Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Slating fans one day then asking for donations for a bus to be ran the next?  

The comments were ill-judged, but they're probably just a bit fed up with things atm (especially with those wee Stirling neds making fake bus bookings).

42 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

The comments were ill-judged, but they're probably just a bit fed up with things atm (especially with those wee Stirling neds making fake bus bookings).

I am really getting fed up with braindead antics of some our support.

Declan Byrne has signed a new one year deal

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/deco-here-for-another-season/

I think Declan Byrne is the best striker we have. And if he'd stayed fit for more than a few months this season then I reckon we'd be a fair bit closer to Stirling Albion than we are. Would we have won the league? Probably not. But if he could've got himself 15 or so goals then we would've been a damn sight closer.

Goalscorers are a nightmare to find. And I think he is one. He's pretty natural in front of goal, he gets himself in good areas and he's always looking to get efforts on target. He completely changes how we're able to play with his pressing, and he's probably the one player in our squad I'd back to get on the end of crosses and stick the ball in the net (Gregor Buchanan too actually, but he shouldn't be that far forward in open play).

Now. All that being said. I'm still concerned about his fitness. He's had an operation to tidy up a long-standing issue, and it sounds like his injury recently wasn't related to that. But he's not played a lot of football in two seasons now. And, with what I assume will be another small squad, we can't really afford him being out for four or five months again next season.

The injury is the only concern I have with him though. I think he's a good player, I think he suits the style we play and I'm pleased he's already committed to the club for next season.

NOW ANNOUNCE ORSI PLZ @DUMBARTONFC

Edited by Jan Vojáček

It's a difficult situation.

The club is relatively skint and needs money. The way it tries to do that throughout the year is to have various fundraising events. People put a lot of effort into organising them. When they don't happen and people start with some unfair criticism then those volunteers who've given up their time and effort understandably take it personally.

Unfortunately the other side to that is that we're still living in a cost of living crisis. We might not have the heating on much these days, but inflation is still over 10%. Its the same fans being asked again and again to put their hand in their pocket and stump up. It's not an endless supply of money. So as much as the folk trying to organise things might feel aggrieved, the fans who are being asked to stump up more money are also likely to feel miffed that they're being criticised when the money may have run out. Or people's free time. 

There needs to be a wee bit of understanding on both sides. The club can't keep relying on volunteers giving up their time and effort to try and raise money. Volunteering for the club is a thankless task at times. You give up your time and effort and there's often barely any thanks. Volunteers understandably get frustrated. At the same time, those volunteering need to remember that there's a finite amount of money in people's pockets these days. If it's the choice between a race night or a play-off ticket then folk who can't afford both will pick the latter. Away buses aren't cheap. An away day can be expensive and a trip to the likes of Elgin takes pretty much a whole day. Bus costs, match entry, food and drink and the time investment - all combine to make it a difficult decision for fans to commit to.

Fed up volunteers feeling underappreciated. Fed up fans feeling that there's no money left and that the money they do spend isnt appreciated. I think an awful lot could be done to improve things if there was more transparency at the club, better leadership from the chairman and club officials and better communication. It's just one area of a very difficult big picture where things could improve.

If we were to sign the best 10-12 players from the current squad and gave ourselves scope to either sign 6 or 7 quality additions then I'd be happy. No point in sticking with exactly the same squad as this season because doing the same thing repeatedly rarely delivers different outcomes. If we could take a couple of loan players to help out next season and either add League 1 quality or bring in some promotion winning quality if we don't go up then it would probably be a good job.

Quite how we do that given the shambolic state of overall club management is another matter.

As an add on, I'd be happy to keep (regardless of who we've actually signed for next season):

Long, McNiff, Buchanan, Lynas, Blair, Wilson, Gray, Orsi, Byrne.

You can probably make an argument in favour of McLean. Same with Broun.

