Sons' sorrow

Why is everyone making a big deal about getting players in before presenting season starts? It makes absolutely no difference to anyone whether they sign the day before presenting season or yesterday. Any footballer  id responsible for their own fitness through the close season and it won't make a difference if they sign today or on the day we start training.

It is a bit boring waiting for signings but I'm not worried yet, because I trust the management team.

Why is everyone making a big deal about getting players in before presenting season starts? It makes absolutely no difference to anyone whether they sign the day before presenting season or yesterday. Any footballer  id responsible for their own fitness through the close season and it won't make a difference if they sign today or on the day we start training.
It is a bit boring waiting for signings but I'm not worried yet, because I trust the management team.

Depends if the deals are agreed or not I suppose. If they are agreed, signed and just not announced then it makes no difference. If we haven't announced anything because there's nothing to announce, then it could leave us in a sticky situation where quality players are hard to come by.

Who knows what the next 10 days will bring. I must admit though that I really thought we'd here some news this week, and that doesn't seem likely. There haven't even been any rumours!

I'm not concerned about the fitness of potential targets, rather the quality of them. If we hold our breath and miss out, what will be left.

10 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Depends if the deals are agreed or not I suppose. If they are agreed, signed and just not announced then it makes no difference. If we haven't announced anything because there's nothing to announce, then it could leave us in a sticky situation where quality players are hard to come by.

Who knows what the next 10 days will bring. I must admit though that I really thought we'd here some news this week, and that doesn't seem likely. There haven't even been any rumours!

Ouch?

I'd be more concerned if teams we will be competing with were significantly improving. I understand that the likes of Queens, Dunfermline and Morton are improving. But realistically we have to look at Brechin and Livingston. Both, in my opinion, haven't made any signings that worry me. Livingston may well be a better proposition than last time they were in the league, but they have basically the same squad so will still need to improve plenty. Brechin are a team who just made it through the play offs - on merit of course! But I am still quietly confident that we will be a more attractive team for players of a better standard who won't get a full time gig.

Edited by squeezeboxson

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

Ouch?

I'd be more concerned if teams we will be competing with were significantly improving. I understand that the likes of Queens, Dunfermline and Morton are improving. But realistically we have to look at Brechin and Livingston. Both, in my opinion, haven't made any signings that worries me. Livingston may well be a better proposition than last time they were in the league, but they have basically the same squad so will still need to improve plenty and Brechin are a team who just made it through the play offs - on merit of course! But I am still quietly confident that we will be a more attractive team for players of a better standard who won't get a full time gig.

:lol: Oaft. Teach me to post on here after my 10pm deadline

That's true about Brechin and Livingston, but they have both retained plenty of players from last season. That doesn't scare me in Brechin's case, but in Livingston's? Meh. They have a decent spine with players like Gallagher, Jacobs and Mullen signed up. In fact looking at their squad list, I wouldn't expect them to do much business. They need a goalkeeper, defender and maybe a couple of forwards, but that's it.

We can still build a squad better than both. By the same means however, we could still end up with one that's weaker. 

3 minutes ago, rw89 said:

I miss this forum. :(

We've been linked with Mark Docherty in one of the local papers. Amy decent? 

Aside from the headbutt incident, he was largely excellent for us. Fantastic left-foot, plays with the passion of a fan, has a strong Twitter game and has a knack of scoring directly from corners (or against Dundee United). He's at his best in the middle of the park imo (either at CB or CM), but could probably do a job at LB in League 1 - it's just his pace that lets him down. @BallochSonsFan will be able to confirm, but I believe he won more Man of the Match awards than any other player at the club last season - and took the League's Player of the Month in the winter.

He's a great guy, who always had time for the fans too, so I'd be delighted if he got a decent move to a club like yourselves. 

51 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

WE HAVE FRIENDLIES

Albion Rovers (A) - 08/07/2017 - 2pm (Alan Reid's testimonial)

Clydebank (H) - 15/07/2017

Also, Jaz is the new goalkeeper coach. 

That's settled me down a bit :)

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3059

"Meanwhile the manager continues to work at adding to the playing squad with the opening of the summer transfer window tomorrow (9th June) approaching"

i.e. PITK

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

I miss this forum. :(

We've been linked with Mark Docherty in one of the local papers. Amy decent? 

If he hadn't nutted Carswell at East end he'd probably have won player of the year and he'd probably still be with us. Seemed to put on some weight towards the end of the season but I love the guy and I expect he'd be excellent in League 1.

I'm not concerned about the fitness of potential targets, rather the quality of them. If we hold our breath and miss out, what will be left.

I understand the concern about possible quality or lack thereof, but is this much different to the situation we're in every close-season?

In the respect that players will always hold out for a better deal than us rather than signing right away.

I'd love us to be signing up quality signing after quality signing, but at the end of the day, most of the players we'll be going for will have at least a half decent chance of getting full-time football so I can't imagine they'd jump at an offer we made them early doors.

Had a little nosey on the PFA players available website and in the list, ex-Sons included Scott Smith, James Creaney, Chris Turner and John Gemmell.

I also noted Ryan Donnelly, he of ex-Airdrie fame. Would he be worth a shot? Stevie could maybe be the one to reignite his career?

I know, I know, I'm bored too and just hanging around for some, any kind of signing news.[emoji30]

I'd love us to be signing up quality signing after quality signing, but at the end of the day, most of the players we'll be going for will have at least a half decent chance of getting full-time football so I can't imagine they'd jump at an offer we made them early doors.

You think?