Depression

Life never really gets that bad. There is always something you can do to cheer yourself up.

Aye aye.

Why bother posting such shite? Why not just hold your laughable views and not bother posting?

Negativity

An inability to enjoy things which were once pleasurable in life

Weight loss or weight gain

Loss of energy or motivation

Loss of sex-drive

Disturbed sleep

Social withdrawal

Hmmmm....I have about 7 of them but have never thought of myself as depressed. Is it possible to be depressed without knowing about it.

Life never really gets that bad. There is always something you can do to cheer yourself up.

Read back some of the posts on this thread and just look at how open and brave some people have been in talking about and discussing theirs and others condition.

Maybe then you'll realise what an utter fucking dick you are.

That applies to folk who say they are "depressed", but in reality are just suffering from a dose of the poor me's, it is what I do myself occasionally when I'm feeling sorry for myself . However, it is absolutely no use to someone with clinical depression.

Negativity

An inability to enjoy things which were once pleasurable in life

Weight loss or weight gain

Loss of energy or motivation

Loss of sex-drive

Disturbed sleep

Social withdrawal

Hmmmm....I have about 7 of them but have never thought of myself as depressed. Is it possible to be depressed without knowing about it.

I would say so.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Can I recommend you all have a look on google for a scheme called "The Key" by Christine McGrory.

I went to a conference where she was speaking for a few hours and it really helped me think about a lot of things in a more positive way.

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen Fry has spoken about a suicide attempt he made last year, in an interview with Richard Herring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22782913

Interesting, I watched Stephen Fry's documentary on mental health and he said he didn't take medication, but here he says he does.

Stephen Fry has spoken about a suicide attempt he made last year, in an interview with Richard Herring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22782913

Interesting, I watched Stephen Fry's documentary on mental health and he said he didn't take medication, but here he says he does.

Amazing isn't it? A guy who is intelligent, funny, talented, and admired by many - and he still thinks so little of himself that he wants to end his own life.

Amazing isn't it? A guy who is intelligent, funny, talented, and admired by many - and he still thinks so little of himself that he wants to end his own life.

Are you talking about me :D

I'd say that's a good sign - you must be feeling a lot better about yourself - glad to hear it - keep it up!

Yeah its helped getting a job, somewhere to lice and i met a nice girl and she's a massive jambo :D so things are looking up :D just need to stop talking shit then i could be a normal human being :D

Just read through this entire thread and its given me the courage to finally talk about what I've been living through secretly for at least ten years.

At high school I was really happy and had lots of friends and was popular, life seemed easier and when I was around 13/14 I started going around with a different group of friends more often. For whatever reason one or two of them conspired behind my back and made up lies about how I told someone not to fight back when one of them was fighting them. I was mates with this other person but this was an outright lie. Outside school I was attacked without warning by one of my so called friends and all the rest backed them up. For about three or four weeks I had to put up with abuse and my life was hell. I've always been quite quiet and didn't really respond and try to find out why and who did this. After I while they let me pal about with them again but it was never the same, they were quiet aggressive towards other groups who I used to be friendly with so there was slowly only one group I could hang about with. I went about with them after school for a while but looking back the friendship seemed toxic and when we were out I was always drinking loads and taking drugs to try and cover up this and stop me from being so quiet.

It was around this time that I wised up and realised that the friendships were really one sided, apart from one or two friends. I started hanging about with them more but unfortunately they both left and joined the armed forces and I lost contact due to this and working shifts and weekends.

I started to stay in at the weekends drinking heavily and stopping exercise, I guess it was then that my depression really stared. I went from one dead end job to the next. I ended up at the same place as one of the original group of friends and not only did he ignore me I noticed him laughing and talking about me with others at a table. Mind you by this time I was quite fat and I didn't really give a shit about my appearance.

I also had to out up with a few ex friends pissed up at a football pub at was at with my old man and they started taking the piss.

After the third company in a row shut down, a week after I finally got a full time contract, I managed to land my first decent job in over five years.

