Depression

You dont need to self harm or have suicidal thoughts to be depressed (although in the past i've had both, the most pleasant being heating the tip of a knife on a stove then using it which has left a couple of nasty scars).

Sounds like you might have mild depressive disorder though. Lack of motivation, lack of organisation (not keeping things tidy), lack of sleep (or too much), lots of self doubt: these are classic symptoms.

Its good that you recognise that you have a problem. Its actually a pretty common thing among young folk at university. You should speak to your uni counselling service. Its free and confidential yet run by professionals. You may have to wait a wee bit to get an appoimtment so best to get in touch with them ASAP. You could find that talking to a professional helps and lets you work out issues that are causing you to feel the way you do. Also uni's are very understanding of such problems and can help in an acadic sense.

Also speak to your GP

Good post, man. I can identify with a lot of the symptoms you've suggested. I struggled a lot to make one day a week of uni last semester through a sheer lack of motivation which led to me losing my job as well as generally letting our flat get into a complete state near constantly. I wouldn't say it's something like depression only because I've seen the full blown onset of it in friends and there's a slight culture of diagnosing every little feeling as being related to a medical condition that puts me off even going to the doctor and just talking about it.

I'm not sure if that makes much sense. I absolutely detest the people that laugh it off and rubbish its idea but I find it difficult to work out whether feeling bloody miserable a lot of the time coupled with a severe lack of motivation for anything is just a personality trait or something that should be spoken about to a GP.

Again, good post DA.

I have an appointment booked with the uni counselling service, out of interest why do I need to go see a doctor? I don't really want to go on any happy pills as they don't really seem to work out from other people's accounts.

I have an appointment booked with the uni counselling service, out of interest why do I need to go see a doctor? I don't really want to go on any happy pills as they don't really seem to work out from other people's accounts.

People respond differently to pills. They don't work for everyone but some find them helpful. You don't HAVE to go to the doctor. See how you get on with the counselling service if you prefer and as long as you're able to see someone who is trained and knows what they're talking about. However, if you want a diagnosis for special factors considerations for uni work or referral on to other services, it will be your doctor that you need to speak to. It won't hurt to keep in touch with your GP just so they're aware of the situation, even if you don't need anything specifically from them at present.

Neither did I (want to go on any medication) so I never did. I was never offered it mind. However the reason why you may want to go to your GP is outlined by Mrs M's post;

People respond differently to pills. They don't work for everyone but some find them helpful. You don't HAVE to go to the doctor. See how you get on with the counselling service if you prefer and as long as you're able to see someone who is trained and knows what they're talking about. However, if you want a diagnosis for special factors considerations for uni work or referral on to other services, it will be your doctor that you need to speak to. It won't hurt to keep in touch with your GP just so they're aware of the situation, even if you don't need anything specifically from them at present.

I had the GP write me an official letter that I was then able to send to the relevant academic people to get extensions (on coursework) and exemptions from exams (I still had to sit them at a later date, just meant that I was able to miss some and not them have count as 'try' as the uni I was at only let you any one exam 3 times now as opposed to as many as you wanted in the past; I sat a couple of chemistry exams 4 times and didn't turn up for another so had 5 in total. I failed because I didn't do a jot of studying for them cos I'm a fanny).

Summer resists can be your friend if necessary. If you have to resit a year, it's not a disaster. It's also possible to fail some first year courses and simply retake the exams in 2nd year (I assume whatever uni you're at works on a credit system to get into each year). In fact I was still taking 1st year exams in 3rd year. Unis want you to pass and will do all they can to help. If you have a personal tutor, it might be worth talking to them as well just to let them know you may be having problems. There are plenty of services unis offer to help, like extra revision classes, classes that help you on how to study and revise better etc.

Anyway I had to leave uni in the end due to an accumulation of problems stemming from mental issues. If I had gotten it seen to far earlier (waited 4 years at uni to do so) then I very likely could have had a degree by now instead of being a drop out on the dole. Also I had a job as a student's resident assistant at one of the uni's halls of residence which meant I provided a service to student's for them to talk about issues, and I can assure you that plenty of students have problems adjusting and have doubts and fears, especially first years, to all different levels ranging from a small issue to more severe ones.

So don't feel like it's just you or that you're any different.

Edited by DA Baracus

Had a major breakdown at the weekend, relationship, work and family problems all merged into one and I cracked up, still struggling to shake the feelings and its eating away at me now. I don't want to go to a gp or a therapist because they'll put me on the antidepressants again, don't really want that.

Had a major breakdown at the weekend, relationship, work and family problems all merged into one and I cracked up, still struggling to shake the feelings and its eating away at me now. I don't want to go to a gp or a therapist because they'll put me on the antidepressants again, don't really want that.

No one can make you take antidepressants. Maybe speaking to a counsellor will let you work out why you're suddenly feeling like you are and what you can do about it.

