Sons' sorrow

10 minutes ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Could be rubbish, but it'll amuse SO08 for a bit, but I've heard Peter MacDonald is signing for you guys. He's left Clyde. 

I absolutely loved Peaso in his prime. Genuinely one of my favourite players in the league a few seasons ago when he was at you lot and Dundee.

The operative words there are 'a few seasons ago'. He'll be 37 this year, and has had more than his fair share of serious injuries. I could understand it if it was in a role similar to Barr's at Cappielow, but, with our youth system no longer existing, it won't be.

I'd never say it won't happen, but I'd be beyond surprised if it did. Would be pretty concerned too in all honesty.

Peaso is done at this level unfortunately. A terrific finisher on his day but sadly a couple of serious injuries did him no good during his time with us. Strange that either side of his second spell with us he avoided a bad injury though. 

It's only the one signing but I'm pretty pleased with it.

A big, commanding, experienced centre-half is a good start.

And he seems to be rated by Queen's fans which is good, so hopefully he can do a good job for us.

Our loss is your gain. Personally I would have retained him - he didn't have his best season and while he has slowed down a bit his positives far outweigh any negatives.

Gary Naysmith has chosen to free Chris Higgins and Andy Dowie at same time. Madness if you ask me. If you had been a bit quicker you could have had Higgy as well before Ayr got him.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were seeing real quality coming in at the back for us but sadly no sign of a cunning masterplan as yet. Still time but I have my doubts.

Our loss is your gain. Personally I would have retained him - he didn't have his best season and while he has slowed down a bit his positives far outweigh any negatives.

Gary Naysmith has chosen to free Chris Higgins and Andy Dowie at same time. Madness if you ask me. If you had been a bit quicker you could have had Higgy as well before Ayr got him.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were seeing real quality coming in at the back for us but sadly no sign of a cunning masterplan as yet. Still time but I have my doubts.

If u knew us and read about us on here you would see that we never do anything quickly, I don't think we know the meaning of the word. I think tbh it's just us reaffirming our nice guy tag by letting all the teams around us sign players 1st!

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

We apparently did offer Higgins a deal but he chose Ayr.

Quick question on Robert Thomson.

I know he predominantly played out left for you boys, was that in a 4231 or a 442?

If it was normally a 4231, do you think he could play left Mid in a 442 which is Duffy's preferred formation?

Curious to know where Duffy will play him this season. With Oliver, McHugh and Quitongo, he might find himself playing left mid. I actually think we have the players to be play a 4231, but i doubt Duffy will.

Quick question on Robert Thomson.
I know he predominantly played out left for you boys, was that in a 4231 or a 442?
If it was normally a 4231, do you think he could play left Mid in a 442 which is Duffy's preferred formation?
Curious to know where Duffy will play him this season. With Oliver, McHugh and Quitongo, he might find himself playing left mid. I actually think we have the players to be play a 4231, but i doubt Duffy will.

Mainly in a 4231 but because we were so defensive he had to do just as much tracking back as a wide man in a 442 and was pretty good at it so it shouldn't be an issue if he plays there. He will deliver 6/10 performances most weeks but will win you headers from goal kicks and score a decent amount of goals.

Mainly in a 4231 but because we were so defensive he had to do just as much tracking back as a wide man in a 442 and was pretty good at it so it shouldn't be an issue if he plays there. He will deliver 6/10 performances most weeks but will win you headers from goal kicks and score a decent amount of goals.

To be fair, after Christmas we weren't defensive and that's when he really flourished.