Sons' sorrow

Paddy Flannery is an interesting name to throw into the mix, although I know little about his managerial record or achievements.  There's a hint of Chris Sutton about him, a big gangly former striker seemingly very fond of his own opinions; that doesn't make him a bad candidate but it does pique the interest of those of us here who remember him as a very enigmatic player; on his day a top-quality goalscorer but when in a mood as temperamental as Victoria Beckham at the wrong time of the month.

He does however seem to retain a genuine interest in and affection for DFC, and if that can translate into an application and interview then who knows ?  Paddy certainly would bring a presence, of that there would be no doubt, and maybe coupled with an experience safe pair of hands as assistant it's not the worst shout.  I reckon he could fire up the support too, in a good way hopefully.

I'd have no problem, in principal, with someone inexperienced in management at this level, like a Flannery. It has worked for us before. Admittedly, the chances of it working again are up for debate, though.

However, I would definitely lean towards a safe pair of hands (i.e. Duffy) to make sure we steer well clear of relegation.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

15 hours ago, Stevie Aitken said:

How many of the current directors were there when Ian Murray was in charge? I imagine they'd have reservations about him given the manner in which he left. Personally, doesn't bother me one bit. I'd have him back all day long.

I believe 2, Alan Findlay and Colin Hosie.  I'm not convinced Murray would want to come back or that the board would want him but I suppose stranger things have happened. FWIW his Asker FC side sit 4th in their division, 6 points off top spot. I have no idea how Asker were expected to do so it's hard to tell what kind of job him and Kevin Nicol are doing.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'll be honest I'm finding the Aitken out mob just as annoying as the blind loyalty mob but that real supporter stuff seriously grinds my gears. Particularly when they are choosing to watch games involving ex players rather than their own team.

I'm glad that the majority of the folk on here (apart from Moonster) are normal.

Myself and Rangeman are the only two sane folk on here. The rest of you are a blotch on the clubs reputation.

On the subject of Paddy Flannery, I don't doubt his CV will be in already and I love the guy as much as the next Sons fan, but I'm not convinced he's the gaffer we need right now.  He's very young still in managerial terms and doesn't have a lot of experience (other than managing the massive ego's of myself and BBPF during the Play for the Sons games), I'd like to see him get a gig in the Lowland League/League 2 before we take a punt on him.

As for Aitken, I am actually disappointed that it's come to this because I don't think he's a bad guy and I don't think he's trying to be the tactically negative manager that some think. Ideally everything went well and Stevie eventually got his move to full-time, but sadly it's not been the case. It was the right time to move on and I think the club statement echo's just about every sentiment I have. Some of the celebratory "Aitkunt" type stuff is a bit distasteful IMO - I genuinely believe he was trying his best and I don't think he was some evil b*****d hell bent on relegating the club, he goes with our best wishes and both parties can now look to rebuild.

Myself and Rangeman are the only two sane folk on here. The rest of you are a blotch on the clubs reputation.
On the subject of Paddy Flannery, I don't doubt his CV will be in already and I love the guy as much as the next Sons fan, but I'm not convinced he's the gaffer we need right now.  He's very young still in managerial terms and doesn't have a lot of experience (other than managing the massive ego's of myself and BBPF during the Play for the Sons games), I'd like to see him get a gig in the Lowland League/League 2 before we take a punt on him.
As for Aitken, I am actually disappointed that it's come to this because I don't think he's a bad guy and I don't think he's trying to be the tactically negative manager that some think. Ideally everything went well and Stevie eventually got his move to full-time, but sadly it's not been the case. It was the right time to move on and I think the club statement echo's just about every sentiment I have. Some of the celebratory "Aitkunt" type stuff is a bit distasteful IMO - I genuinely believe he was trying his best and I don't think he was some evil b*****d hell bent on relegating the club, he goes with our best wishes and both parties can now look to rebuild.

In relation to your last part there, I totally agree. I don't know of anyone who believes he had any other motive than to improve the team and its fortunes.

It's never nice when someone loses their job, but his position had become untenable and there was clearly an issue within the dressing room with belief and the players playing for the manager. A parting of the ways was what was required for all involved.

46 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Agreed. There are no guarantees in football, but I think we need experience and a proven record right now (not easy to come by, I know).

