Sons' sorrow

Not sure I agree it's any better than pointless friendlies, they're dishing out extra points for draws and deciding games on penalties after 90 minutes. That's the sort of thing I'd expect from a pishy pre-season tournament. It also means that we will most likely need to pay players for longer, given that the season will start earlier without finishing any earlier. Not impressed with the idea at all, especially seen as we've already binned the idea in the past because fans didn't want it.

My issue lies more with wanting to progress in the cup.

A group consisting of Morton, St Mirren, Thistle and Rangers or Celtic would be pish and give us nae chance of getting through. I'm not against regionalising as long as it's fair e.g. we don't end up with more top level clubs than the more northernly based teams.

My issue lies more with wanting to progress in the cup.

A group consisting of Morton, St Mirren, Thistle and Rangers or Celtic would be pish and give us nae chance of getting through. I'm not against regionalising as long as it's fair e.g. we don't end up with more top level clubs than the more northernly based teams.

I doubt Celtic would be in the group stages but I know what your saying. We're hideous in the league cup anyway so it would be an opportunity to maximise income that would otherwise be frittered on pointless friendlies. The crowds would be up with a home tie against Morton/Partick rather than an away friendly against Civil Service. That income could be the difference in signing a player or not.

I agree about the penalty shootout thing though, it seems a bit American but again trying to be positive it could make the difference in going through or not.

Let's hope they opt for a regionalised group of West Dunbartonshire.

Edited by the snudge

Not sure I agree it's any better than pointless friendlies, they're dishing out extra points for draws and deciding games on penalties after 90 minutes. That's the sort of thing I'd expect from a pishy pre-season tournament. It also means that we will most likely need to pay players for longer, given that the season will start earlier without finishing any earlier. Not impressed with the idea at all, especially seen as we've already binned the idea in the past because fans didn't want it.

Spot on.

The changes to the league cup are too much for me.

The idea of having penalty shots at full time if the game is a draw to determine an extra point is just trying too hard. It's common in North American sports and I can see the irony given that my avatar is the Clan logo but whilst I'd advocate hockey's customer focus in making match nights better, I don't want to see football Americanised.

Is it really going to add anything to the competition? Not for me.

Scotland has 3 cup competitions: The Scottish Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup. That's at least 1 too many. I can see value in retaining the Challenge cup and having it as a tournament for the Championship, Leagues 1 and 2 and for the Highland and Lowland leagues. There's an argument to be made that by having a group stage and starting a cup tournament in the summer, clubs would have greater participation. The danger is that the big clubs treat it with contempt and the smaller clubs see it as an inconvenience compared to league matters. Then there's the issue of familiarity breeding contempt. Do we really want to see another couple of games against the likes of Morton guaranteed?

I'd bin the league cup, retain the Scottish and revamp the Challenge. I can see merit in an exclusively lower league cup to give teams from the lower divisions a realistic chance of reaching a cup final. I'd maybe even have the earliest rounds seeded with the smaller team having the home game for the first couple of rounds to give fans the chance of an enjoyable summer away day - I could see Dumbarton taking a full bus and some independents on a summer jaunt to a Highland league side and it would be a cracking away day.

Yet more slogs against the likes of Thistle, Rangers, Morton and St Mirren? No thanks.

I actually quite like the fact they are trying something different that should hopefully do away with some pointless friendlies. We're all quick to berate them when they sit back and do hee haw so credit where it's due for securing a TV deal with BT and trying something different with one of the less popular competitions. Had it been the Scottish cup I may view it differently

All the group games are played over a 2 week period in July so there will be no issues with clubs taking league games more seriously etc.

I'm not overly keen on the bonus point thing but it's something that could work. It means with every game there's something to play for. I will judge that once it's in action.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works. The cash generated from the new format is 100% more beneficial than what we currently have. Whether it all works and fans enjoy it remains to be seen but I'm all for it.