Depression

Going so long feeling like this isn't going to have a quick solution sadly.

I think you should not worry about work parties etc right now.

Just take small steps. Focus on your job & small interactions with people.

Maybe cut back on the drink also?

Hi Donnie

I try and find out firstly how many people are going to be at the night out befiore deciding on if i should go or the best excuse i can come up with

i am doing CBT at the moment. was asked if there was a specific moment in life which has mad me feel this way. I said no. But recently have veeb trying to go back and think of bad things which have happened and i came up with one

When i was 22 i was takin E's and coke every weekend

One time my dealer gave me a big bag of speed which was over the top in terms of quantity

Got that fcuked up on i reailsed my jeans were dirty so went to the nearest train station and climbed to the top and waited for a train to arrive before trying to jump off

luckily my mates were calling me non stop so decided against it. I can vaguely remember being at a party at the night before and was convinced i was being laughed at cos my jeans were dirty. White jeans btw lol

These days i just feel i dont add much cos i am so quiet without a drink in me

i am desperste to fight it and want to just get on in life

concentrating on the job at the moment but in time i know the work night will come

i am very quiet that some folk may think it seems ignorant

Hi slenderman

i have stopped my meds

was also given propanolol but havent taken them as much

drink is my only wee fallback

if i could go out and enjoy myself without it then i would give the drink a rest believe me

drink makes me open up. Dont have much feelings without it

it just flicks a switch

Hi slenderman

i have stopped my meds

was also given propanolol but havent taken them as much

drink is my only wee fallback

if i could go out and enjoy myself without it then i would give the drink a rest believe me

drink makes me open up. Dont have much feelings without it

it just flicks a switch

My social anxiety is quite bad, i chew my nails because I would scratch my arms to f**k if i had them. I'm usually okay with going out so i cant comprehend how bad it must be for you.

My GP recommended breathing exercises and meditation, he had SA and said the breathing changed his life.

Me thinks the problem with SA is over analysis of situations.

I have been on Sertraline for 4 weeks now and today i finally felt different. The SA isnt as bad and there is some serotonin kicking about in my head. I had the most miserable day today but have managed to feel okay.

Anti depressents work differently on everyone so maybe just try others until you find the right one

I

Luckily the footy is back on tonight so that will take my mind off a few things for a few hours

I think the football is genuinely a big help in these situations. It's one thing that'll always draw my full attention anyway (it's hard to not care about your team!). Here's to a Hibees win.

I honestly don't think I'm depressed and reading this thread has made me see people are worse off than me. However, I am just fed up with everything. I can't see me getting wound up or genuinely excited about the foreseeable future. Whenever I have free time I just end up excessively drinking for no real reason.

ok here goes

basically fucked up in the head for roughly past years

mainly social anxiety and slightly depressed

been given fluoxetine which has helped with the depression but not the SA

i am terrified of going out if it involves more than one person. I can cope if just goin out with someone and thats it

Anytime i am out all i can think of is just being back home cos i feel safe there

To compensate i end up getting smashed as a coping mechanism which sometimes leads to other problems

i have started a new job and its been going well but the work night out will arrive at some point

I want to fit in as much as i can but at the same time i want to keep myself to myself

Any others with social anxiety with tips on coping in the office?

Going through a very similar situation to you, lost all my friends apart from one and he died last year.

Took a betrayal very badly and developed mild social anxiety and depression as a result. For about ten years apart from work I was hardly out the house.

Took to drinking on my own and put on weight and just became bitter about what happened.

Best thing I can advise is to start some sort, any sort, of exercise. You can do it alone at first and meet up with others once you feel more confident.

Like you I struggle in social situations, it can be frustrating as it's holding back my career at work. I know I have great ideas and I am as good as others in higher positions but just hold back for fear of rejection. Same goes for dating and finding new friends.

Last year was hell, the one friend who understood me passed away and because of my withdrawal I didn't get a chance to go to his funeral.

Recently though I have started getting more confident through exercise and trying very hard to reach out and speak to people at work.

Regarding the night out, just have a few drinks and have a taxi booked to pick you up early doors. People will still think you tried to be sociable.

Everyone else is shitting themselves too and hide it by small talk or acting confident, just go with an attitude of thinking you have something valuable to offer conversations. If people don't like it that says more about them than you.

Whenever I have a good day head wise I can never shake the thought of "I wonder if i'll feel down tomorrow?". I just cant seem to shake the fact that I'm going through a bad patch just now and that it might all get better. The fear that i'll get worse and worse is now ingrained in my head. And I feel like I have the "stigma" of depression hanging over me.

Whenever I have a good day head wise I can never shake the thought of "I wonder if i'll feel down tomorrow?". I just cant seem to shake the fact that I'm going through a bad patch just now and that it might all get better. The fear that i'll get worse and worse is now ingrained in my head. And I feel like I have the "stigma" of depression hanging over me.

Have you seen anyone about this?

I cannot prescribe what might help, but CBT might be useful.