Sons' sorrow

Also, for those who criticise Murray over the manner of his departure. This is the guy who built the foundation for the last six seasons we’ve enjoyed, which a lot of people have taken for granted. Without him, there is no way we’d have achieved what we did (and may never achieve again).

That’s not to say Jack Ross, Stevie Aitken et all, did not also play a significant part. But to write off Murray’s contribution is disrespectful at the very least.

He could’ve driven out of Dumbarton wearing a Bankies shirt and flipping the finger; he’d still be majorly in credit for what he gave us.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

2 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken said:

I’m not confident he will have done. It might be up to us to go and get him.

He is well known in Scottish football, i doubt he would really need to apply formally.With Macpherson being at the club as a coach i would imagine JD has his finger on the pulse at the club.We are not his first choice  but then again we wouldnt be many peoples first choice.

Surely people don’t want Ian Murray back. The pattern between our success playing good football with him and Jack Ross and the fact that Jack Ross’s teams have played that football ever since he left us. Meanwhile we declined badly in Ian Murray’s final season and that year was probably our luckiest year in the division to be honest, he then went to St Mirren and did, by all accounts, a brutal job there.

I definitely wouldn’t have him back and it annoys me how people just point blank refuse to believe that Jack Ross was the main reason why we played such good football for a long spell.

I still would like us to go down the young manager route and if Lee Miller is hungry for success, impresses the board with his tactical knowledge and is interested in coming to Dumbarton, I would take him for sure.

Jack Ross was the main reason behind the success we had at that time. I have heard this from a few of the ex players and I can’t say I am surprised.

4 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I wouldn't say finishing seven points clear of 9th made us lucky. We might not have been great to watch, but we still comfortably stayed up. Staying up on goal difference on 2016 was more fortunate.

Jack Ross and Ian Murray were the perfect combination. If it was all down to Jack Ross then we wouldn't have punted Alan Adamson in the first place. I think the truth behind who the key was lies somewhere in the middle. Jack is a great man-manager, Muzz gave us a professional edge that had been badly lacking otherwise.

Although there was an undoubted dip in the quality of the football we played, we were safe from relegation with 6 games still to play. in fact, it was maybe even before the beginning of April?

2 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

Jack Ross was the main reason behind the success we had at that time. I have heard this from a few of the ex players and I can’t say I am surprised.

If that was the case, why did we only have five points on Christmas Day 2012?

Surely people don’t want Ian Murray back. The pattern between our success playing good football with him and Jack Ross and the fact that Jack Ross’s teams have played that football ever since he left us. Meanwhile we declined badly in Ian Murray’s final season and that year was probably our luckiest year in the division to be honest, he then went to St Mirren and did, by all accounts, a brutal job there.

I definitely wouldn’t have him back and it annoys me how people just point blank refuse to believe that Jack Ross was the main reason why we played such good football for a long spell.

I still would like us to go down the young manager route and if Lee Miller is hungry for success, impresses the board with his tactical knowledge and is interested in coming to Dumbarton, I would take him for sure.
I agree with your views on Murray but the Jack Ross stuff is irrelevant. If you ask the right folk, Ian Murray had planned his exit well in advance of his departure. No problems there, but we've now already worn that T-shirt and don't need/wish to again.
Very seldom in football does a returnee return to repeat the trick, perhaps with the grimly notable exception of Alex McLeish.

I agree with your views on Murray but the Jack Ross stuff is irrelevant. If you ask the right folk, Ian Murray had planned his exit well in advance of his departure. No problems there, but we've now already worn that T-shirt and don't need/wish to again.
Very seldom in football does a returnee return to repeat the trick, perhaps with the grimly notable exception of Alex McLeish.
Billy Lamont didn't do too badly in his second spell with us!