Sons' sorrow

Right, going to give my Keep, release and undecided lists

Keep:-

Scott Gallagher - He’s technically a decent keeper and as the season has gone on he has improved. I do however think he’s mentally weak especially confidence wise and doesn’t like coming off his line. Could do much worse though. Apparently he signed a 2 year deal last summer anyway.

Andy Dowie - After a shaky start he has been Mr Consistent. Solid and a good leader.

Craig Barr - Excellent Defender, could get a better club but he’s signed for next season. After 2 successive relegations I think he’ll fancy a promotion push.

Chris Mclaughlin - We’ve missed him badly. His crosses and overlapping runs are very important to the way we play.

Stuart Carswell - solid CDM who should be one of the best in league one as long as he’s not played next to Kyle Hutton.

David Wilson - Think he’s got some potential. He offers creativity in midfield and can pick out a pass. Maybe still need to bulk up a bit though.

Danny Handling - I’m willing to give him a chance. He’s certainly improved recently and does seem like an intelligent player.

Calum Gallagher (only if played as a striker) - He’s got great work rate, decent movement and while he’s bad at pretty much everything a striker should be good at, I think he’s quite effective there.

Release:-

Jamie Ewings - would happily keep him as goalkeeping coach but not really in good enough shape to play now.

Kyle Hutton - There is no way this will happen but I don’t think him and Carswell should be in the same team.

Tom Walsh - Already signed PCA with Inverness.

Chris Johnston - Not good enough

Mark Stewart - I know he’s got a year left on his contract but I can’t see him getting back to being a regular starter again.

Undecided:-

David Smith - Could do better, could do worse. Would be relatively expensive for back up. Strangely considering he was converted from a winger, I’m more concerned about his play going forward than his defensive ability.

Dougie Hill - Edging towards keep however it would be good to have 1 Centre Back in the squad with a bit of pace.

Liam Dick - Nearly a certain Keep for League one as he can play Left or Right Back when needed. Still not great going forward which is why I’m undecided.

Froxy - He’s away. Will buy every sons fan on P&B a Pint if he’s playing for us next season.

Christian Nade - I think he’s done and I think he’ll retire.

Kyle Prior - Admit it! You forgot he existed. So did I.

Loans:-

Andy Stirling - Would definitely keep but can see him at Ayr or Alloa tbh.

Liam Burt - Would Keep but I get the feeling Aitken doesn’t like how lightweight he is.

Sam Wardrop - Absolute no brainier if we get the chance to sign him we should. Can’t see it though

Aidan Wilson - No way would I keep. Bombscare doesn’t do him justice.

Kevin Nisbet - He’s probably better suited to league 2.

7 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Where’s an Arabian sheikh or a Nigerian prince when you need one

Funnily enough and others on here will correct me if I’m wrong but many years ago there was interest from a Dubai based business man, who supposedly was born in Dumbarton and went over there and made his millions and was looking at buying the club but there were issues with the golden share and it fell flat.

Just now, Poet of the Macabre said:

Someone mentioned on the Raith thread that he's signed for East Kilbride but no idea how accurate that info is.

They must be splashing the cash if that's the case. He'll stroll the Lowland League.

2 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

Funnily enough and others on here will correct me if I’m wrong but many years ago there was interest from a Dubai based business man, who supposedly was born in Dumbarton and went over there and made his millions and was looking at buying the club but there were issues with the golden share and it fell flat.

Sheikh-ma-Shammie, local window cleaning tycoon who done good

11 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

I remember murmurings of this when we were relegated to the Third Division under Paul Martin. He apparently wanted Walter Smith in as manager.

Not sure where the story came from. Probably nonsense.

edited to add: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dumbarton/4788262.stm

Edited by FifeSons

Right, going to give my Keep, release and undecided lists

Keep:-
Scott Gallagher - He’s technically a decent keeper and as the season has gone on he has improved. I do however think he’s mentally weak especially confidence wise and doesn’t like coming off his line. Could do much worse though. Apparently he signed a 2 year deal last summer anyway.

Andy Dowie - After a shaky start he has been Mr Consistent. Solid and a good leader.

