Sons' sorrow

To be fair most fans of most clubs, including us, think the challenge cup is a waste of time and effort. Until we get to the final like us this season, which to me and most of us im sure, is the best competition in the world bar none!
We treat the 1st round as a pre season friendly extravaganza every season. This year we got lucky and drew rangers boys club in the 1st round which kicked off our cup run, if we had drawn our usual stranraer etc at that point I'm sure we would've been out at the 1st hurdle as per previous years.
Let's just enjoy it for what it is. Others may call it a diddy cup (and we likely will too next year) but to us it's a cup final which for many of us will be our 1st and probably last we will see with Dumbarton in it. I for one cannot wait.

On 02/03/2018 at 12:00, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Anyway, whilst we're all stuck in the polar opposite of Dante's Inferno, here's a wee pic from the 1970'S to warm the cockles (whatever they are) of your heart.....

Dalglish Boghead.jpg

Great to see a picture of the greatest player who ever lived. Think that might be Kenny Dalgleish in the picture as well

Great to see a picture of the greatest player who ever lived. Think that might be Kenny Dalgleish in the picture as well
Now, here's a thing. The famous DFC Social Club can be seen in partial glory in this picture, but can anyone tell us what was its use before Robert Robertson brought it west (clue) to Boghead ?

21 hours ago, sarti pooh said:

Before you changed your tune you rattled off two semi finals at hampden are more an achievement than the challenge cup final.

Bit before my time and considering it's our first final in 121 years I'm assuming we got pumped out in those semi finals.

So aye you're celebrating failure.

Are you going to the final out of curiosity?

Also before my time, but the Festival of Britain (St Mungo) Quaich was in 1951. It was a national cup competition* and we won it. That's only 67 years ago. Six years before that we lost to Airdrieonians in final of the Suppementary Cup, also a national competition for lower league sides; 72 years ago.

But yes, the Scottish Cup final in 1897 was our last major final.

Very few of our active fans, perhaps none, will remember any of those. I don't: I wasn't even alive for the most recent. This year's final is definitely a big deal.

*More or less equivalent to the Challenge Cup now in that the top tier sides weren't in it.

39 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Now, here's a thing. The famous DFC Social Club can be seen in partial glory in this picture, but can anyone tell us what was its use before Robert Robertson brought it west (clue) to Boghead ?

I think I've read about this somewhere.

Was it used by workers who were building a bridge (or similar)?

Could be way off.

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
8 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Talking about Robertson many remember that he tried to attract Johann Cruyff to Boghead but he also tried to get Denis Law to sign on. The reason Cruyff never came was simply that he knew he could never compare to the immortal Johnny Graham. As for the portacabin  it probably came off the back of a lorry.

Used by workers building the Forth Road Bridge?
9/10......it was a worker's canteen used by the bridge builders, and if memory serves me well it was actually created from reconditioned railway carriages, making it possibly the least-appointed social club anywhere.
When you consider that the roof of the 'Turnberry' end was filched from the eponymous railway station, and for years crowds stood on former railway sleepers, Boghead was practically a salvage yard with a football pitch.

19 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

ICT game rearranged for April 17th.

Means we now have midweek games on 5 of the final 8 weeks of the season:

13/3 (Brechin H)
27/3 (St Mirren A)
3/4 (Dundee United A)
10/4 (Morton A)
17/4 (ICT H)

5 of the final 7 midweeks surely?

You have free midweeks on March 20th and April 24th. We have a game against United on March 20th so if our game at the Rock is off on Saturday the only remaining midweek to drop that into is April 24th.

If you have any more games off after that and can't drop them into 20th March you'll be playing a Monday / Wednesday midweek double header at some point.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

5 of the final 7 midweeks surely?

You have free midweeks on March 20th and April 24th. We have a game against United on March 20th so if our game at the Rock is off on Saturday the only remaining midweek to drop that into is April 24th.

If you have any more games off after that and can't drop them into 20th March you'll be playing a Monday / Wednesday midweek double header at some point.

I was counting this as a midweek which, I think, makes it eight. Maths has never been a strong point though.

Given the pictures of the pitch in the other thread I wouldn't be shocked to see the dreaded two games a week outcome happen.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I was counting this as a midweek which, I think, makes it eight. Maths has never been a strong point though.

Given the pictures of the pitch in the other thread I wouldn't be shocked to see the dreaded two games a week outcome happen.

Well yes but the point is you dont have a midweek game this week so it will then be five of the last 7 as it stands and 6 of the last 7 if our game is off Saturday.

For those that reminisce about how brilliant Boghead was (me included), this is the public face our ground presented to away fans who got off at Dumbarton East and entered the ground via the Silverton End gate.
image.png.0229cb4b17fea12d78a44818b165da61.png

I mean Boghead was decent in terms of being an old ground with terracing and plenty of memories but it was a crumbling hell hole that was no longer fit for use.