Sons' sorrow

36 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken said:

I heard back in the day everyone just used to very blatantly take booze into the ground with them. Pretty sure I saw a photo of a post-match terrace covered in cans and bottles (so much so that you couldn’t actually see the terrace!).

Hampden was the worst. 100,000 or so to share a dozen toilets, so all the guys (except me, of course, I was brought up better :whistle) used to pee where they stood - the women too, probably - so you'd wind up with the back of your trousers soaking and the terracing turning into nothing but a sea of urine. You were so packed in you couldn't turn round to gub the b*****d behind you.

14206206_10153655278061574_6761857517651329469_o.jpg

Edited by Old Scrotum

26 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Hamilton was always the worst. You could get to the station but they'd chuck things down at you. It 's odd to think back and realise just how dangerous supporting your  team was back in the 70's

Aye, the days before segregation when the home fans could come round "tae get ye".

I remember the supporters' bus getting a window put in after a game at Ayr.  A couple of guys got out and caught the young culprit but reckoned the cops would do nothing so they dropped him at the roadside half-way back to Glasgow.

Love Street was rather nasty too, but we got our own back behind the "big stand" at Boghead while changing ends.

Worst terracing violence ever at Boghead?

Half-time against Hearts when the bottles were flying at the Garshake end. First game after promotion in 1972. League Cup. 1-0 Sons, Big Roy header in the second half.

2529.jpg

Edited by Old Scrotum

18 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Hampden was the worst. 100,000 or so to share a dozen toilets, so all the guys (except me, of course, I was brought up better :whistle) used to pee where they stood - the women too, probably - so you'd wind up with the back of your trousers soaking and the terracing turning into nothing but a sea of urine. You were so packed in you couldn't turn round to gub the b*****d behind you.

14206206_10153655278061574_6761857517651329469_o.jpg

The good old days. I believe they also used to bizarrely have cars at the side of the pitch that certain people could watch the game from?

10 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Worst terracing violence ever at Boghead?

Half-time against Hearts when the bottles were flying at the Garshake end. First game after promotion in 1972. League Cup. 1-0 Sons, Big Roy header in the second half.

2529.jpg

My Dad’s told me about that one before. Sounded like carnage.

37 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I can't see the whole shebang on Facebook but is the person who's made that large, ridiculous and tear-stained rant quoted above known to us Sons fans or is a moniker used to maintain their anonymity (a la our glorious overlords)?

Nah, he’s well known. The c**t in a see you jimmy hat.

I remember a Dundee game at Boghead getting a bit nawty too, up on the grass at the Turnberry End.
LOL a then mate of mine managed to get lifted TWICE before that game even started. It kicked off and he got huckled into a cop van at the Overwood gate. Only problem was that two Dundee bams were already in it and they all went at it again, resulting in a second caution. IIRC they were each fined.

14206206_10153655278061574_6761857517651329469_o.jpg.4f5331495235ba92fa344964d8758446.jpg

The decent ones would pee into their empty lager cans

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken said:

The good old days. I believe they also used to bizarrely have cars at the side of the pitch that certain people could watch the game from?

Ah, yes the three-wheeled "invalid  carriages" - "You can have any colour you wish Sir, as long as it is blue."

download.jpg

And then, come the eighties come the (da da, da-da da da....) the casuals!

Mrs Scrotum and I along with another couple were coming back from a game at Forfar, Off the bus at Dundee, wandering towards the train station, when a guy of about thirty comes out of a pub.

"Wur they boys that dress funny oan yon bus, ken?"

"No."

"Oh. Weel, haud on. I'll go n get mah mates n wi kin hae a fecht wi youze, ken."

Disappears never to be seen again.

There were invalid cars (The Invacar) at Boghead sometimes, usually when the Old Firm came to visit. I wonder if any old timers remember the first time Rangers came to visit Boghead on top league business in over 50 years? Quite seriously there was an old dear whose last wish was to see Rangers one more time before she died. She was lifted into place. in her hospital bed by a crane (I am not making this up) at the old stand (Dumbuie Avenue side). Anyway, here's a photo of some Invacars at an OF game in the 70s. Nae numbers on the Celtic shirts, only the shorts.  

invalids.jpg

36 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

There were invalid cars (The Invacar) at Boghead sometimes, usually when the Old Firm came to visit. I wonder if any old timers remember the first time Rangers came to visit Boghead on top league business in over 50 years? Quite seriously there was an old dear whose last wish was to see Rangers one more time before she died. She was lifted into place. in her hospital bed by a crane (I am not making this up) at the old stand (Dumbuie Avenue side). Anyway, here's a photo of some Invacars at an OF game in the 70s. Nae numbers on the Celtic shirts, only the shorts.  

invalids.jpg

I can remember invalid cars at Boghead in the late fifties and early sixties - days when we were nowhere near playing the Old Firm.

4 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Screenshot_2018-10-12-13-37-33~2.png

That is utterly shocking.        Saturday's !!!

Not only "Saturday's" but "Wales".

Why would Wales be a memory for the poor sod? We've not played in Wales in my lifetime (which hasn't been short) - if at all.

If Oswestry was the memory in question, that's in Shropshire, ie England. And he has Froxy to thank for that; not Aitken.

Minter doesn't cover it.

The heads gone is still going strong for any interested parties. We even have Ian Murray getting it in the neck now.

Edited to add: I think we may have an official square go now being offered by one of the Aitken Out Army. We need Tommy to diffuse this situation quickly. I can't begin to imagine the slaps and hair pulls that would occur if these two were to clash at the next home game.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

I can remember invalid cars at Boghead in the late fifties and early sixties - days when we were nowhere near playing the Old Firm.

Ok, my first Sons games were the League Cup semis at Hampden in 1970 - where there were plenty of invalid cars present there I suppose. There might have been the odd one or two at other games but they came out in force for the big games. There were always stories of able-bodied relatives borrowing disabled relatives' cars to get a close-up view.