Perhaps you can break down the problems into the headings you've given (relationship, work, family) and work out the problems then what steps you need to take to sort it. I think you'll need to acknowledge that it won't all happen at once. You say you're "struggling to shake the feelings" which suggests the problems can't be easily shaken and are more deep rooted and will have to dealt with, no matter how difficult or drastic the action may be. Talking with someone (not even necessarily a counsellor/therapist etc) may help you decide this.

anti-depressants are good if it is things like work, money etc problems that are cauing your depression, the pills keep you "going" and then when your problems are solved to an extent where you dont worry about them then you can gradually be worked off the tablets

if you however just sink into the depression without any real indications as to why, then the tablets need to be accompanied by counseling or else it will be a cycle that will never be broken

• 3 weeks later...

Recently lost a cousin to suicide from depression. Unconcievabely difficult and painful time for everyone that knew him. I am attempting the tough mudder scotland course in august with all funds going towards the scottish association for mental health, link to my just giving page is http://www.justgiving.com/Gordon-Wilson3 If anyone on here feels at all genourous. Thanks.

Nice one, mate! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt anyone will care but just to gauge the progress of recovery from my breakdown I currently feel happier than I have ever been. I have been back at work since just prior to New Year and am enjoying my work again. I also have a very loving and understanding girlfriend now and our time together has brought us both alot of happiness.

I am still on my medication but I sometimes forget to take it. When you feel happier you don't exactly think to yourself "I better take my antidepressant" every morning.

I doubt anyone will care but just to gauge the progress of recovery from my breakdown I currently feel happier than I have ever been. I have been back at work since just prior to New Year and am enjoying my work again. I also have a very loving and understanding girlfriend now and our time together has brought us both alot of happiness.

I am still on my medication but I sometimes forget to take it. When you feel happier you don't exactly think to yourself "I better take my antidepressant" every morning.

Brilliant, mate! :)

Congrats Richey ( :huh: ). I would say that you should take your medicine as directed, I used to go out with a lassie who was prescribed them and if she missed a dose things went a bit hairy, mood swings, crying for no reason etc.

I'm not sure about mental health, I was prescribed drugs when I was at University for various 'issues' but although I have a much more stressful life now I've never felt the need to go back to them. I think having a nice house/flat to come home to with my wife in it is a huge factor in keeping on top of things. I do get strange mood swings and periods of energy/depression but I'm OK.

That's good to see you are progressing and moving on with your life positively. Although it may seem a good sign that you are forgetting to take your medication I would strongly recommend you continue. I stopped taking mine earlier this year and it was a disaster and has knocked me back severely, if you think you need to change your medication or approach I would recommend seeing your GP who will be on hand to give you sound advice. Nonetheless it's great to see that you are heading in the right direction :) .

Good for you mate

Hope you continue to have full recovery

I'm still being sure to take my pills every morning, I don't want to slide back the way. I still sometimes get thoughts of self-harming or the idea to throw myself in front of a train (I'd decided that being smashed into oblivion by a speeding train would be the preferred method - I've tried hanging and it was horrible). I'd dabbled in self-harming with cigarette lighters, spoons heated over a flame and razorblades but that's never been any big part of my depression. I find pain or blood repulsive, even the thought of a paper cut disgusts me.

I've already been at the lowest depths of despair and the only way is up for me.

I'm still being sure to take my pills every morning, I don't want to slide back the way. I still sometimes get thoughts of self-harming or the idea to throw myself in front of a train (I'd decided that being smashed into oblivion by a speeding train would be the preferred method - I've tried hanging and it was horrible). I'd dabbled in self-harming with cigarette lighters, spoons heated over a flame and razorblades but that's never been any big part of my depression. I find pain or blood repulsive, even the thought of a paper cut disgusts me. I've already been at the lowest depths of despair and the only way is up for me.

Did you expect to find strangling your neck, or slitting your skin to be fun? Might be best to leave these temptations outside, so make sure your using a wireless mouse. Bin the hairdryer, get rid of the knifes and invest in a microwave. Ready meals= Ready for life.

I'm still being sure to take my pills every morning, I don't want to slide back the way. I still sometimes get thoughts of self-harming or the idea to throw myself in front of a train (I'd decided that being smashed into oblivion by a speeding train would be the preferred method - I've tried hanging and it was horrible). I'd dabbled in self-harming with cigarette lighters, spoons heated over a flame and razorblades but that's never been any big part of my depression. I find pain or blood repulsive, even the thought of a paper cut disgusts me.

I've already been at the lowest depths of despair and the only way is up for me.

Good for you. Did you give the train driver a thought in your wee fantasy?

Thought my moods stabilised after a while with finding the right medication although I have probably had the worst Manic to low swing I've ever had.

Having a mild pneumonia isn't helping the cause either. Being stuck in bed, aimlessly wandering through university work is mind numbing and I'm really struggling to find motivation to do it.

It also doesn't help that it's my little brothers birthday tomorrow and I haven't been able to get him anything, I am actually stricken with guilt.