Sons' sorrow

Aye it's discussed in our wasteland thread with a link to the original article. I reckon it'll be Docherty today though.

In case anyone's unaware, anything posted here after 8pm two days ago will be wiped when the full site goes back online. You'd be best to drop in to the Wasteland thread here as that's where the missing people from this thread are.

Isn't the wasteland stuff going to be obliterated too though?

So we're all wasting our time even more than normal!

Massive gamble by Aitken and he's probably used up Nade's salary securing him. If he can get Stevo fit and played in the right position, something McCall failed to achieve then you could have a fantastic player on your hands. However, if he is still lacking mobility then his contribution will be free kicks and long range screamers. Good luck Stevo you'll always be a legend in my book.

May have been a 4v3 League Cup defeat at home to Arbroath in August '59.  A Sons side featuring veteran ex-Hearts star Freddie Glidden and future Scotland manager John Prentice, lost to a last minute goal from Arbroath legend Dave Easson.  Sadly, history repeated itself a few years later. A 4v3 home defeat to Arbroath in Dec '67.  Ex-Third Lanark winger Ian Henderson scored a hat-trick for us, but the Lichties equalised late on, then the prolific Jimmy Jack hit a last minute winner :(

'59 sounds about right but I remember my Dad saying Jimmy Jack had scored the goal. Perhaps I'm getting the two games confused.

May have been a 4v3 League Cup defeat at home to Arbroath in August '59.  A Sons side featuring veteran ex-Hearts star Freddie Glidden and future Scotland manager John Prentice, lost to a last minute goal from Arbroath legend Dave Easson.  Sadly, history repeated itself a few years later. A 4v3 home defeat to Arbroath in Dec '67.  Ex-Third Lanark winger Ian Henderson scored a hat-trick for us, but the Lichties equalised late on, then the prolific Jimmy Jack hit a last minute winner :(

I was at the '67 Arbroath game and remember it as being a pretty exciting match. Pretty sure Henderson equalised late on with a penalty, before Arbroath scored the winner at the death. I remember getting home from that game and listening to The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour double EP which my older brother had just bought! I can't for the life of me remember the name of the record shop in Dumbarton at that time. Was it Humble's?.

My first game was in season 66/67, against Montrose at Boghead. Other than the fact that we won 2-0, I can't remember much about it, except I think Montrose wore a white top with two blue hoops. I went to another couple of games that season, one of which was against Third Lanark. I also remember us playing Rangers Reserves on a Friday night under the lights, but that was probably the following season. I think the game ended 2-2 and John McGoldrick might have scored both goals. Rangers wore blue and white stripes. Another Friday night game around then I remember was against Ross County in a friendly. I have a feeling we won 1-0 and Jim Lynas scored. Is there anyone else out there that recalls either of these games? I'm guessing these Friday night games might have been played due to our having a blank Saturday when there were 19 teams in Division 2?

I was at the '67 Arbroath game and remember it as being a pretty exciting match. Pretty sure Henderson equalised late on with a penalty, before Arbroath scored the winner at the death. I remember getting home from that game and listening to The Beatles Magical Mystery Tour double EP which my older brother had just bought! I can't for the life of me remember the name of the record shop in Dumbarton at that time. Was it Humble's?.

My first game was in season 66/67, against Montrose at Boghead. Other than the fact that we won 2-0, I can't remember much about it, except I think Montrose wore a white top with two blue hoops. I went to another couple of games that season, one of which was against Third Lanark. I also remember us playing Rangers Reserves on a Friday night under the lights, but that was probably the following season. I think the game ended 2-2 and John McGoldrick might have scored both goals. Rangers wore blue and white stripes. Another Friday night game around then I remember was against Ross County in a friendly. I have a feeling we won 1-0 and Jim Lynas scored. Is there anyone else out there that recalls either of these games? I'm guessing these Friday night games might have been played due to our having a blank Saturday when there were 19 teams in Division 2?

Ian 'Twiggy' Henderson did indeed equalise late on with a penalty into the Silverton End, only for Jimmy Jack of the huge proboscis to nab a late winner. 

The music shop was probably Mullen's in College Street; Humble's was a cycle and toy shop on Bridge Street where the Glencairn Pub currently stands.

My first Sons game was a 4-2 victory over East Fife on April 13th 1960, notable for being Hughie Gallacher's last game at Boghead.

Ian 'Twiggy' Henderson did indeed equalise late on with a penalty into the Silverton End, only for Jimmy Jack of the huge proboscis to nab a late winner. 

The music shop was probably Mullen's in College Street; Humble's was a cycle and toy shop on Bridge Street where the Glencairn Pub currently stands.

My first Sons game was a 4-2 victory over East Fife on April 13th 1960, notable for being Hughie Gallacher's last game at Boghead.

Thank you O'KI III. Yes, College Street was the shop I was thinking of. Used to love going in there when I was a kid. Usually followed by a trip to Casci's and Minnie Steele's! It being a toy shop, is probably why the name Humble meant something to me.

Stevenson is clearly a risk but one worth taking if we're to compete and retain our league status next season. We obviously can't get away with being the best of the part time teams this time round. Some Rick Flair will be required to keep us up.

I see on the Official Site that we're looking for helpers on match days.

Applicants must be 15 years old.

Baffling - what work do they do that requires them to be 15? Or could it be a mis-type?

I see on the Official Site that we're looking for helpers on match days.

Applicants must be 15 years old.

Baffling - what work do they do that requires them to be 15? Or could it be a mis-type?

Or could it be that if they are under 16 they can pay them less

Just looking at the weird and wonderful teams that can take part in the petrofac cup. Could Burntisland shipyard be the team to put us out this season. Interesting to see if Tommy can arrange a bus for a Tuesday night game away to coleraine. No doubt we we will still draw Stranraer and lose with a last minute goal.