Sons' sorrow

I wasn't there yesterday but it sounds like that could've been a blessing.

On the pitch, Stevie and Ian need to learn, and learn quickly, that if we continue to set up so defensively and isolating our lone front man, we'll scrape a point here and there but any half decent team, of which there are several in this division, will pick us off at will.

The concerning thing for me is that this is just pre-Bonnyrigg all over again. He seemed from the outside, to have learned from that and from then on, when we attacked teams, we got rewards and more importantly results. Berba was sensational at times, Andy Stirling unplayable on occasion and Nade a real handful chipping in with goals too.

But just now we just seem to have reverted to 'type' and it's clear it isn't working. If we go down I want it to be with a fight, having taken a scalp or two, a skelping along the way as well no doubt, winning games, and taking a chance and attacking the opposition. At this stage if we go down, saying it would be with a whimper would be being kind.

Off the park... where to start? That loyal fans are being turned off because of off-field decisions is really sad and angering. We seem to be bumbling from one embarrassing situation to another at the moment (and that's not even taking into account the ludicrous claim of being 'unlawfully' held by stewards which most can see is a preposterous suggestion).

The admissions gate. The season ticket price hike. The mumbles of reduced budgets despite the hikes. The hawf open windae for tickets. The awfully defensive product on the park from the off.

It's sad that it does seem (as someone has already said) that the fan/club relationship is at an all-time low, but who at the club (aside from the Trust, who as someone else has already said, do a magnificent job in a variety of things) actually cares?

Does Les? Does anyone at the club read what's on here?

We're a small fish in a big pond and always will be. We might be a 'diddy' club, that doesn't bother me. But let's be a well-run diddy club. Because we'll be back at Annan and Montrose sooner rather than later, so if we can't be well-run while we're at the top end of the game, how can we hope to be when near the doldrums again?

You say the Trust does a magnificent job and cares ? My experience of that set up is the opposite. Having tried to get answers from them in private and heard nothing back from them, I'll discuss it here.
When the Trust were quite forceful in their campaign to recruit new members on this thread, I responded by joining and making a donation on top of that. Lots of promises followed by messages on P&B and text, to send out a membership pack and card. Neither came. More assurances followed. Three months later, a letter from them arrived asking me to renew my subscription. I made contact again expressing my anger that my subscription and donation was accepted but I got nothing in return in the form of pack and card. I didn't pay them again and despite me making contact with them for an explanation, they have maintained radio silence.
In my opinion, I have been treated equally as shabbily by the Trust as I have been by the club in the past.

1 hour ago, Jumbo Muir said:

You say the Trust does a magnificent job and cares ? My experience of that set up is the opposite. Having tried to get answers from them in private and heard nothing back from them, I'll discuss it here.
When the Trust were quite forceful in their campaign to recruit new members on this thread, I responded by joining and making a donation on top of that. Lots of promises followed by messages on P&B and text, to send out a membership pack and card. Neither came. More assurances followed. Three months later, a letter from them arrived asking me to renew my subscription. I made contact again expressing my anger that my subscription and donation was accepted but I got nothing in return in the form of pack and card. I didn't pay them again and despite me making contact with them for an explanation, they have maintained radio silence.
In my opinion, I have been treated equally as shabbily by the Trust as I have been by the club in the past.

Sorry to hear that Jumbo.Simon Barrow is on here as The Far Post i believe.Perhaps he can pm you to clear up what might have happened.However you raise IMO a really valid point.If the club act with aloofness then the  Trust has to be the opposite.The Trust has to create a community feel to bring as many fans together as we do not know what the future holds with Brabco and the whole YF's  project.

Regards car parking I gave up a couple of seasons ago and now park up the road amongst the new housing block As regards the numpty steward who go out on to castle road to direct traffic on the main road this is totally illegal not to mention highly dangerous to the stewards involved. If the police do not want to do it they should enforce the law by forbidding sstewards from doing if.As for locking fire doors anyone witnessing this should report it to police or council in which case the clubs safety certificate can be revoked and the club shut down.

Sorry to hear that Jumbo.Simon Barrow is on here as The Far Post i believe.Perhaps he can pm you to clear up what might have happened.However you raise IMO a really valid point.If the club act with aloofness then the  Trust has to be the opposite.The Trust has to create a community feel to bring as many fans together as we do not know what the future holds with Brabco and the whole YF's  project.

Lorenzo, Mr Barrow was the one I had dealings with and has maintained radio silence. It appears to me that once they had my membership and my donation, they were done with me. As I said in one message to Mr Barrow, I feel I was duped out of parting with my cash. He chose not to reply. Make of that what you will.

2 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Lorenzo, Mr Barrow was the one I had dealings with and has maintained radio silence. It appears to me that once they had my membership and my donation, they were done with me. As I said in one message to Mr Barrow, I feel I was duped out of parting with my cash. He chose not to reply. Make of that what you will.

Wow i do hope it gets cleared up as that is obviously very bad press for the Trust, at a time that is crucial for the club.

Have you tried secy @ sonstrust.net Jumbo? (remove the spaces before and after the at sign)

Might be better to try the trust membership secretary to sort out your membership. Your mails to Simon may have become caught up with any number of trust/SFSA/work stuff that Simon as going on.

Unfortunately these things can happen. Ideally it's avoidable but certainly something the trust should be able to put right.