I was determined to make a go of this job and really tried hard to get along with my new colleagues. Unfortunately my boss had other ideas and began a five year cycle of abuse and torment. Little by little I would again see colleagues turn against me for no apparent reason. I had no clue as to what was happening until I looked up a bullying site and it was almost like looking in a mirror. I started following their ideas and documented everything for over six months then as soon as I approached them about it they ran to hr and complained about me. I had to face the md and hr, who was basically the bullies friend, taking pot shots at me and calling me paranoid, even though I had written evidence and even one recording of them at it. I was told either to shut up or I would be sacked.

After five years of this and it realising that it was making me ill I had to leave.

Looking back it wasn't the jibes and put downs that were hurtful it was the outright lies and seeing decent people suddenly become enablers just to fit in and start the cycle of bullying. I did manage to tell one new start about what was really going on and the helped me immensely. I also had to get help from my family who helped me deal with it. I used to come home and just sit and feel terrible, sometimes I was close to tears and one day having tea with my mum and dad I just borked down and had to tell them about it.

From this low I started exercising and lost three stone, I also stopped drinking pretty much. Despite me losing three stone the arsehole boss decided that it was just a baggy jumper. On top of this his sidekick left and I took on at least half of his tasks and did them well, despite getting abused and sabotaged.

I managed to get out of there and moved into a new job and a new house. Unfortunately my new neighbours were weirdos and had a dispute with the previous owners and were still taking it out on me. I have had to suffer them banging about and complaining about stupid stuff since I moved in but recently it has got better.

One day when I was again spending a Saturday night on my own I was watching a film and part of the plot was about death. I suddenly had a panic attack and realised that for the last ten years or so I have been locking myself away from society instead of facing up to what one or two arseholes have done to me over the years.

I got back in contact with my original friends and little by little I managed to get back on contact. I sent a really heartfelt message to two of them, one of which was the person I suspected of lying all these years ago, and they completely ignored it.

Eventually I managed to meet up with them and had a quite uncomfortable night at a concert where one of them openly said that they didn't want to sit near me and another tried to make out I was gay or something.

Not all of them were like this though so I continued to try to prove myself with them despite this. This was around a year ago and I can count on one hand the times I have been out with them. I went out once or twice with work colleagues and had a much better time with almost complete strangers, I think this says it all.

I think I need to speak to a professional about how to deal with the last ten years and maybe how to trust people again. I know that it was just bad luck but sometimes I get really introspective and down and start to think that somehow it must be me, like because I'm quiet and have decent manners that people just take advantage and walk all over me. Because of the bullying I can now see it coming a mile away and have nipped it in the bud straight away. I realise that people abuse others because they are insecure themselves and it is a sign of weakness.

I have never been diagnosed for depression but I was incredibly withdrawn from society, apart from work and family for around ten years. Sometimes I feel angry and disgusted about why I let this happen but can't really talk to anyone about it. Part of me wants to be normal and go out every weekend but usually my negative side wins and tells me to stop trying to contact these people as you keep getting hurt, like some sort of self defence mechanism.

I did actually think about physically attacking one of them as in my mind they were responsible for ruining a large part of my life. Maybe I do need to confront them, but why would any other friends care now?

It certainly pisses me off and I think about it at least once or twice a day, every day.

I'm guessing that this tone comes across in a lot of my posts on here.

I just wish that I could flick a switch and stop thinking about it and find a decent group of people who can appreciate me for who I am, I get on fine with work colleagues but they all have their own lives and I am scared of opening up to them.

I've thought about Internet dating etc but always feel like I'm not ready or perhaps someone would run a mile if a told them what I've been through.

All I know is that since the panic attack I know myself that something isn't right with staying in and wasting more time.

Sorry if this is a big read but I wondered what others might think about this situation.

I don't feel suicidal or anything just constantly annoyed and this takes a lot of energy out of me and I get highs and lows as a result.

I'm on the Kindle at the moment so a full on reply is a pain in the arse to type out. For now though, well done for sharing and getting this stuff out. It can't have been easy for you to type and post it all but I hope it's been cathartic for you.