Sons' sorrow

9 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Not much been said after the Trust AGM the other night. I had hoped to make it down but sadly couldn't, does anyone have a brief summary of the discussion points? 

A comprehensive Minute of the AGM will issue to Trust members next week.  For non-members, now would be a very appropriate time to sign up!

I like a happy ending. so I'm hoping for FifeSons to win the lottery  and present the trust with a 500k cheque for a 4G pitch  That and Lionel Wickson to be presented with a haggis supper with supporter of the year inscribed in the batter.  Some dreams should come true.

18 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

I like a happy ending. so I'm hoping for FifeSons to win the lottery  and present the trust with a 500k cheque for a 4G pitch  That and Lionel Wickson to be presented with a haggis supper with supporter of the year inscribed in the batter.  Some dreams should come true.

Funny you say that, because I was just reading about that American couple who found a loophole in the lottery! There's even a film about it starring Bryan Cranston; it could be terrible, but if he's in it, I'm in.

Div Wilson has signed a two-year extension to his deal

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/new-deal-for-div/

I think I'm quite pleased with that. We're a better team when he plays and, whilst he can still infuriate you with some really daft basic mistakes, he's cut them down a fair whack this season compared to his first spell. He's got a good range of passing, his vision is excellent and he's managed to add a few more goals to his game this year - and I reckon should be aiming for 8 or so a season if he can stay injury free.

It's also nice to see us putting building blocks in place before the end of the season. It got me thinking who else I'd want to see given a new deal; if we can tie down Lynas, Bucky, Blair and Kalvin Orsi then that would give us a solid base to build from. Especially with Wilson joining Finlay Gray, Brett Long and Ryan Wallace in already being under contract.

I think Div signing is a pretty good one, start of the season against Stirling in the league cup and then against Rangers B he was rotten (everyone that day was mind you) and then he just seemed to end up on the bench. But since then I've been impressed by him overall. I think he seems to be willing to run on behind the strikers as well which seemed to work with Wallace dropping deeper in games. 

33 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's also nice to see us putting building blocks in place before the end of the season. It got me thinking who else I'd want to see given a new deal; if we can tie down Lynas, Bucky, Blair and Kalvin Orsi then that would give us a solid base to build from. Especially with Wilson joining Finlay Gray, Brett Long and Ryan Wallace in already being under contract.

I'd agree with that and also be tempted to say McNiff and Grant as well?

51 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Div Wilson has signed a two-year extension to his deal

https://dumbartonfootballclub.com/new-deal-for-div/

I think I'm quite pleased with that. We're a better team when he plays and, whilst he can still infuriate you with some really daft basic mistakes, he's cut them down a fair whack this season compared to his first spell. He's got a good range of passing, his vision is excellent and he's managed to add a few more goals to his game this year - and I reckon should be aiming for 8 or so a season if he can stay injury free.

According to a current staff member 10 or 11 of them were offered deals last week, so there should be more to follow. 

38 minutes ago, Rock Hudson said:

According to a current staff member 10 or 11 of them were offered deals last week, so there should be more to follow. 

Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, but all of this suggests that no matter what division we are in next season there is a likelihood that the managerial staff and quite a few of the playing squad will be unchanged, with no doubt the same game plan in operation.  

I find that a pretty depressing prospect.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Sorry to be the dissenting voice here, but all of this suggests that no matter what division we are in next season there is a likelihood that the managerial staff and quite a few of the playing squad will be unchanged, with no doubt the same game plan in operation.  

I find that a pretty depressing prospect.

I’m with you on this. Not to mention we seem to have a hell of a lot of guys who spend chunks of the season on the treatment table - most notably Byrne, Carswell, McKee, Wallace and Div Wilson.

I’m not against keeping some of the players but I’m not entirely sure I want to see much the same starting 11 next season. Wilson is a decent enough squad player for this level but a 2 year deal seems quite excessive, particularly if we have aspirations of promotion.

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Wilson signing is good news I’d say. Think there are too many people being reactionary to our current form.

There is no doubt we are a better team than last season, if we can keep most of this team and improve in a couple of areas (More depth on the wings being number 1 priority).

