Sons' sorrow

I haven't seen Kassarate play but I can say with absolute certainty that he's brilliant.

I don't see anything wrong with looking for versatile players, especially if we need to run with a small squad. We're clearly going to have a team of hard working b*****ds and hope that the likes of Stirling, Stevenson and I assume the loan player we're after to provide the quality. It's also clear that McCallum is going to have a big part in this season, which is something we've all been waiting for - perhaps being forced to use him more often will be a good thing. It's not ideal but I think it's doing the best with what we've got.

I don't see any need for panic before a competitive ball is kicked.

There is no clear panic but absolutely some major concerns around the size of squad we're running with.

If one of our paltry '18' gets injured we already can't fill the bench. Imagine what would happen if 3 or 4 got injured. A bench of 4 which includes a goalie, Ryan Clark and this mysterious u20 international :lol:

I understand that staying in this division doesn't come cheap but what the hell has happened to see us end up in a nick where we can only afford to recruit 18 players? Especially after chopping the u20s and losing big earners like Nade, Routledge and Saunders off the wage bill? Add to that the fact that half the squad appear to have been offered lesser deals than last season. Concerning IMO.

There is no clear panic but absolutely some major concerns around the size of squad we're running with.

If one of our paltry '18' gets injured we already can't fill the bench. Imagine what would happen if 3 or 4 got injured. A bench of 4 which includes a goalie, Ryan Clark and this mysterious u20 international :lol:

I understand that staying in this division doesn't come cheap but what the hell has happened to see us end up in a nick where we can only afford to recruit 18 players? Especially after chopping the u20s and losing big earners like Nade, Routledge and Saunders off the wage bill? Add to that the fact that half the squad appear to have been offered lesser deals than last season. Concerning IMO.

Was Saunders really on that much?  I'm not convinced he was, injury prone and struggling to find a club.  

We clearly backed Stevie last year financially after some errors made in recruitment, clearly Stevie knew this year would be tough.  We may have lost Nade and Routledge who obviously weren't cheap but we've added Andy Stirling and Ryan Stevenson who I would guess won't be far away from matching those combined wages.

I'm not sure what people want though, we don't have the money to run a bigger squad so our choices are run with a small squad or borrow money we don't have/can't pay back.  I think we need to accept that this will be tougher than any Championship season before and we're going to do it with less resources than we've had before. The alternative is to run up debt which only moves the problem we currently have onto the next season (and probably makes it 10 times worse/more difficult to get out of).

The way I see it is if we level the books this year and go down then we're sitting in a good position going into a League 1 season and hopefully challenge at the top end.  If we spend money hoping to stay up this year and fail then we're looking at trying to level the books with much smaller attendances, which you would assume lead to even further budget cutting.  Whilst it is far from ideal, it looks to me to be the best way forward.

I quite like the idea of a smaller squad of fit, hardworking players with a handful of creative guys. It makes it easier to stick with a settled team and to know the strongest starting XI, something which seemed to be an issue last season. Who's Ryan Clark?

I'd imagine with pre-season starting on Saturday we might see a few trialists there. That might be our best hope for new signings, rather than offering sought after players deals, invite some who haven't got any (decent) offers on the table along and see what they can do.

Agree Moonster, it'll be tougher than ever this year, but I don't want us wasting money trying to stay up. We go down, we go down, it was always going to happen at some point. I want us to be in the best possible position to assemble a good squad to get back up if the worst should happen.

Edit: Ryan Clark, Pete, young winger (younger than me iirc) who made his debut at Palmerston in April 2 seasons ago. Played the following week for the last 10 minutes or so at home to Raith in Murray's last game in charge.

Think he broke his leg early on in this season, was shipped out to Arthurlie on loan in January, played once as a sub before they sacked their manager (iirc) and didn't get a look in.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Edit: Ryan Clark, Pete, young winger (younger than me iirc) who made his debut at Palmerston in April 2 seasons ago. Played the following week for the last 10 minutes or so at home to Raith in Murray's last game in charge.

Think he broke his leg early on in this season, was shipped out to Arthurlie on loan in January, played once as a sub before they sacked their manager (iirc) and didn't get a look in.

He sounds amazing. I'm going to get Clark on the back of a replica strip.

Was Saunders really on that much? I'm not convinced he was, injury prone and struggling to find a club.

We clearly backed Stevie last year financially after some errors made in recruitment, clearly Stevie knew this year would be tough. We may have lost Nade and Routledge who obviously weren't cheap but we've added Andy Stirling and Ryan Stevenson who I would guess won't be far away from matching those combined wages.

I'm not sure what people want though, we don't have the money to run a bigger squad so our choices are run with a small squad or borrow money we don't have/can't pay back. I think we need to accept that this will be tougher than any Championship season before and we're going to do it with less resources than we've had before. The alternative is to run up debt which only moves the problem we currently have onto the next season (and probably makes it 10 times worse/more difficult to get out of).

The way I see it is if we level the books this year and go down then we're sitting in a good position going into a League 1 season and hopefully challenge at the top end. If we spend money hoping to stay up this year and fail then we're looking at trying to level the books with much smaller attendances, which you would assume lead to even further budget cutting. Whilst it is far from ideal, it looks to me to be the best way forward.

I'd take relegation with zero points over any form of financial mis-management in order to remain in the league. I'm sure most would agree.

My point is that had things been managed better last season and maybe even beyond that, cuts would not be necessarry. It's about finding a balance and clearly we've made a bit of an arse of it in that sense. It would also suggest Stevie required an inflated budget to scrape survival with a pretty pish Alloa and Livi team in the league. This also does not fill one with confidence.

PITK.

I'd take relegation with zero points over any form of financial mis-management in order to remain in the league. I'm sure most would agree.

My point is that had things been managed better last season and maybe even beyond that, cuts would not be necessarry. It's about finding a balance and clearly we've made a bit of an arse of it in that sense. It would also suggest Stevie required an inflated budget to scrape survival with a pretty pish Alloa and Livi team in the league. This also does not fill one with confidence.

PITK.

Aye, it's not been ideal and it was recruitment last summer that forced us into spending a bit more but nobody would've traded watching Nade and the likes last year for having a bit more cash to play with this year - we would most likely have gone down too without his goals.

You can learn a lot in a year in football, neither of our management team strike me as unintelligent and I have faith that they have a better idea on quality of player required this year.

Financial stability is a must, maybe expecting relegation due to the competitiveness of the league next season, under dogs again, we just have to get behind the manager and the players,and be a 12yh man, who has an idea for an uplifting song

Financial stability is a must, maybe expecting relegation due to the competitiveness of the league next season, under dogs again, we just have to get behind the manager and the players,and be a 12yh man, who has an idea for an uplifting song

We hate Bankies & we hate Bankies,

We are the Bankieeeees, haters!

Classic.

So8, Christopher McDonald, search please

Found a few match reports from Rangers U17 games

Here, here and here and this picture here but couldn't find any statistics or anything on Transfermarkt unfortunately.

This is excellent from the club by the way, hopefully brings in a few fans of the future, massive credit to them for it.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08