MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

First of all, Max Fucking Holloway. What an absolute boss. As soon as he started throwing punches in bunches he started breaking Aldo. He also has that amazing championship mentality that just does not give up or get phased by a crowd baying for his blood every time he took a jab. That last minute of the fight was just utter survival for Aldo. Welcome to the new king folks. Hope Aldo keeps going as he is such an asset to MMA but imagine he will go missing now to be honest. Without the belt he doesn't seem to be able to cope.

It was hard for me to care about the womens fight. Both fighters are mad talented and I am fans of both, but the next step was for either of them to get another title shot against the champ who soundly beat both of them. All in though great performance by Gadhela. Was unsure if the camp switch at this point in her career was a warning sign that maybe her head was all over the joint but she played to her strengths for a good win.

The grandad fight was hardly appealing either and the outcome even worse as now have dad bod Vitor thinking it's a cracking idea to keep fighting. Found the last round a tough one to score and felt could've gone either way but Vitor in Brazil so hey ho that was how it was always gonna go. Vitor please just go home and call it a day. You have had a belting career and nobody wants to see you get viciously ko'd by the young contenders or just about beat up other old dudes.

Bamgbose was embarrassing. Running the Hector Lombard school of blowing your load early in an attempt to ko, however but with less technique. Glad he got tko'd in all honesty and he can't be surprised playing that game against more skilled opposition.

Medeiros v Silva was great fun. Super close and happily would have had them go the three rounds except for the fact I picked Medeiros by ko in my friends prediction league. Personally up till the finish was struggling to score it. Just two talented fighters showing how to strike well and play the MMA game. Thought the stoppage was very good as well but can sort of see why Silva was arguing. You may of recovered but if you don't defend yourself bro the ref is going to have to save you.

That third round should have been finished a good minute / 90 seconds before it was stopped, Aldo was completely out on the ground and seemed to be pushing off with his legs out of pure instinct. Dangerous refereeing, IMO.

Cracking performance from Holloway, could own the division for a long, long time.

Max Holloway is class, took Aldos best shots in that 1st round and walked through them. For the 2nd time in a row I had him by ko in the 4th and 5th and he does it earlier! Edgars a terrible matchup for him but he'd still be favourite to win imo. Pretty shit that the champ has to beg for the 50k bonus after the fight.

The refs were awful last night, Yamasaki let someone (can't remember who) take far too many shots, literally 10seconds late. Erick Silva stoppage was too quick, he was trying to fight back. The stand-up in the 1st round of Belfort-marquardt was just wrong, Nates face told you everything there. Aldo wanted out of there much sooner but wasn't wanting to give up the sub, he took way too many shots.

Disappointed with Karolina but that was always going to be a bad fight for her, Rose has to be next for the shot, Claudia probably is the only real challenge but she's lost twice so hard to make that fight again just now, let Claudia clean out all the others, maybe even give her Calvillo if she beats calderwood next.

Had Moraes winning 29-28, the 30-27 was outrageous! Don't think it'll set him back too badly though given that he came straight in with a top 3 guy, looking to see Moraes vs Lineker or something of that ilk next. Belfort-Nate decision was questionable too. I had Nate but it was a garbage fight anyway so not as fussed by that one.

The Holloway win completely freshens up that division. Great result in terms of that, although I'm gutted for Aldo. I think he's really lost that killer instinct since he lost the title the first time. The old Aldo would have finished that fight in 1 or 2 the way those rounds went.  Was bizarre he never utilised the leg kicks at all last night. I wonder if he'd consider stepping up a division? Maybe a bit too small?  Some great fights there for him though- Aldo vs Diaz would be money. Got to be Holloway-Edgar at FW now yeah?

Also gutted for Karolina. Tricky division now because effectively that was a number 1 contender match but how many goes can Gadelha get, someone mentioned Rose but it wasn't long ago Karolina sorted her out so it's a bit stagnant there. 

If even a quarter of this is true, it just further cements what a complete and utter arsehole Dana White is. Mental way to treat one of the best ever:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/5/15739394/demetrious-johnson-fires-back-ufcs-mistreatment-and-bullying-has-finally-forced-me-to-speak-out?utm_campaign=arielhelwani&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

He should shut up and take his beating from TJ. Having a dig at him for an old KO loss to Dodson is a joke, he's forgetting getting dominated from Cruz who imo lost to TJ and got embarrassed by Cody.
There's no real reason he shouldn't take the TJ fight other than he's worried that he has an actual realistic challenger for the 1st time. Fucking Ray Borg!! What is he even talking about, he's on a 2 fight win streak and his best win is formiga!! He's also missed weight twice in his last 4 fights.

10 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Don't necessarily agree with all that DJ says though, saying he'll take the fight if he gets the guaranteed double pay day if TJ fails weight? Where's that from? When has that ever happened? 

I think his point is, it shouldn't matter because they said they guarantee he makes weight. He's calling their bluff there imo. They can't guarantee that.

Good on him for speaking out, I hope the fight eventually gets made though. Would be a cracking fight.

5 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

I think his point is, it shouldn't matter because they said they guarantee he makes weight. He's calling their bluff there imo. They can't guarantee that.

Good on him for speaking out, I hope the fight eventually gets made though. Would be a cracking fight.

No they can't, but it does diminish his argument somewhat to sound like a money grabbing diva. Perhaps that wasn't the best approach, he'd have been better off sticking to the defence record argument. Anyway was just a minor point, he's in the right for the  most part here

Not sure how much better he expects the company to promote main events against absolute jobbers like Borg, Reis, Elliott and Cariaso though. Some of those fights were lucky they were even main eventing given how appealing they were. Victim of his own dominance in that regard. He's going to have to fight TJ at some point as the division is stone dead

They've got a guy who's away to break the record for most defences ever. At this stage the level of opponent shouldn't come in to the equation when selling his fights as they should have been promoting him as a special attraction to the point that it's an honour for the fans and an event just to see this guy in the octagon.

He's said himself that he'd be happy to move up and fight TJ, Cody and anyone else at Bw once he's broken the record. I don't think it makes him seem money grabbing at all to want guarantees on the purse. TJ comes in overweight, much bigger than DJ and then bully's him, that's DJ's reputation and the potential for big fights when he moves up potentially fucked, think that it's more than reasonable that he be recompensed in that eventuality.

Dana's an absolute shit-zipper, and the way he seems to treat the fighters that aren't "his boys" is disgraceful, especially when they're all time greats. Glad DJ has come out and let rip.

Dana White has always been an arse, however the past few years have shown him up for the absolute lying scumbag he is. From the Reebok bullshit, the Ariel Helwani debacle, promised title fights that never occur and general mudslinging at anyone he doesn't like, the true arsehole is there for all to see.

Outside even Dana the WME takeover era has been an absolute mess. Wouldn't be surprised if they sell it at a loss in a few years.

Absolutely class statement from Holloway. I never disliked him, but as evidenced by the arse I made of it pre-Aldo I did think he was overrated. Happy to be wrong though as a young, talented fighter with class in abundance like him is the exact type of champion the UFC needs.