Craig Barr - Excellent Defender, could get a better club but he’s signed for next season. After 2 successive relegations I think he’ll fancy a promotion push.

Chris Mclaughlin - We’ve missed him badly. His crosses and overlapping runs are very important to the way we play.

Stuart Carswell - solid CDM who should be one of the best in league one as long as he’s not played next to Kyle Hutton.

David Wilson - Think he’s got some potential. He offers creativity in midfield and can pick out a pass. Maybe still need to bulk up a bit though.

Danny Handling - I’m willing to give him a chance. He’s certainly improved recently and does seem like an intelligent player.

Calum Gallagher (only if played as a striker) - He’s got great work rate, decent movement and while he’s bad at pretty much everything a striker should be good at, I think he’s quite effective there.

Release:-

Jamie Ewings - would happily keep him as goalkeeping coach but not really in good enough shape to play now.

Kyle Hutton - There is no way this will happen but I don’t think him and Carswell should be in the same team.

Tom Walsh - Already signed PCA with Inverness.

Chris Johnston - Not good enough

Mark Stewart - I know he’s got a year left on his contract but I can’t see him getting back to being a regular starter again.

Undecided:-

David Smith - Could do better, could do worse. Would be relatively expensive for back up. Strangely considering he was converted from a winger, I’m more concerned about his play going forward than his defensive ability.

Dougie Hill - Edging towards keep however it would be good to have 1 Centre Back in the squad with a bit of pace.

Liam Dick - Nearly a certain Keep for League one as he can play Left or Right Back when needed. Still not great going forward which is why I’m undecided.

Froxy - He’s away. Will buy every sons fan on P&B a Pint if he’s playing for us next season.

Christian Nade - I think he’s done and I think he’ll retire.

Kyle Prior - Admit it! You forgot he existed. So did I.

Loans:-

Andy Stirling - Would definitely keep but can see him at Ayr or Alloa tbh.

Liam Burt - Would Keep but I get the feeling Aitken doesn’t like how lightweight he is.

Sam Wardrop - Absolute no brainier if we get the chance to sign him we should. Can’t see it though

Aidan Wilson - No way would I keep. Bombscare doesn’t do him justice.

Kevin Nisbet - He’s probably better suited to league 2.

You forgot grant Gallagher or do you take his continued association with Stevie as a given.

Surely Duffy would hold out for a full-time gig.

He was part- time with Brechin wasn’t he? Morton is at the bottom end of the list of clubs who can offer full-time. Looking at the league, I can’t see any full-time club looking at Jim at the moment.
He is one of the best TV and radio pundits and might fancy that with part-time. Anyway I agree he’d be a good shout, however one caveat is that he has been fulsome in his praise of Stevie. Even in Sunday’s match comments.

Firstly I understand our financial state and the difficulties that lie ahead but

am I the only one who doesn’t see a bargain in the season ticket on offer. It was reasonably attractive had we stayed up but I don’t believe so any more.

add to that the walk up price of 16 looks the highest in league 1.

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

'Aitken's Army' blaming Durrant for the tactics 

20170303_070830.png

:lol: Deary me

2 minutes ago, cedrick1 said:

Firstly I understand our financial state and the difficulties that lie ahead but

am I the only one who doesn’t see a bargain in the season ticket on offer. It was reasonably attractive had we stayed up but I don’t believe so any more.

add to that the walk up price of 16 looks the highest in league 1.

For me, the Season Ticket represents two things. Firstly I'm a DFC fan not a SPFL Championship fan, so the division makes little difference, I'll be buying one anyway and it'll cost £20 less than last year. The club also took the decision to cut prices without knowing what league we were in, and I think they deserve rewarded for that. It's not their fault that the players and management couldn't do their side of the bargain.

I've had a quick look at Raith and Alloa's prices. Raith were £15/£10 and £8 with a £20 Parent + Child last season, and Alloa were £4, £8 and £16, with only OAPs counting as concessions. So price wise we're probably on the higher side of average - which is pretty much always the case with newly relegated side.

A decade ago it was £6/£12 to get into the Third Division. A price rise of £4 for adults is very reasonable considering where we are now, and where we've been.