Lets All Laugh At Rangers Thread

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's all predictably horrible stuff on that thread.

The thing that gets me is that Follow Follow is meant to be sort of mainstream, is it not?  Do you not see it referenced in the media at times?  I'm sure it was certainly that way during the banter years, with Rangers Media and some other mental place that issued sectarian statements, being seen as a bit wilder.

What sort of moderation is there on Follow Follow, that allows that kind of hateful stuff?

I don't believe that most, or even that many, Rangers fans are as warped as these posters.   I hate that they go pretty much unchallenged though.

I haven't posted on either after getting banned a decade ago but I always thought FF was more for the conspiracy da's whereas RM was for the younger wannabe edge lord types. 

I know you probably mean in the wider sense about calling things out but anyone that does so on those types of forums gets labelled a tim and banned instantly. 

37 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I haven't posted on either after getting banned a decade ago but I always thought FF was more for the conspiracy da's whereas RM was for the younger wannabe edge lord types. 

I know you probably mean in the wider sense about calling things out but anyone that does so on those types of forums gets labelled a tim and banned instantly. 

Rumoore hits it on the nail here.....  have a friend who is a supporter of "the rangers" and the same thing happened to him....

He called some bile out and was instantly abused and then eventually banned. 

Thing is its like a tick book you hav to go thru......,if you tick all the boxes,anti Catholicism,anti united Ireland,anti Scottish independence,anti snp,greens and alba party.

Anti the Scots or gaelic language,anti the Scotland national team etc etc.

You back all of that then your one of the "people" !!

Your supporting a "culture" with them and the football team is just a part of it.

9 hours ago, RuMoore said:

Fair enough.  You'll have a lot more insight than me.  

Genuine question then, and it's not intended as a dig:  Is there a forum for Rangers fans where all this blatant sectarianism, and delight in tales of child abuse, is absent?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question then, and it's not intended as a dig:  Is there a forum for Rangers fans where all this blatant sectarianism, and delight in tales of child abuse, is absent?

I'd guess not. It's part of their fabric for a sizeable number of them, a cancer that wheedles it's way into almost every discussion, and it's not just the stereotypical hard of thinking 'bear' either. We've probably all met and know many fairly clever guys who come across well in their professional/working lives who, when they get involved in all things Rangers, come out with the same predictable shite. It doesn't matter whether the discussion is on football, politics, or the rapid decline of the polar ice caps, bigotry and sectarianism will find a way through, particularly on their own club specific messageboards and everything will be part of an Anti-Rangers conspiracy. And the saddest thing is that they actually believe it.

If only they'd stayed deid, instead of coming back as this even more embittered mark II...

On 06/09/2023 at 18:05, Miguel Sanchez said:

As much as I've enjoyed everyone's excerpts from The Swamp, you all missed the best example of obliviousness to reality:

h.png.63c5d2bf658ddb2f916b457f85b9a6fc.png

The nerve!

Aye, I thought that was very pot-kettle-black – Tim's Cogitorium

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Gersnet used to be pretty sensible but a bit dull at times, haven't been on it in years though.

Don's 88 described it well, a one club forum tends to become an echo chamber. Where in FFs case you always have folk trying to outstaunch each other.

You also have celtic fans going the extra mile as well as Rangers fans who genuinely shouldn't be let out of their house alone. 

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I haven't a clue, there might be a smaller one somewhere, as Bennett posted I think Gersnet started off a bit more sensible. The reddit page seems to stick to football whenever I have a look but they might have to adhere to different standards on the overall site that forums can evade. 

You'd probably have more of the normal types post on here if the place didn't have it's own biases and hostility towards Rangers fans. I don't mind as I'm weirdly quite comfortable being an outlier but I'd imagine some people finding it off putting. 

46 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

You'd probably have more of the normal types post on here if the place didn't have it's own biases and hostility towards Rangers fans. I don't mind as I'm weirdly quite comfortable being an outlier but I'd imagine some people finding it off putting. 

Yeah, that's probably fair.

On 09/09/2023 at 07:19, Monkey Tennis said:

I find the framing of this just very naive.

There is no section of the Rangers support that isn't a bigoted mess that delights in wanking itself into a fury over child abuse.

Any Rangers fans on here ever been at a game and objected to the folk around them singing sectarian songs or songs about child abuse? I'd be my life that not one of them ever has. And I think we all know how such an intervention would go down, so who can blame them?

Rangers' support are the fucking dregs of our society, and people claiming there is some large 'normal' element are off the mark.

