Sons' sorrow

Just now, bobby carlos said:

I am mate, wasn't at the first match as was down in Liverpool which was booked months ago. Bus leaves at 4.30 and we're booked into a bowling club but not sure the name.

Rock Bowling Club? Next to Dumbarton Castle, 100 yards beyond the Stadium

I see the local paper has reproduced Dumbarton director Mr Wilson's denial of tax evasion this week. But what he's actually accused of is aggressive tax avoidance, which he has hasn't denied. He just says he's not involved with that company anymore. But what about when he was and what about others? Why have no fans written to the papers about this?

7 minutes ago, TheSifter said:

I see the local paper has reproduced Dumbarton director Mr Wilson's denial of tax evasion this week. But what he's actually accused of is aggressive tax avoidance, which he has hasn't denied. He just says he's not involved with that company anymore. But what about when he was and what about others? Why have no fans written to the papers about this?

Tax evasion is illegal. Tax avoidance is something that most self employed people and company directors employ accountants to do legally. The company that Wilson invested in was claiming allowances which were, er....disallowed. He's made a loss by speculating at the margins of illegality. No sympathy for him.

I don't know how easy it is to do, but is there any chance that the webmaster of the The Sons Archive could amend the entry for '50s legend Thomas Whalen? He was my dad's favourite player and so far as I'm aware, he was never referred to as anything other than Tim Whalen by supporters, although I appreciate that he was christened Thomas. The shortening of his name to "Tom" on the site seems a bit odd. Please don't take it as a criticism, as I get a lot of enjoyment from the site and appreciate the enormous amount of work that has gone into creating and maintaining it as a valuable resource.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

I don't know how easy it is to do, but is there any chance that the webmaster of the The Sons Archive could amend the entry for '50s legend Thomas Whalen? 

The webmaster's email is provided at the bottom of the front page of the Sons Archive site. I'm sure he'll help.

Watched the highlights sons tv package there; hard to disagree with Stevie in terms of injuries and the players effort.

With all the injuries another round in the cup could be a great help come january and the transfer window.

8 hours ago, TheSifter said:

'Cos it's not the 70s?  Hardly anyone buys papers any more.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

'Cos it's not the 70s?  Hardly anyone buys papers any more.

Well many folk still buy local papers out of habit and to see who's deid, etc., and in that regard both The Reporter and The Lennox have recently done a sterling job in airing a wide range of issues and opinions on the proposed new stadium. 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well many folk still buy local papers out of habit and to see who's deid, etc., and in that regard both The Reporter and The Lennox have recently done a sterling job in airing a wide range of issues and opinions on the proposed new stadium. 

Yup, so also writing in seems a pretty superfluous activity. Better saving the effort for elsewhere.

10 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

I don't know how easy it is to do, but is there any chance that the webmaster of the The Sons Archive could amend the entry for '50s legend Thomas Whalen? He was my dad's favourite player and so far as I'm aware, he was never referred to as anything other than Tim Whalen by supporters, although I appreciate that he was christened Thomas. The shortening of his name to "Tom" on the site seems a bit odd. Please don't take it as a criticism, as I get a lot of enjoyment from the site and appreciate the enormous amount of work that has gone into creating and maintaining it as a valuable resource.

Done!

17 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Tax evasion is illegal. Tax avoidance is something that most self employed people and company directors employ accountants to do legally. The company that Wilson invested in was claiming allowances which were, er....disallowed. He's made a loss by speculating at the margins of illegality. No sympathy for him.

I provided background on this previously, here: 

The trust has made its feelings about this clear to the board through its representative. We are on the public record calling for probity and transparency from the owners, and will continue to press those issues practically. 

HMRC says: "Tax avoidance involves bending the rules of the tax system to gain a tax advantage that Parliament never intended. It often involves contrived, artificial transactions that serve little or no purpose other than to produce this advantage. It involves operating within the letter, but not the spirit, of the law."

In most areas of business there are now rigorous moves to root out such practices, but within football (and, regrettably, among many fans) there is still much shoulder-shrugging. One of the many reasons that the business side of football is not in a good place, many would argue.