Edited by Stevie Aitken

So it has happened and im guessing that all of youbwill be happy about it. Maybe Stevies time was up based on poor results but he treated disgusting in recent weeks. Booing and shouting as he left the park is not on should be there to support him. Stevie will always be a club legend but the new manager will get my support the same way he did. Lets hope he gets treated better than stevie ever did!! 

9 minutes ago, sonsrealfan said:

So it has happened and im guessing that all of youbwill be happy about it. Maybe Stevies time was up based on poor results but he treated disgusting in recent weeks. Booing and shouting as he left the park is not on should be there to support him. Stevie will always be a club legend but the new manager will get my support the same way he did. Lets hope he gets treated better than stevie ever did!! 

Sorry, but that's frankly untrue. There was no one left at the end of the Raith game to boo him off. I went up to him at the end and very calmly and politely (without shouting or swearing) asked him to offer his resignation. I didn't see or hear anyone else around me shouting anything remotely negative at him. Aitken has been treated extremely fairly by the club and support. Stop writing fake news.

Spoiler

I don't even care if you're a troll. Nonsense talk like that about our support really pisses me off.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

9 minutes ago, sonsrealfan said:

That happens at every club sooner or later.  Wenger,  Mourinho,  & Moyes, are examples of experienced managers at top clubs  who have felt the wrath of unhappy fans.  Even the managers of Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayern are taking stick at present and each of them has only been in the job ten minutes.

We don't expect European success but we do expect decent results at our humble level.  Aitken gave us that for a good while but like the much-heralded "Mourinho third season" things were going wrong. Why? I don't know. Perhaps he had become too set in his ways like a late Arsenal-era Wenger, but there had to be change.  Sadly, apart from a few blinkered fans,  everyone could see it but Stevie Aitken.

Makes a change from the old "Sack the board" days.

47 minutes ago, sonsrealfan said:

giphy(2).gif

56 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken said:

Agreed. There are no guarantees in football, but I think we need experience and a proven record right now (not easy to come by, I know).

I think with young managers starting out it's always a bigger risk than someone who does a decent enough job at these levels, the challenge for the board now is weighing the risk of someone like Barry Robson (just an example, I'm not sure our geographical location would suit him) against someone like Barry Smith, who despite the Raith fans hatred for him has still done a decent enough job at other clubs. I think fans would prefer the unknown in a scenario like that, but I'm confident this board will carry out a proper hiring process and we'll get the best available guy within our budget. That's all we can really ask.

1 hour ago, sonsrealfan said:

Am I happy that my club acted upon a horrific 16 months and sacked the manager in enough time to save the season?

Course I am.  

I think with young managers starting out it's always a bigger risk than someone who does a decent enough job at these levels, the challenge for the board now is weighing the risk of someone like Barry Robson (just an example, I'm not sure our geographical location would suit him) against someone like Barry Smith, who despite the Raith fans hatred for him has still done a decent enough job at other clubs. I think fans would prefer the unknown in a scenario like that, but I'm confident this board will carry out a proper hiring process and we'll get the best available guy within our budget. That's all we can really ask.
Barry Smith is a guy I've been thinking about since Aitken was bagged actually.

I really don't fancy him at all, and I'm slightly concerned the board may view him favourably due to his close run title challenge last season. I don't remember him ever really doing that great anywhere else, bar a decent spell at Dundee. Was his Alloa team not fairly guff (24% win rate there)? His record at East Fife was average to shite and I remember being surprised he ended up getting the Raith gig.

I reckon I'd be fairly happy with Duffy or Robson, but I'm looking forward to seeing who else applies.

16 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

image.png.a2e9e16e8779360883531196ad2c5492.png

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, so the name I was given earlier was Jim Jeffries. The update I just got there was a bit different from the update I got earlier that suggested it was very likely to happen.

He's apparently good friends with a board member (nae idea who) and was interested in a short term deal to steady the ship. I am now being told though he's very comfortable in his job at Edinburgh City and the club are keen to see the calibre of applicants before deciding.

Sounds like he's in the running but perhaps not the "leading contender", as was suggested earlier.

Really, really don't know how I feel about him. Perhaps not fully against, but not exactly delighted to hear his name mentioned.

image.png.69840266c7f03f137d4e260c58349b69.png

It was only meant as a bit of levity...

image.png