Sons' sorrow

Duffy has been touting himself for the Thistle job since the vacancy became available. As I have said before If we can wait till Thistle appoint we might have a wider choice of candidates.
5bbf52dbbea88_FireShotProScreenCapture003-ManagerSpecials--McBookie-www_mcbookie_com_en-gb_sports_coupons_manager-specials.thumb.png.18825ab4289b12f223ab0aaebff7e9c8.png
We may indeed but there Is a good number on there that I'm sure dont even know we exist never mind consider us

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:
3 hours ago, Howlin said:

Duffy has been touting himself for the Thistle job since the vacancy became available. As I have said before If we can wait till Thistle appoint we might have a wider choice of candidates.

We may indeed but there Is a good number on there that I'm sure dont even know we exist never mind consider us

There are several there who wouldn't consider us. They'll all know we exist. 

Looking at it, the only name that has been seriously suggested here is Jim Duffy. He may not interest the board at DFC but if he does they would be as well waiting. Duffy has, at various stages in his career shown willingness to drop a level to keep his career going. 

If the board aren't considering Duffy then the timing becomes irrelevant unless Airdrie are after the same target. 

There are several there who wouldn't consider us. They'll all know we exist. 
Looking at it, the only name that has been seriously suggested here is Jim Duffy. He may not interest the board at DFC but if he does they would be as well waiting. Duffy has, at various stages in his career shown willingness to drop a level to keep his career going. 
If the board aren't considering Duffy then the timing becomes irrelevant unless Airdrie are after the same target. 
Why wouldn't we just approach him now? I don't see what we gain from waiting.

If he's interested in the Thistle job but would come to us if that falls through I'm sure he'd say so. If he isn't interested in the slightest then it allows us to move on without wasting anymore time.

I certainly wouldn't be hanging around to see what Partick Thistle decide to do.

28 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Why wouldn't we just approach him now? I don't see what we gain from waiting.

If he's interested in the Thistle job but would come to us if that falls through I'm sure he'd say so. If he isn't interested in the slightest then it allows us to move on without wasting anymore time.

I certainly wouldn't be hanging around to see what Partick Thistle decide to do.

Duffy has been pretty much whoring himself for the Thistle job;  it's clear that an approach to him would fail at this stage. I have no idea if Duffy is someone who interests the board. 

In any case, the board have (in my view correctly) invited applications to see who is interested. It would be a pretty strange way to go about things to invite applications and then go after a target. I'd expect applications, shortlist,  interviews and then an appointment. That would be unless there was a single outstanding candidate, negating the shortlist. 

Duffy has been pretty much whoring himself for the Thistle job;  it's clear that an approach to him would fail at this stage. I have no idea if Duffy is someone who interests the board. 
In any case, the board have (in my view correctly) invited applications to see who is interested. It would be a pretty strange way to go about things to invite applications and then go after a target. I'd expect applications, shortlist,  interviews and then an appointment. That would be unless there was a single outstanding candidate, negating the shortlist. 

I think it would be prudent to target certain candidates in tandem with the application process. There will be some managers that may not apply until they have had a discussion in order to understand the lay of the land and what they are getting in to. There are lots of reasons that could make the Dumbarton job more attractive than the Thistle job, not least that the likes of Duffy could continue his media commitments alongside the manager role. I think a 2 pronged approach will give a more successful outcome, and will speed up the process as we can rule out certain targets early doors and move on.

19 minutes ago, optimistic said:

When should we expect an announcement? Mon/tues at the latest I’d say, get them in for tues training

I doubt it.I reckon someone will come in after the Arbroath game.Dont think they have even begun the interview process yet.The BOD did say they would take their time.

I'm not too bothered when we appoint someone to be honest, as long as it's the right man (or woman). 

If that means someone comes in late next week and Durrant takes the Arbroath game, or if it means someone doesn't come in until the East Fife game then so be it. With East Fife being our only home game in a five (or six?) week period then having the new manager buzz might help boost the attendance a wee bit.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

I'm not too bothered when we appoint someone to be honest, as long as it's the right man (or woman). 

If that means someone comes in late next week and Durrant takes the Arbroath game, or if it means someone doesn't come in until the East Fife game then so be it. With East Fife being our only home game in a five (or six?) week period then having the new manager buzz might help boost the attendance a wee bit.

What are PT fans saying about JD potential appointment?I had the feeling they wanted someone younger perhaps.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/stevie-aitken-keen-speak-airdrie-13402264

Classic Aitken. Just apply for it Stevie, you don't need your pals in the media to talk you up and make you look like you're begging for a job.

If I was Aitken (which, I guess technically I am), I would take a bit of a break from football. As much as I was in favour of him going, he does deserve a reasonable job. I just think some time out would benefit him.

The wounds of last season are still too fresh IMO.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Agreed. The Abroath game is a bonus, I really don’t expect us to take anything from it. That’s why it made sense to sack Aitken now, rather than giving him that game and sacking him after it.

If we’d given him the Arbroath game, we may as well have given him the reasonable run we have after that.

I have faith in the board, they’ll make the right decision.

From the record article;

‘"I've got a few things still to sort out with Dumbarton but I'm now an unemployed football manager looking for an avenue to get back in.’

Sounds like he’s not been paid off fully so it would suit us for him to get another club asap. I can’t think of anything else he would refer to as still to sort out.

14 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

From the record article;

‘"I've got a few things still to sort out with Dumbarton but I'm now an unemployed football manager looking for an avenue to get back in.’

Sounds like he’s not been paid off fully so it would suit us for him to get another club asap. I can’t think of anything else he would refer to as still to sort out.

Him finding alternative employment doesn't change the amount of money we owe him.

His compensation will be down to his contract with the club. It doesn't get cheaper if he takes another job.

Him finding alternative employment doesn't change the amount of money we owe him.
His compensation will be down to his contract with the club. It doesn't get cheaper if he takes another job.
Sometimes it does. If a manager isn't just paid off, he can continue to receive his wages up until the point he finds alternative employment.