Sons' sorrow

I tweeted him in heat of the moment, and still a bit raging about that daft grin after the game at Bonnyrigg. Shite move from me, agree that shouldn't be done. I still 100% want him out though.

I had actually forgot about mark brown picking up a decent wage no doubt. Surely someone must be after an experienced keeper?

No sure if Nade would have the same impact again, probably worth a gamble but have my doubts.

Cracking post by so8 a few pages back summarising aitkens time here, absolute shite covered with a few good results.

I have to disagree slightly here. Fans want answers and they feel that may be the way to get them. Yes it's a personal account but by having social media he's leaving himself open. Personally I don't have a twitter or Facebook etc however as long as the comments don't border on abuse then I don't see the issue. At least he may see the opinion of us fans!

Can't agree with this, a personal account is a personal account and not for trolling.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's a moot point whether this is the worst result in our history; I felt a whole lot worse exiting Boghead in 1975 after watching a decent Dumbarton side take an 8-0 caning from a Dalglish-inspired Celtic than I did last night.  I get the feeling that last night will be remembered far, far more around Bonnyrigg than Dumbarton. 

And the week is yet young, another white-knuckle ride awaits at Easter Road this weekend.  And then onto who knows what further miseries.

Nothing really though that us older guys have not yet seen at various intervals, with one vital difference in my case.  Never mind away games, I'm having to drag myself to home fixtures right now such is the utter negativity of the tactics and the general feeling that a team is disintegrating before your eyes.  In the midst of it all Stevie Aitken has in managerial terms become a dead man walking. 

The embarrassment of last night might yet be nothing to the not too far-fetched prospect of Dumbarton FC being unable to put eleven players on the park for a senior football fixture in the very near future.  Is it really only two weeks since we entered a parallel universe in The Rock Bowling Club ? 

Pretty much agree, though of course we share a certain vintage. My biggest disappointments as a Sons fan were all back in the midsts of time. The Scottish cup semi final replay defeat from Hearts was probably the biggest, after a decent showing in the first game at 0-0. Had we beaten them we'd have qualified for the European Cup Winners Cup. The Spring cup semi final defeat by a Davie Cooper inspired Clydebank at Firhill was hard to take too. That 8-0 game with Celtic of course was a pisser of course - as was a 6-0 defeat at Ibrox in a league cup match.

The first half was ok last night. I noticed though that the longer the game stayed at 0-0 the more agitated we looked. Bonnyrigg looked more composed as we lost the plot.

Mind you, 8 points from our last five games. Won two, drawn two lost one...............

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

With Stevie having told the media he was considering his position I wonder if the club will release a statement confirming the outcome of any meetings or discussions they have should they collectively decide it's best he stays.

If he hadn't publicly stated that he was considering his position then fair enough but by doing that I feel a statement is required.

With Stevie having told the media he was considering his position I wonder if the club will release a statement confirming the outcome of any meetings or discussions they have should they collectively decide it's best he stays.

If he hadn't publicly stated that he was considering his position then fair enough but by doing that I feel a statement is required.

Statement now put up on website, staying.

Statement now put up on website, staying.

Sadly it's hardly a surprise.

I hadn't realised how much I wanted him to go until I read the "BREAKING" tweet and it didn't have the news that he'd left the club. Got my hopes up.

Ach well, lets see what the next 6 months bring. I will take a punt on plenty of excuses, plenty of defeats, about 11 shots on target and the word "'t'riffic" over 7251 times.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2780

Doesnt sound like him, quite formal, almost scripted.

There was a thought that we couldnt pay him off at this point. I hope Dfc are looking at options, just in case things get worse or he leaves voluntarily.

I wonder how the players feel about it, he's certainly not missed them in some recent post match interviews.

One thing is obvious; results and performances need to improve. We cannot survive relying on keeper errors, soft penalties and the results of other teams.

Sad as it may be to most/all of us realistically we always knew this was going to be the outcome. Would the penny pinching board really try to pay off a guy that has only 6months remaining on his contract. Taking the cheap easy way out as always!
On the plus side, I always enjoyed a trip to east fife and Stranraer.........