A lot of our issues this season are being caused by a lack of depth which has finally been exposed by an injury crisis. By this I don’t mean numerical depth, but the quality of it. I’d hope Farrell is realising that our strongest line up really is pretty good and that’s why he’s keen to get so many of them signed up ASAP.

There are some players who we’ve been relying on recently who I think won’t be in his plans going forward - the only underperforming player I’m worried Farrell will offer a new deal to is Wylde.

If possible I’d like us to move on: -

Edin lynch - Miles of the level required. It’s a miracle he didn’t cost us 2 points at Albion Rovers on Hogmanay .

Ally Love - he’s finished. Legs have really gone this season and gets so angry for not much reason. Really poor discipline for an experienced player. What I will say is he does work hard.

Peter Grant - incredibly slow. You can see he’s a good traditional defender but with those legs for every 2 solid games he’s going to have a horror show.

Gregg Wylde - Some of his efforts defending are ‘interesting’. Doesn’t give us any threat going forward because he lacks pace to beat his man nowadays.

luca Vata - hopefully he can rejoin the youth team!

John Gemmell - obvious reasons

Russel McLean - Unfit and a terrible fit for our system. If you’re a lone striker in a counter-attacking team you must either been able to hold the ball up (Ryan Wallace) or aggressively run the channels (Declan Bryne).

If we go up I’d be on the fence about Carswell and Ross MacLean staying. I am also not totally convinced by Buchanan but would definitely keep him as I think he’s solid with a competent defence around him (like first half of the season) and it would be nice to avoid a massive rebuild job.

1 hour ago, cameron2000 said:

Wilson signing is good news I’d say. Think there are too many people being reactionary to our current form.

There is no doubt we are a better team than last season, if we can keep most of this team and improve in a couple of areas (More depth on the wings being number 1 priority).

A lot of our issues this season are being caused by a lack of depth which has finally been exposed by an injury crisis. By this I don’t mean numerical depth, but the quality of it. I’d hope Farrell is realising that our strongest line up really is pretty good and that’s why he’s keen to get so many of them signed up ASAP.

There are some players who we’ve been relying on recently who I think won’t be in his plans going forward - the only underperforming player I’m worried Farrell will offer a new deal to is Wylde.

If possible I’d like us to move on: -

Edin lynch - Miles of the level required. It’s a miracle he didn’t cost us 2 points at Albion Rovers on Hogmanay .

Ally Love - he’s finished. Legs have really gone this season and gets so angry for not much reason. Really poor discipline for an experienced player. What I will say is he does work hard.

Peter Grant - incredibly slow. You can see he’s a good traditional defender but with those legs for every 2 solid games he’s going to have a horror show.

Gregg Wylde - Some of his efforts defending are ‘interesting’. Doesn’t give us any threat going forward because he lacks pace to beat his man nowadays.

luca Vata - hopefully he can rejoin the youth team!

John Gemmell - obvious reasons

Russel McLean - Unfit and a terrible fit for our system. If you’re a lone striker in a counter-attacking team you must either been able to hold the ball up (Ryan Wallace) or aggressively run the channels (Declan Bryne).

If we go up I’d be on the fence about Carswell and Ross MacLean staying. I am also not totally convinced by Buchanan but would definitely keep him as I think he’s solid with a competent defence around him (like first half of the season) and it would be nice to avoid a massive rebuild job.

Peter Grant has been excellent.  I'd be very happy if we could get him permanent.  Agreed on the rest.

36 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Today is obviously 'Let's All Get Right Ahead Of Ourselves' day.  Personally I prefer 'Let's Wait And See And Respond Accordingly' day.

52 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Friday night for the final is not ideal (if we make it).

When you sign injury-prone players, don't be surprised to end up with a bench of three. There's an argument that because of our financial situation, we have to take risks with certain players; however, I don't think it's wise or necessary to do it with many and I hope that won't be the case for next season.

15 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Peter Grant has been excellent.  I'd be very happy if we could get him permanent.  Agreed on the rest.

I haven't seen many games since Grant joined but whilst many have applauded his performances there is no denying that our defence has been worse since he arrived. He might well be doing individual things well but it doesn't appear he has the partnership with Buchanan that Carswell had formed earlier in the season. I think we've kept one clean sheet with Grant in the side.