Sons' sorrow

Having a look at some goal involvement stats and quite surprised to see Ross MacLean coming out on top with 9.

Averaging a goal or assist every 2.23 games, or 1 every 200 minutes played.  Rusty and Byrne are 2nd and 3rd. in terms of goal involvements per game.

Orsi also has 9 but has played more minutes - Buchanan and Gray both have 8.

Defensive stats are good, we just need to score more goals next year.  Easy eh...

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

At the recent Meet The Manager session Faz said that the Rangers 'B' rental monies equated to roughly 1/6 of the club's annual income.  I heard recently that relations between the clubs have frayed - a combo of the Love/Lowry episode and the pitch debacle no doubt - so that cash may be no more.

I was genuinely surprised to see Rangers wanted to continue with the deal this year considering the state of the pitch last season.

Wylde and Duffy before him were always the way you could tell someone had no clue about the Scottish lower leagues. I mentioned we'd signed Wylde to someone and they couldn't believe he could possibly be playing at our level and would surely be one of the best players in the league. 

32 minutes ago, Victor mcdade said:

Poor comments.  I have bought a season ticket for almost 40 years despite only making around half of the games.  That's my contribution to the club.

Times are tough, people have families.  Does that make us bad people/supporters if we don't go?

Screenshot_20230419-183152_Facebook.jpg

Aye that’s poor form tbh. It’s not exactly an appealing event and people have other financial worries at the minute. 

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry Jan, Wylde is a useless wee shitebag and stifles our attacking play every week. It's not a shock he's barelt been booked because he shites out of every tackle. We have full backs who stay in their position, we don't need defensive wingers as well. He's absolutely not good enough for the step up and should be warming our bench at best. Really disappointed we're holding onto him and I now fear we're going to hold onto too many. 

This.

7 hours ago, Frank Quitely said:

Who was it who said that the definition of madness is doing the same things over whilst hoping for a different outcome ?

Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

1 hour ago, Victor mcdade said:

Poor comments.  I have bought a season ticket for almost 40 years despite only making around half of the games.  That's my contribution to the club.

Times are tough, people have families.  Does that make us bad people/supporters if we don't go?

Saw that earlier and had the same thought. It's great the work that the volunteers do at the club, and having done work for the club recently I've seen the skeleton staff who work damn hard to run the place and therefore the usefulness that those volunteers bring, but to snark at people for not fancying the event they've decided on isn't right. Maybe they just picked an unpopular event and need to think harder about what fundraisers would be more attractive to the audience. I've seen the same folk moan on social media in the recent past about low interest in the supporters bus, but again, if the event is appealing then folk may be more interested. Plenty of us have used the supporters bus in the past and plenty of us have found it a drag. Our travelling support is always decent and made up mainly of folk who make their own way to games, there's a reason for that.

What should we do with the rest of the season? We cannot win the league ( realistically) and we will be in the play-offs.

Put the Sons' interests first. We want to avoid injuries before the play-offs, we have a small enough squad as it is. And we want unfit players back. 

Additionally should Farrell vary things in the remaining games to develop options for the play offs rather than simply play to win in the remaining league games?

I think so. The only focus now should be the play offs and preparation for them.

23 minutes ago, cremola foam said:

What should we do with the rest of the season? We cannot win the league ( realistically) and we will be in the play-offs.

Put the Sons' interests first. We want to avoid injuries before the play-offs, we have a small enough squad as it is. And we want unfit players back. 

Additionally should Farrell vary things in the remaining games to develop options for the play offs rather than simply play to win in the remaining league games?

I think so. The only focus now should be the play offs and preparation for them.

We've got very few fit options to rotate much. Not like we can play a second choice XI. Best we can hope to do is manage games to avoid over exertion or injury.

8 hours ago, cremola foam said:

Considering we've played almost every match this season to the same rigid game plan it's a bit of an ask to expect anything different now.  As for injuries they are a fact of football and we can't expect the likes of Findlay Gray to start holding back from tackles - I wouldn't want it either.

But I'm glad you are enthusiastic about the play-offs, I'm struggling to muster much interest.

We need to get some game time into players we may need to use in the play-offs. It would also be good to give our tired players a bit of a rest. Unfortunately we also need to consider building a bit of form and momentum ahead of the play-offs. We won in Annan and drew at home to Stirling. If we could get favourable results in our remaining games then we'd potentially be going into the play-offs with a bit more positive momentum. For me there's a huge risk where teams go into play-offs in poor form. You see them playing with fear and being very fragile. When they go behind then the heads go down. Go into the play-offs with a bit of confidence from improved form and it's the opposite - there's momentum to carry on and it can help get a team over the line.

3 better performances and results. 3 games without any new injuries. 3 chances to get some game time to players who might need it. If we can do that then we should be going into the play-offs with every chance of doing something.

17 hours ago, Victor mcdade said:

Slating fans one day then asking for donations for a bus to be ran the next?