XCOM - Enemy Unknown

P.C

Didn't take long for the price to drop. Dishonoured which was released in the same week as Xcom is also down to £20-25. I rarely buy games when they come out as they drop in price so quick these days.

I've not played this much at all recently. I started playing the Orange Box again after Half Life 2 making the top 50 games. I'll go back to Xcom later as I really enjoyed it and the DLC should be out soon.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't take long for the price to drop. Dishonoured which was released in the same week as Xcom is also down to £20-25. I rarely buy games when they come out as they drop in price so quick these days.

I've not played this much at all recently. I started playing the Orange Box again after Half Life 2 making the top 50 games. I'll go back to Xcom later as I really enjoyed it and the DLC should be out soon.

same not played for a week or so gone back to Skyrim for a bit. At the stage where im just grinding my characters (sounds so wrong) to make sure im ready for the next big mission

• 1 year later...

Just started playing this again after Green Man Gaming were giving away copies to people who voted in the Golden Joystick Awards. Got my son a copy, but he's not interested. I'd forgotten how b*****dly difficult it is! Save scummed like a madman, but still tremendously good fun.

I assumed that Enemy Within was some sort of semi-sequel, and didn't start it until after finishing the base game again. D'oh! Looks interesting though.

was a tremendous game back on the PS1, a fucking b*****d of a game though, one i never completed without the aid of the action replay cartridge at the time, think i played the game for a year dying a lot, losing all sorts of bases etc, eventually gave up lol

This is actually the thread for the remake that I necro'd - I've got the originals on Steam, but never played them. Not sure there's any point, considering how good the remake is :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

XCOM 2 out next Friday the 5th.

Tempted to pre-order, as I put aside £35 for it a while back and you can pick up the Digital Deluxe Edition for £38.40 from Green Man Gaming if you use the 20% off code (which basically entitles you to all the DLC, by the looks of it). I'm not seeing any reviews yet, however, although surely it'll be hard to bollocks it up.

Surely?

Aw pish. Bought from Green Man Gaming with their 20% off voucher at £38.40, only for them to send me a 25% discount the day after :lol:

Here's the code, if anyone wants to use it; not sure if it can be used more than once:

#000031-9CS1B0-I03ABB

Worth mentioning that you get a bit of DLC, the Resistance Warrior pack, if you pre-order. Sounds like it's just a load of extra customisation options for your soldiers, but it also brings back a mystery guest from the original (Zhang, I'd guess). No doubt it'll eventually be available to buy through Steam for a couple of quid anyway.

Alright, 34 reviews in and 90% on Metacritic. Money spent :thumsup2

I take it there's not a lot of anticipation for this one on P&B?

I pre-ordered it having seen a few videos on YouTube of it. Really enjoyed the last one and it was one of those games that I would start playing at 9pm and find myself saying "just one more mission" until it was 3am and I had to get up for work at 7am.

Should have arrived today but typical in a situation like this I'm away to Dundee tonight and then at the football on Saturday so won't get to play it until Saturday evening :(

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone playing X-Com 2?

They have tried to change the way you play. A lot of missions have timers which mean you must achieve a certain objective within a set amount of turns. Also when you start most missions you're concealed which means you can set up ambushes.

The Rangers and their swords are pretty awesome. I was sceptical of them when I first started playing but these guys rack up the kills with their shotgun/sword weapons combination.

There are already loads of mods. One I'm tempted to try is one that means the objective timer doesn't start counting down until your concealment is broken. I think that makes sense and would encourage you to set up a proper ambush as the timer means you often have to rush.

Overall if you liked the previous game then you'll enjoy this one two. The rage you feel when your solider misses a 91% shot :angry:

Haven't had time to do more than the tutorial yet :(

Certainly looks tasty. I love the conceit that you basically played through the original on Impossible and got your arse handed to you in a major way :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived