Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

:lol:

So it's okay to not hand over money to Celtic but it's morally wrong when it's Annan? Bit of a strange outlook. Fox even came through Celtic's youth system, unlike Todd who got paid to do a job. Celtic would've invested far more in Fox than Annan did with Todd.

They did, though they were asking a six figure fee for someone who hadn't even played for their first team. Fox had been professional with Celtic. He didn't leave straight out of their youth team, and had been out of football for a year or so and already re-registered himself as an amateur before he came to us. We offered him training facilities as a favour and he ended up signing for three months or something before joining Dundee when he was able to.

It is slightly different to signing someone as an amateur because you were unable to do a deal to sign him as a professional, if indeed that's what happened, I don't know. We were never in the market to sign Fox as a professional. However, I'm making no moral judgement on it. It is what it is and it's for the authorities to sort out if Annan think there's any ground for complaint. Had Annan actually gotten a fee we'd probably be due about a fiver of it!

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No, Monkey Tennis posted the word "nonsense" with respect to the suggestion that if something was within the letter of the law it couldn't be immoral. And he's right, that clearly is nonsense. He hasn't offered any opinion about Dumbarton's actions either so far as I can see.

No, I never said it couldn't be immoral. My point was whether it was right or not was irrelevant. 

13 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Is this a possibility? I see the article on the official site has been changed as theirs no mention of him signing as an amateur now.

Fox was under different circumstances and I certainly have no issue with our club not handing over money to Celtic

There was never anything on our os about the nature of his contract. The only thing we've seen was the Scotsman article which his agent clearly disputed so to tell the truth none of us really know the score.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

There was never anything on our os about the nature of his contract. The only thing we've seen was the Scotsman article which his agent clearly disputed so to tell the truth none of us really know the score.

Ah, ok, sorry. I thought Id read that on the OS

The bit about him signing as an amateur in the Scotsman is a direct quote from Aitken though.

Guess we'll see what comes out of it then

They did, though they were asking a six figure fee for someone who hadn't even played for their first team. Fox had been professional with Celtic. He didn't leave straight out of their youth team, and had been out of football for a year or so and already re-registered himself as an amateur before he came to us. We offered him training facilities as a favour and he ended up signing for three months or something before joining Dundee when he was able to.

It is slightly different to signing someone as an amateur because you were unable to do a deal to sign him as a professional, if indeed that's what happened, I don't know. We were never in the market to sign Fox as a professional. However, I'm making no moral judgement on it. It is what it is and it's for the authorities to sort out if Annan think there's any ground for complaint. Had Annan actually gotten a fee we'd probably be due about a fiver of it!

Fair enough, fair enough.

Mr X's reasoning however, is utter tripe :lol:

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Ah, ok, sorry. I thought Id read that on the OS

The bit about him signing as an amateur in the Scotsman is a direct quote from Aitken though.

Guess we'll see what comes out of it then

No worries, you are quite right in that Aitken said:

Dumbarton manager Stephen Aitken said: “It was a difficult situation for everyone as Annan were quite within their rights to ask for compensation. We do not have a budget to pay anything like that so it looked like Josh was going to have to return to League 2 with Annan or take a break from the game.

“However, his agent approached us and said that he was willing to join as an amateur and play on that basis for us next season. I am delighted to bring him here but I must admit I do have sympathy for Annan.”

I guess we'll have to wait for the Reporter article this week to know what's actually going on.

2 minutes ago, optimistic said:

You weren't there, you can't comment, to you it was a meaningless game 

To be fair to ayetherock we didn't deserve to win the game - and I was there for every frustrating minute of it!

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Well that and the response from the Agent to Northfield's question on twitter which agreed Dumbarton had got him a job outside football, since deleted. Did the agent actually dispute the article or just offer to give them the exact story? I think that's been deleted since too hasn't it?

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well that and the response from the Agent to Northfield's question on twitter which agreed Dumbarton had got him a job outside football, since deleted. Did the agent actually dispute the article or just offer to give them the exact story? I think that's been deleted since too hasn't it?

Give me a minute!

Here we are, this is still here, although the response about the job was deleted shortly after I posted it on here. I reckon that's the truth to be honest, but as it's above board I don't see the need to hide it.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

21 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

No, I never said it couldn't be immoral. My point was whether it was right or not was irrelevant. 

You said "The right thing to do is to work within the rules".  That was in response to people questioning what was morally right.

I think a reading of such remarks as implying that so long as rules aren't broken, then the right thing is being done, is not too fanciful.

It was that sentiment that I objected to.

14 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

No worries, you are quite right in that Aitken said:

Dumbarton manager Stephen Aitken said: “It was a difficult situation for everyone as Annan were quite within their rights to ask for compensation. We do not have a budget to pay anything like that so it looked like Josh was going to have to return to League 2 with Annan or take a break from the game.

“However, his agent approached us and said that he was willing to join as an amateur and play on that basis for us next season. I am delighted to bring him here but I must admit I do have sympathy for Annan.”

I guess we'll have to wait for the Reporter article this week to know what's actually going on.

To be fair to ayetherock we didn't deserve to win the game - and I was there for every frustrating minute of it!

The way it seems to be that JT didnt want to play for Annan but wanted to play with a club at a higher level.Given money being tight for most SPFL clubs not one of them was willing to pay Compensation ourselves included.So he signs as an amateur in order to do that.Annan can have no gripe with DFC about this.If anything their anger  ought to be directed at the player.ITS WIN (JT)-WIN(DFC)-LOSE (AAFC).But as someone mentioned earlier he played 3 seasons in the Annan first team and his development was mainly with Carlisle.Of course AAFC are upset they wanted the much needed cash....

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

This is tragic reading

It certainly seems that the Sons have these southern luvvies all in a tizzy, weirder still that it isn't even concerning their club.

Dumbarton FC - the only show in town.

Some people really are getting all up tight about us signing a guy who clearly just wants to play football. Whether we have paid (we havnt) or he himself, or his agents, or another 3rd party have paid his compensation or we have signed him on an amateur deal then it doesn't really matter. What I'm sure about is that DFC havnt done anything wrong and I hope he scores a barrowload for us and gets us to at least 8th place

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

:lol:

So it's okay to not hand over money to Celtic but it's morally wrong when it's Annan? Bit of a strange outlook. Fox even came through Celtic's youth system, unlike Todd who got paid to do a job. Celtic would've invested far more in Fox than Annan did with Todd.

You can't compare taking a fallen apple from the King's orchard to stealing food from the mouths of bairns.

11 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2565

He's playing as an amateur because he wants to play up a level, we've not got him a job or anything away from the game, it's as simple as it seems. Apparently.

Clearly Josh Todd, like the Pie & Bovril Queen of the South supporters, was simply unable to resist the lure of the only show in town.