Limmy's Show

jamamafegan

It's also a particularly Scottish thing to start slagging Scottish people off once they become too popular.

I always prefer the short, often punchlineless sketches in Limmy's show, than the recurring characters. The telesales bit from this week and the "I wish it was you in that car" line from last week e.g.

He's only occasionally 'funny' but his show is definitely watchable. I'm not sure which pigeon hole his show goes in. It's towards the Monty Python side of funny, in that some of it is just plain weird rather than funny, but it's captivating.

I just don't get it. His comedy is massively derivative and what isn't can only be called comedy in loose terms. He is also extremely annoying, imo.

Fair play, he's making money out of it, but I just don't understand how this was commissioned for one series let alone others.

In terms of Scottish 'comedy', apart from Still Game, it's been a fucking wasteland for years. Pretty much since Absolutley back in the early '90s. Using that frame of reference, Limmys Show is an undoubted success.

Look at UK comedy shows commissioned by the Beeb. How many of them are complete turds? The answer is plenty. They are determined to find a 'family friendly sitcom'. The c**t in charge has been pushing this for years and wasting countless millions doing so. Hopefully he retires or dies soon, or has already done so, and the next guy in charge has better ideas.

The picture he took on Twitter at Halloween of him peering out his window through his curtains still makes me laugh. In fact, I laughed at the thought of it as I typed this.

The serious pictures he was taking with #digupsaville were hilarious as wel. just starting right into the camera deadly serious, fucking superb :lol:

You see I would agree that there has to be an age element, but anyone that knows me knows that I am "hardly out of touch", with my sister and family generally lost when I'm talking to my 18yo niece about stuff.

In this case I just think it's the humour (or imo, the lack of it). What people here seem to be falling all over themselves about I just don't find funny and I don't think that is age related.

^^^ Knows as much about Genesis as any of the young hip, happening folk these days.

I think it's clear that you're someone who states opinions on things even if you never watch it, seen as you didn't notice an obvious reference to the show.

The main reason the Reading Rooms is so excellent is that of the 5 guys I asked "what's your hing" I got genuine replies from 4 of them and the 5th fobbed me off because his bird was there before giving a subtle wink. laugh.gif

Also heard a random dispute in the toilet being resolved with "Well he got a reaction out of you, you've got to give him that. You gave him exactly what he wanted, you played right into his hands"

Yeah Ric, you're completely missing the point on the "Everything's shit" sketch. He is taking the piss out of all of the young people who are like that today.

Surely he's taking the piss out of the young people (well studenty type young people) who think shit stuff is great (or even worse "fab") and are all enthusiastic about stuff, but eventually will become cynical, unenthusiastic fuckers like the rest of us.

Anyway, I thought that one was funny, and the Deedee sketch, and the guy trying to buy paracetamol wasn't bad. The rest barely raised a smile. I dunno if past sketch shows were this much "miss" with so little "hit" or if I've just come to realise that pretty much everything is shit. I recognized the party chat stuff and other references like that from real life, I just didn't find it observed in a particularly funny way. Human Traffic did it far better with the Star Wars conversation.

Edited by The OP

Surely he's taking the piss out of the young people (well studenty type young people) who think shit stuff is great (or even worse "fab") and are all enthusiastic about stuff, but eventually will become cynical, unenthusiastic fuckers like the rest of us.

Anyway, I thought that one was funny, and the Deedee sketch, and the guy trying to buy paracetamol wasn't bad. The rest barely raised a smile. I dunno if past sketch shows were this much "miss" with so little "hit" or if I've just come to realise that pretty much everything is shit. I recognized the party chat stuff and other references like that from real life, I just didn't find it observed in a particularly funny way. Human Traffic did it far better with the Star Wars conversation.

Limmy_s_Show_Everything_s_SHIT_66935092_thumbnail.jpg

Interesting article from The Guardian

For me, it is undoubtedly the funniest and most original British sketch comedy since Big Train and The Armando Iannucci Shows – both of which aired more than a decade ago. So Limmy's Show! should, by rights, be a major cult favourite throughout the UK. And yet, despite being in its third series, the Bafta Scotland-winning gem is still not broadcast on the BBC outside Alex Salmond's tartan kingdom.One of the few "internet sensations" to prove in any way sensational, Glaswegian comedian Brian "Limmy" Limond certainly has fans south of the border. But for all his online popularity – from his podcast to his provocative Twitter feed – Limond's TV show seems to be regarded within the BBC as something of a baffling anomaly.Limond's sense of humour, oblique though it often is, really isn't that difficult to grasp. It certainly isn't overtly parochial. Yes, it's absurd, dark and surreal – but given the UK's long love affair with comedy in that vein, it's not as if broadcasting it on BBC2 nationwide will result in the channel controller being chased into a burning windmill by hordes of confused and irate viewers.Written and directed by its star, Limmy's Show! is unusual in that it could only have emerged from the restless imagination of one peculiar person. It's the very antithesis of bland, committee-formed comedy. Recurring characters such as

and waster
underpin a barrage of existential observations on the endless complexities of life. It's Limond's own Twilight Zone, filled with pathos, horror, hilarity and wonder.His comedy finds madness in the mundane – an outlook best typified by a sketch in which a bus journey to the Glasgow district of Yoker
. Limond's
, meanwhile, is quietly devastating in a manner other sketch shows fail to match.Burnistoun and
– two amiable if admittedly more conventional BBC Scotland comedies – were both recently granted the privilege of a networked slot. But still the superior Limmy's Show! has been left abandoned in Scotland.Of course, those who don't live in Scotland can watch the show on iPlayer the day after transmission, or on Sky channel 970 as it goes out live – but the issue is surely that the BBC is failing to help a strong series find its widest audience.Popular mainstream shows such as Miranda have their place, but there should also be room in the schedules for inventive oddities aimed at an appreciative minority. Limmy's Show! will only ever appeal to a niche audience – but it's important that Limmy's audience, that unwashed crowd of bleary-eyed loners, are catered for too.Admittedly, it's to BBC Scotland's credit that it has allowed an auteur such as Limond to run wild with his singular vision. Other comedians must envy his freedom. But the BBC's failure to build on this success and network his show feels like a cowardly affront to fans of intelligent and distinctive comedy – not to mention one of its brightest comedy stars.Or maybe it has simply decided that no one will understand Limmy's accent. Yes, it's probably just that. After all, Billy Connolly, Craig Ferguson and Rab C Nesbitt never amounted to a hill of beans outside Glasgow. The accented poltroons.• Limmy's Show!, 10pm, Mondays, BBC2 Scotland.

The main reason the Reading Rooms is so excellent is that of the 5 guys I asked "what's your hing" I got genuine replies from 4 of them and the 5th fobbed me off because his bird was there before giving a subtle wink. laugh.gif

Also heard a random dispute in the toilet being resolved with "Well he got a reaction out of you, you've got to give him that. You gave him exactly what he wanted, you played right into his hands"

:lol: :lol:

Fantastic :D