MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

There's the possibility of Bisping being cut if he loses his next fight btw. Can't remember where I seen that.

Yeah I read that too, something about the contract he was on being too big in comparison to other guys in the division. It'd be a risk cutting him, WSOF or Bellator would pick up an absolutely fantastic asset who could possibly be the face of one of those companies.

Caveman kind of laboured his qf but he's normally a fine finisher so can see him going all out for a stoppage tonight against a replacement i don't know much about to be honest, other than the fact that Rickels won a decision against him only about 3 months ago. Was fairly close as i remember so don't imagine Rickels leaving it in the judges hands this time around.

Brooks-Awad should be a barnstormer, sure i picked Brooks out as tournament winner after the qf's so will stand by that. He isn't particularly expereinced though and we didn't get a long enough look at Awad in the qf to fully judge him so anything could happen really. Really looking forward to this fight.

Expect Vegh to take M'Pumbu's belt in the main event. Vegh was really impressive in his tournament and M'Pumbu is going to be really rusty coming into this, he's fought ONCE (and lost) since winning the title over a year and a half ago.

Looking forward to seeing Ed West again too, his only Bellator loses have came against Makovsky, Dantas and Galvao. And all were close decisions, you could say the rub of the green has gone against him, it's time for him to add a few W's to the record. Don't think i've seen Montoya so will have to predict a comfortable West win here.

Facebook prelims are now on. I'll update this post with thoughts, and hope my PC doesn't give up on me during it.

* Guimares vs. Lim: I was thinking during one of the Bellator fights that the striking was very telegraphed, and these two guys were doing much of that here. Both guys had moments of urgency, but Lim was looking more for combos, where as Guimares seemed to be going for that one big power right. I reckon a bit of range in power striking for Lim undid Guimares there.

* Caceres vs. Kang: Kang's wrestling was impressive, but Leroy was a lot livlier on the feet, and also did some spectacular shit off of it. I'm not sure where I'd have scored that one. Enjoyable fight.

* Tokudome vs. Marcello: Fun stuff I thought. Tokudome got a bit Leg Humper 2000 on us, but most of the time he did a lot of work. His standup defense left a lot to be desired, but his ability to walk through hard shots and go with his plan didn't do him bad at all. Marcello was clearly better on the feet though. Good showing from Tokudome.

* Mizugaki vs. Caraway: Some cracking stand up from Mizugaki across the 15 minutes. Caraway did shine for some of the fight, but not enough of it for me. The decision was right, and have to wonder what planet the other judge was on for that.

Edited by DomDom

Yet again ESPN manage to not only overrun their slot. They overrun on the slot after too. It's getting to the stage now that you have to record the next 4 programmes on your guide after a UFC event on ESPN to avoid missing the end of a main event.

The show ended for me at the end of round 2 of Struve and Hunt. Luckily(or so I thought) I had planned to record the next thing on the planner (Sky had it down on the guide as basketball I think) but naw, it overran that too and I got to the start of round two of Stann and Silva and yet again "programme ended, press back upto return" The sooner ESPN gets to fcuk, the better.

It's starting to get poor value. Does Virgin still do ESPN for free if you take a certain package?

Yet again ESPN manage to not only overrun their slot. They overrun on the slot after too. It's getting to the stage now that you have to record the next 4 programmes on your guide after a UFC event on ESPN to avoid missing the end of a main event.

The show ended for me at the end of round 2 of Struve and Hunt. Luckily(or so I thought) I had planned to record the next thing on the planner (Sky had it down on the guide as basketball I think) but naw, it overran that too and I got to the start of round two of Stann and Silva and yet again "programme ended, press back upto return" The sooner ESPN gets to fcuk, the better.

It's starting to get poor value. Does Virgin still do ESPN for free if you take a certain package?

I got to the start of the second in the main event, managed to find it unspoilered on Youtube thankfully. What a fight, best of the year so far for me. The first round is one of the best I've seen ever. Hunt-Struve was great as well. Wasn't overly keen on the rest of the card but it was worth it for the main and co-main.

Excellent main event, there's people suggesting that Wanderlai should bow out with a win and i tend to agree. He's not going to have many more fights in the tank and if he carries on someone is going to force him out on a loss. It'd be more fitting to go now, especially following a big win in Japan.

Last 2 fights helped make that card great! I wish every fight was like that! Wandy loved being back in Japan! I would love to see him fight more but it would be good for him to retire now after a win in Japan than be forced into it after a loss.

I hope that Silva retires now. He isn't going to get the motivation to fight like that often, as we've seen before. It's like when Big Nog came out all guns blazing that first UFC show in Brazil. He went right back to the usual after that. Of course, the usual Silva is still pretty handy, so who knows?

Despite the fact I'm loving the fact no one's mentioned it, Lombard is not top level, that was made absolutely clear on Saturday night. He definitely lost 29-28, was surprised it was even a split. The first two rounds were exactly what I feared, Okami is a strong, strong guy who has decent skill levels for every aspect. Pretty much the top level gatekeeper at 185. Hector's obviously fringe top 10, which given the salary he's on, may see him cut if he drops his next fight. I thought he could have KO'd Okami if he had been more intelligent in the last round, he shouldn't have been following him down with a minute to go and him needing the knockout. Once again though he gassed early. Stann/Wanderlei/Cung Le/Bisping would be good for him next, there are very good fights out there for him but the wage is a concern.

Wanderlei I would put in with guys who are great to watch, I wouldn't say he should be in against top level guys but there's a place for him in wars with exciting fighters.

There's the possibility of Bisping being cut if he loses his next fight btw. Can't remember where I seen that.

There is absolutely no possibility of this happening. High earners who fight boring fights and can't draw are in line to be cut (don't be surprised if Lombard is one). Bisping always draws and generally doesn't have boring fights. He is 100% not in line to be cut.

A lot of the cuts will be at 155lbs and 170lbs. Too many fighters in those divisions. Not many 185lbs fighters will be let go unless it's a must.

Bellator was decent on Thursday night, highlight was this KO from Ed West.

The title fight was one of the most dominant displays you'll see against a champion, Vegh was alright but M'Pumbu was unsurprisingly very poor. Very one sided fight. Awad looked unreal in beating Brooks, f**k knows how he'll do against Rickels if it goes past 2 minutes but the power he has in his hands means one clean shot lands and it could be over. I'd have to make Awad the favourite in that one based on his aggression and striking shown thus far in the tournament.

This week's doesn't look too great on paper but it could deliver. Sandro-Khasbulaev looks the most interesting, Sandro looked awful in his QF whilst Khasbulaev looked awesome. Sandro is the big name and a great watch usually but he's starting to look his age. If Khasbulaev is any longer than 4/6 I'll probably bet on him.

Didn't enjoy that Bellator much, but given the quality of the season, we're probably just a bit spoiled. :P

The main event was pretty poor and the Rickels fight was solid but unspectacular. Those two combined must've taken up about 85% of the total fight time, so I agree.

Shogun-Little Nog is booked for the summer, they haven't said which show yet. Tough one to call, a year ago I'd have said Shogun all day long but he hasn't looked too hot recently. He's always in fantastic fights though and this one should be no different.