Alternatively, come over to the trust table in the supporters lounge next time you're at the stadium and I'm sure its something that could be sorted out.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Regards car parking I gave up a couple of seasons ago and now park up the road amongst the new housing block As regards the numpty steward who go out on to castle road to direct traffic on the main road this is totally illegal not to mention highly dangerous to the stewards involved. If the police do not want to do it they should enforce the law by forbidding sstewards from doing if.As for locking fire doors anyone witnessing this should report it to police or council in which case the clubs safety certificate can be revoked and the club shut down.

Great piece of lateral thinking there. Let's get the club shut down to save us from any further pain this season! [emoji108]

2 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

IMG_0646.JPG.047f66dc484b2873b28703ba6795e5d0.JPG

7 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I wasn't there yesterday but it sounds like that could've been a blessing.

On the pitch, Stevie and Ian need to learn, and learn quickly, that if we continue to set up so defensively and isolating our lone front man, we'll scrape a point here and there but any half decent team, of which there are several in this division, will pick us off at will.

The concerning thing for me is that this is just pre-Bonnyrigg all over again. He seemed from the outside, to have learned from that and from then on, when we attacked teams, we got rewards and more importantly results. Berba was sensational at times, Andy Stirling unplayable on occasion and Nade a real handful chipping in with goals too.

But just now we just seem to have reverted to 'type' and it's clear it isn't working. If we go down I want it to be with a fight, having taken a scalp or two, a skelping along the way as well no doubt, winning games, and taking a chance and attacking the opposition. At this stage if we go down, saying it would be with a whimper would be being kind.

Off the park... where to start? That loyal fans are being turned off because of off-field decisions is really sad and angering. We seem to be bumbling from one embarrassing situation to another at the moment (and that's not even taking into account the ludicrous claim of being 'unlawfully' held by stewards which most can see is a preposterous suggestion).

The admissions gate. The season ticket price hike. The mumbles of reduced budgets despite the hikes. The hawf open windae for tickets. The awfully defensive product on the park from the off.

It's sad that it does seem (as someone has already said) that the fan/club relationship is at an all-time low, but who at the club (aside from the Trust, who as someone else has already said, do a magnificent job in a variety of things) actually cares?

Does Les? Does anyone at the club read what's on here?

We're a small fish in a big pond and always will be. We might be a 'diddy' club, that doesn't bother me. But let's be a well-run diddy club. Because we'll be back at Annan and Montrose sooner rather than later, so if we can't be well-run while we're at the top end of the game, how can we hope to be when near the doldrums again?

You make a few good points. But we didn't set up particularly defensively yesterday. I would imagine most fans would have been quite happy with the starting lineup and few would have made more than 1 or 2 changes, given the option.

Nade wasn't all that isolated either. In my opinion he has just been so far off the pace this season. I worry he isn't even going to get started and as our only main option (at the moment) I am concerned. We could really do with a fast, tallish striker who can play the Nade role or play off of him with pace. I'm not sure we will find that player but we should hopefully be able to bring in one more player.

I agree that the price increases are frustrating but it is something that not only our club are doing. If we wish to compete at this level we need to do everything we can to match other teams budgets. For what it's worth, I don't particularly think we have got this completely right.

As far as the car park thing goes, we are now doing what most other clubs do in the league (possibly even up and down the country/leagues depending on crowd sizes). Having such an issue with it is just pedantic. If it is such a problem park somewhere in the surrounding areas and save yourself £1. The guy on Facebook is just being ludicrous phoning police and the likes...

Edited by squeezeboxson

Loads of comments made between this and the match thread. Can't disagree with many.

To keep it simple, I'm bored as f**k watching us just now. I can understand we need to be relatively stuffy and be hard to beat but it's costing folk a lot of money to just sit and be frustrated out their tits.

Bad stuff after only 4 games in but I think most of us remember the first half of last season..

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

You make a few good points. But we didn't set up particularly defensively yesterday. I would imagine most fans would have been quite happy with the starting lineup and few would have made more than 1 or 2 changes, given the option.

Nade wasn't all that isolated either. In my opinion he has just been so far off the pace this season. I worry he isn't even going to get started and as our only main option (at the moment) I am concerned. We could really do with a fast, tallish striker who can play the Nade role or play off of him with pace. I'm not sure we will find that player but we should hopefully be able to bring in one more player.

I agree that the price increases are frustrating but it is something that not only our club are doing. If we wish to compete at this level we need to do everything we can to match other teams budgets. For what it's worth, I don't particularly think we have got this completely right.

As far as the car park thing goes, we are now doing what most other clubs do in the league (possibly even up and down the country/leagues depending on crowd sizes). Having such an issue with it is just pedantic. If it is such a problem park somewhere in the surrounding areas and save yourself £1. The guy on Facebook is just being ludicrous phoning police and the likes...

I'm surprised he didn't dial 999, rather than 101. I wonder who I should sue for effectively being unlawfully detained for 100 minutes between the ground and the Dunglass roundabout, after the game yesterday?

You make a few good points. But we didn't set up particularly defensively yesterday. I would imagine most fans would have been quite happy with the starting lineup and few would have made more than 1 or 2 changes...

A back four, 2 defensive midfielders and a goalie makes 7 defensive players. More than defensive enough for me.

That said, I dont think there was anyone on the bench I'd have started.

A back four, 2 defensive midfielders and a goalie makes 7 defensive players. More than defensive enough for me.

Is that a serious post? Liverpool set up that way and won 4-0.

We also set up that way (depending on whether you define Rankin as defensive) and were 4-0 up after 50 mins at Falkirk.

Yup, most teams on the planet seem to. I understand Liverpools 4-2-3-1 will differ from Dumbartons, but vague statements are always asking for a smart arse to intervene.