There might be Rangers fans you like socially, or who you get on with at work. But 100% of that support know what they're part of and they choose to sign up for it.

Every one of them is a wrong'un.

Let's take just one simple wee thing. Rangers' pre-match song remains Simply The Best. They know the fans sing along with "f**k the Pope and the IRA". They know this. I know this. You know this. Yet, they play the song every week because they know the fans like singing "f**k the Pope and the IRA". Let that sink in. Have you ever heard a Rangers fan object to this? I haven't. Ever heard anyone say "I won't go back because the club obviously panders to bigots"? I haven't.

Their fans accept these things at the best edge, and revel in them in the main. Rangers fans are complete wrong'uns, and in the 21st century none of them have an excuse.

f**k them.

On 09/09/2023 at 10:10, RuMoore said:

See above. I'd honestly be worried if this site was seen as a place where the kind of scum that support your club were welcome.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

I find the framing of this just very naive.

There is no section of the Rangers support that isn't a bigoted mess that delights in wanking itself into a fury over child abuse.

Any Rangers fans on here ever been at a game and objected to the folk around them singing sectarian songs or songs about child abuse? I'd be my life that not one of them ever has. And I think we all know how such an intervention would go down, so who can blame them?

Rangers' support are the fucking dregs of our society, and people claiming there is some large 'normal' element are off the mark.

There might be Rangers fans you like socially, or who you get on with at work. But 100% of that support know what they're part of and they choose to sign up for it.

Every one of them is a wrong'un.

Let's take just one simple wee thing. Rangers' pre-match song remains Simply The Best. They know the fans sing along with "f**k the Pope and the IRA". They know this. I know this. You know this. Yet, they play the song every week because they know the fans like singing "f**k the Pope and the IRA". Let that sink in. Have you ever heard a Rangers fan object to this? I haven't. Ever heard anyone say "I won't go back because the club obviously panders to bigots"? I haven't.

Their fans accept these things at the best edge, and revel in them in the main. Rangers fans are complete wrong'uns, and in the 21st century none of them have an excuse.

f**k them.

See above. I'd honestly be worried if this site was seen as a place where the kind of scum that support your club were welcome.

There’s a lot that I could into with this post, however I will settle for pointing out that you are wrong regarding the club playing Simply The Best. The add ons were previously sung during the pause between the opening few verses. As such, the club now only play what you would probably consider as the chorus. “f**k the Pope and the IRA” is no longer chanted at Ibrox during Simply The Best.

Edited by AJF

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

There’s a lot that I could into with this post, however I will settle for pointing out that you are wrong regarding the club playing Simply The Best. The add ons were previously sung during the pause between the opening few verses. As such, the club now only play what you would probably consider as the chorus. “f**k the Pope and the IRA” is no longer chanted at Ibrox during Simply The Best.

Tbf, the chorus wasn't immune either, given that Simply The Best was and possibly still is met with "The first battalion of the UVF" 

Not to defend Rangers fans, but a lot of the sectarian stuff is treated as just words, without any thought to the meaning of them

There will be some that sing f**k the pope and sang about ****** this or that, that have literally never once thought about Catholicism in a true sense. To them they're just names that you can shout at a rival football team, no different to calling fans of certain other clubs junkies or bin dippers or whatever else

Not saying this is right, but this will be the mindset of most of the 'good' Rangers fans you're talking about 

4 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Not to defend Rangers fans, but a lot of the sectarian stuff is treated as just words, without any thought to the meaning of them

There will be some that sing f**k the pope and sang about ****** this or that, that have literally never once thought about Catholicism in a true sense. To them they're just names that you can shout at a rival football team, no different to calling fans of certain other clubs junkies or bin dippers or whatever else

Not saying this is right, but this will be the mindset of most of the 'good' Rangers fans you're talking about 

Life is full of people who just say things without actually thinking about them. Not everyone who shouts a homophobic shout actively hates gay people. Not everyone who shouts a racial slur actively hates other races, but as a society its expected and accepted (for the most part) that people doing so are punished accordingly anyway. I'm not sure why we should ever make the distinction for sectarian bigotry. The whole "ah but its just 90 minute bigotry" is so fucking weak and wouldn't fly for any other protected characteristics. 

I'm not someone who holds a great deal of respect for the idea of religion, but I do obey the law and wouldn't openly abuse someone based on their religion, so I'm not sure why some people think they can hand wave it away as people being overly sensitive because they object to it once inside a football stadium. 

4 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Worry away then, 90% of the posters here are pretty sound if you can take a fair slagging. 

Edited by RuMoore