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Sad as it may be to most/all of us realistically we always knew this was going to be the outcome. Would the penny pinching board really try to pay off a guy that has only 6months remaining on his contract. Taking the cheap easy way out as always!

Your last sentence there.

You must have masochistic tendencies.

6 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Always taking the cheap option? We had to pay compensation to get Aitken, and we gave Murray a bumper deal to keep him here. We also broke the bank getting Nade in to keep us up last year. We can accuse the board of many things but I don't think taking the cheap option is one of them in regards to our staff and players. 

As we expected, Aitken will stay and I can only assume that's after frank discussions with the board today. It says fighting on in the statement and that's pretty much all I want to see - every single one of the players fighting for every ball. It was our hunger and determination that saw us through last year and we need to show that again. Too many times we've looked pedestrian this year and genuinely that's all I want to see from now on, fight and effort.

I would hope today that not only the management and board had a discussion, I would hope some of our key players were spoken with to sound out how much support Aitken has in that dressing room. We need to assume he has their backing, and so we should lend him it too.

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that Aitken will move on at the end of the season, so I hope that everyone can just support him and the team as best we can and hopefully we can part ways with us still in the Championship and him without a relegation on his CV.

Not surprised in the slightest. He's going to have to pluck some seriously succulent rabbits out of the hat in the January if he's going to achieve "everyone's full support", along with shipping out some of his signing failures. Much easier said than done. Actually, looking at that statement again, maybe I'm reading too much in to it, but it looks like the recipe is for more of the same old same old. The last sentence of his statement comes across very much as "you can like it or lump it".

The last line really irked me. Very few club's fans would have been as accepting of the results as we have been. In fact I doubt very many managers would still be in a job after a run of 3 wins in 22 (iirc) and a cup defeat to a Junior side. Albeit we are in a unique position.

January could be interesting. We need quality players, but without a budget and with few of them available (given most are under contract) I reckon it'll be a frustrating month.

At first I was angry but it's quickly turned into absolute apathy.  I don't see myself going to any more away games after Saturday for the foreseeable future.  It's a very strange and sad feeling given my love for the club and an away day out but that's what's happened.  Judging from last night the players - minus Alan Martin - don't give any sort of f**k about the club.  Just because the manager is asking for support doesn't mean it should be given - it has to be earned. Blind faith only lasts for so long and unfortunately for Aitken it seems his has run out with the vast majority of our support.

As far as Mr Wilson and the rest of the dementors on the board who "can't afford" to invest in the club go... Every Saturday the fans invest in the club be it buying a ticket, a pie, a pint, a programme, a 50/50 ticket etc.  We are the ones who "throw" (as Mr Wilson put it) money at the club year after year without any guaranteed return.  The amount of money I could have saved from not supporting Dumbarton at all this season alone is probably quite a handsome amount.  But it's all worth it for the days like Annan, Airdrie, Aberdeen - days that you can't replicate.  If they are not genuinely interested in our club for any reason other than to fill their own back pockets then they should head back to their communal etch-a-sketch and plan their next get-rich-quick scheme  - we will not be taken for a fucking ride.

Pretty much agree, though of course we share a certain vintage. My biggest disappointments as a Sons fan were all back in the midsts of time. The Scottish cup semi final replay defeat from Hearts was probably the biggest, after a decent showing in the first game at 0-0. Had we beaten them we'd have qualified for the European Cup Winners Cup. The Spring cup semi final defeat by a Davie Cooper inspired Clydebank at Firhill was hard to take too. That 8-0 game with Celtic of course was a pisser of course - as was a 6-0 defeat at Ibrox in a league cup match.

The first half was ok last night. I noticed though that the longer the game stayed at 0-0 the more agitated we looked. Bonnyrigg looked more composed as we lost the plot.

Mind you, 8 points from our last five games. Won two, drawn two lost one...............

If we are comparing dreadful results a 6-0 defeat at home to Montrose must be up there