I'd want us to move Lynch, Love and Rusty Maclean. I wouldn't have offered Wylde a new deal. I'm not overly keen on Wallace being retained. I probably wouldn't want Grant on a permanent deal.

The only one I really can't make my mind up with is Carswell.

6 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

We are getting linked with Orsi and Gray, opinions on them please? Know nothing about Gray, but OrsI at Morton would be a no from me

Marvin Bartley and Grant Murray were sat in front of me the other night, so that would explain it.

Finlay Gray is a central midfielder with an incredible engine on him. He can run, he can tackle, he's not scared to go forward and he's scored a few goals for us this season. I think his passing and crossing could do with being tidied up a bit, but I fully expect him to go on to bigger and better things given his development with us so far this season.

He is under contract until summer 2024 however. So unless there's a clause allowing him to move for free if we didn't go up then you'll have to cough up.

If I'm honest, I think one more season in League Two would be good for him. But I'd expect him to be capable of playing in League One at least in the not too distant future.

Orsi has been fantastic for us this year. He just does not score. Like, ever. His last goal was September 2021. He struggled up top for us in League One, but looks far more at home on the wing. I've no idea how effective he would be up a division though, and I've also really enjoyed watching him this year. So leave him where he is plz.

14 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

We are getting linked with Orsi and Gray, opinions on them please? Know nothing about Gray, but OrsI at Morton would be a no from me

Get yourselves to f**k.

Gray is a cracking prospect. He's quick, fit, energetic and gets beyond the strikers. His passing needs work though, as does his game awareness. Definitely one to watch and I'm delighted we gave him an extension halfway through his contract. Looks a real find.

Orsi is a right winger. Quick and tricky, with decent delivery. Can drift out of games and pick the wrong option at times, but usually a bright spot in our side.

9 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Marvin Bartley and Grant Murray were sat in front of me the other night, so that would explain it.

Finlay Gray is a central midfielder with an incredible engine on him. He can run, he can tackle, he's not scared to go forward and he's scored a few goals for us this season. I think his passing and crossing could do with being tidied up a bit, but I fully expect him to go on to bigger and better things given his development with us so far this season.

He is under contract until summer 2024 however. So unless there's a clause allowing him to move for free if we didn't go up then you'll have to cough up.

If I'm honest, I think one more season in League Two would be good for him. But I'd expect him to be capable of playing in League One at least in the not too distant future.

Orsi has been fantastic for us this year. He just does not score. Like, ever. His last goal was September 2021. He struggled up top for us in League One, but looks far more at home on the wing. I've no idea how effective he would be up a division though, and I've also really enjoyed watching him this year. So leave him where he is plz.

I’d imagine we will cough up as I know MB has watched Gray a few times

4 minutes ago, qos1990 said:

I’d imagine we will cough up as I know MB has watched Gray a few times

I like Marvin Bartley and Grant Murray used to play for my other team, but unless Queens are coughing up a million for the pair, it's a no. I'll be conducting all negotiations on behalf of DFC.

13 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Given his age there would be a fee involved whether he was under contract or not.

Its quite possible given he was already getting good reviews when he extended that there might have been a release clause?

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Given his age there would be a fee involved whether he was under contract or not.

Its quite possible given he was already getting good reviews when he extended that there might have been a release clause?

Only DFC and Finlay Gray would know that.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You're talking about a club who sold their stadium naming rights and kit sponsorship (turning down a solid offer from a local firm) without signing a contract. And then found themselves out of pocket at the end of the season as not a penny was coughed up. So if that is the case I could probably pay any release clause with the change rattling about in my car.

But aye. That could be the case. I think he's a really good player. But given I don't think we've received money for anyone since Tony Wallace in 2011, someone putting their hand in their pocket would represent good business. Both from Faz in identifying, signing and then tying down a talented young player and from the club in sorting the admin side.

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He turned up for the postponed one the week before, too, so must be pretty keen.

Edited by FifeSons