Sons' sorrow

Mcbookie not pricing up at the moment for some reason. 
I'm guessing our lack of announcement regarding Durrant's situation will be playing a part in that. I've seen them saying in the past they haven't offered odds on certain management positions because they were waiting to see what happened with the assistant/caretaker.

On that note, I can only assume Durrant has decided to stay on until a new guy is appointed?

55 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm guessing our lack of announcement regarding Durrant's situation will be playing a part in that. I've seen them saying in the past they haven't offered odds on certain management positions because they were waiting to see what happened with the assistant/caretaker.

On that note, I can only assume Durrant has decided to stay on until a new guy is appointed?

I'd assume the latter is true. Hagi has gone from the website, so only Durrant and Jaz are left on the coaching side - though I'd imagine Jamie will stick around.

Edited by Ross Forbes

Has it been officially stated that Durrant will be in charge until a new man is appointed? Not sure if he'd want to hang around if he isn't given certain assurances. I think if he was THE MAN he'd have been appointed by now, otherwise why ask for applications?

Has it been officially stated that Durrant will be in charge until a new man is appointed? Not sure if he'd want to hang around if he isn't given certain assurances. I think if he was THE MAN he'd have been appointed by now, otherwise why ask for applications?

If interested, he’ll hang around in the hope of getting the gig. The job ad does state interim/permanent. If he is in place then it means he’ll take the team for the Arbroath game in which case he’ll be the de facto interim boss. He did that at Rangers. It could be that he’s been asked to stay meantime and to submit an application. If that were the case I’d expect the players to do the usual thing that players tend to do and make pleas in the media (social and otherwise) for the incumbent to get the job.

10 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

If interested, he’ll hang around in the hope of getting the gig. The job ad does state interim/permanent. If he is in place then it means he’ll take the team for the Arbroath game in which case he’ll be the de facto interim boss. He did that at Rangers. It could be that he’s been asked to stay meantime and to submit an application. If that were the case I’d expect the players to do the usual thing that players tend to do and make pleas in the media (social and otherwise) for the incumbent to get the job.

I suspect that he is scanning the 'Situations Vacant' pages very closely and can see him quitting before the Arbroath game unless he gets "the gig".

With regard to your closing sentence, isn't that one of the reasons why we ended up with Jim Fallon? [emoji22]

Pretty sure Durrant has stated in the past (as in just last season) that he has no interest in being a gaffer in his own right. Of course that could've changed but I can't see him stepping up to take the job, nor do I think our board will believe he's the best candidate. 

12 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

With regard to your closing sentence, isn't that one of the reasons why we ended up with Jim Fallon? emoji22.png

Yes, it is and I wasn't recommending it,  just stating the prosaic reality of such situations. It's happened several times in my time supporting the Sons, going back to Jackie Stewart and Alex Wright, then Wright and Davie Wilson.  Personally, I think there's likely to be a better candidate(s) emerge from the applications but imagine an appointment hadn't been made and the interim boss won at Arbroath. Unlikely as that may seem, stranger things have happened. It would be wise I think to wait until after the Thistle appointment has been made. Jim Duffy, for example, has publicly ruled himself into that scenario.

47 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken said:

Until the club announces it, I’ll be holding out some (slim) hope!

He's still with you right now. I'm not sure what the point in cancelling his loan at this point would be unless he truly hates it there and just doesn't want to go back. If the issue was the manager then he's now gone. He can't play for anyone else until January anyway except for Celtic's reserves and he can do that regardless without cancelling the loan, so why bother (unless it has financial implications for Dumbarton). Unless he's planning on going back out on loan below the SPFL to a Lowland League club (they don't use windows) then cancelling it doesn't actually achieve anything.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's still with you right now. I'm not sure what the point in cancelling his loan at this point would be unless he truly hates it there and just doesn't want to go back. If the issue was the manager then he's now gone. He can't play for anyone else until January anyway except for Celtic's reserves and he can do that regardless without cancelling the loan, so why bother (unless it has financial implications for Dumbarton). Unless he's planning on going back out on loan below the SPFL to a Lowland League club (they don't use windows) then cancelling it doesn't actually achieve anything.

I had thought that was the case...

Thanks for the update!

Very interesting. I assumed that he would be able to play for Celtic's first team and they had maybe recalled him due to only having 2 strikers.

How do you know he's still officially with us? Is it listed somewhere?

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Pretty sure Durrant has stated in the past (as in just last season) that he has no interest in being a gaffer in his own right. Of course that could've changed but I can't see him stepping up to take the job, nor do I think our board will believe he's the best candidate. 

That's the point I'm struggling to make. If he DOES want it I agree that there will be better candidates so he has little to encourage him to stay. Can't help but think he's the sort of guy who would appreciate being "passed over" for a position in a club where he already employed. Big difference between his positions at Ibrox and DFC: down here he'll consider himself a big fish (as well as having a face like an angry trout).