally draught, but individual bottles to buy would be fine. Tried it last week in the Bridge of Orchy hotel and it was superb.

Q: Does anyone know where it is possible to get Schiehallion lager in the Glasgow area? Preferably in a bar and ideally draught, but individual bottles to buy would be fine. Tried it last week in the Bridge of Orchy hotel and it was superb.

I know tesco stock it, but dont know about the glasgow branches. Failing that, try "valhallas goat" on great western road.

It's fairly easy to find in supermarkets round Dundee way. Tesco,Asda Sainsbury and aldi all stock it. It's a standard in counting house in dundee too so counting house in George square is a shout.

Pretty sure the Brass Monkey does it

Sainsburys at Braehead sell bottles.

Went to Brew Dog pub in Msnchester yesterday. Excellent stuff.5am Saints was great they also had an Olde Worlde IPA which was terrific. Dead Pony Club was really good. As was their fake lager. Tried the brew dog flight which was a third of a pint each of 4 different brew dog beers. Will definitely go back there.

had some punk IPA yesterday. must say its one of my favourites. haven't been to a brewdog pub yet but there beer and marketing is nothing short of genius.

This might be a bit bizarre but I've been watchi Peep Show and I'm curious - does anyone know where to buy a yard of ale? (If they're still a thing)

I have no idea where I would start to look, for some reason I keep thinking Yorkshire is the only place that you could get one

Anyone had Belhaven Twisted Thistle?

Don't, awful.

I used to enjoy the belhaven beers early on in my drinking career. I can't stand the stuff now.

Nothing to do with the take over by Greene King or anything. It's just in the last twenty years there is so much better, tastier and more interesting stuff about that it's been shown up as the average fayre it is.

Caledonian probably fall into this catagory too. Flying Scotsman is utter shite.

Had a wee drive to alloa today, popped round by the williams bros brewery, one of the guys let us in and we bought a mixed case for 20 quid, and kindly showed us around the brewhouse. The wife mentioned it was her birthday yesterday, so the guy gave us 4 free bottles of one of the newbies, "paradigm shift". Fab end to a lovely day.post-7178-13978376612223_thumb.jpgpost-7178-13978376809372_thumb.jpg

post-7178-13978377029436_thumb.jpgpost-7178-13978377384214_thumb.jpg

I do hold an element if disdain towards Brewdog, their draft is ridiculously overpriced. Punk IPA is a great pint but by comeparing that to Williams Joker the difference of price is silly. Williams produce far more diverse ales, with Hipsay being my favourite. Brewdog (Argylle street) is a lovely pub but for me I cant get past the façade of marketing that it holds when inn deep is next to the river with one of the best beer gardens in Glasgow selling primary Williams draft.

Dont get me wrong, Punk IPA is outstanding i just don't like the impact that Brewdog has had on the local ales culture.

I do hold an element if disdain towards Brewdog, their draft is ridiculously overpriced. Punk IPA is a great pint but by comeparing that to Williams Joker the difference of price is silly. Williams produce far more diverse ales, with Hipsay being my favourite. Brewdog (Argylle street) is a lovely pub but for me I cant get past the façade of marketing that it holds when inn deep is next to the river with one of the best beer gardens in Glasgow selling primary Williams draft.

Dont get me wrong, Punk IPA is outstanding i just don't like the impact that Brewdog has had on the local ales culture.

Interesting points, SJ. I, myself, enjoy both and spent a great Sunday afternoon last month split between the two institutions. Being a wealthy man ;), the price didn't bother me at Brewdog, but you are correct about the differential between the two establishments. Room for both, I say.

Brewdog I can see as being a love/hate thing because of the marketing etc. However, it's probably because of Brewdog and their marketing (underwater brews, strongest beer in the world etc) that a lot of people moved onto beer as opposed to lager. It was certainly the case with me and a group of my friends. Following on from this has allowed a lot more small breweries to get good product out into pubs and shops.

I hate the 'craft beer' hipster trend. A friend of mine was in a bar in Glasgow and was asked if he wanted to try their house beer, when he asked what it was like the response was "its a bit crafty", whicj is either the greatest advertising term for beer ever or an indictment that some folk know f**k all.

Turns out it was the later and it was a bog standard lager.

Archived