Sons' sorrow

7 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Don’t mean to sound pedantic but BSC and Broomhill are 2 totally different clubs. This is why we have ended up here…..

BSC Glasgow as they are known and Broomhill used to be the same club, they played out of Alloa for years. Then they split and BSC basically became a new club, setting up roots at Peterson Park in Yoker, starting afresh in WOS division 4 (bottom of the pyramid)

Broomhill retained the original clubs membership and dropped the BSC part of the name. They jumped into bed with the Si Ferry circus that was Open Goal (renamed etc etc) and played out of broadwood with the hope of a fan base in Cumbernauld. That experiment bombed after 1 season and now they are back to being Broomhill and homeless! 
A completely pointless club who will bring 0 fans to Dumbarton. 
As has been pointed out already the Vale is a well run club in the local community. St Pats next year are likely to be in WOS division 4 (which they are likely to win) and will have a decent enough fan base. None of the folk supporting these clubs are going to jump ship to watch Broomhill play against B teams! 

If you're going to be pedantic; Peterson Park is in Knightswood, not Yoker. And people refer to open goal/bsc/Broomhill interchangeably as a) they all are, were or have been the same club and b) nobody cares about them enough to differentiate between their current guises.

I genuinely think St Pat's will have more fans than us and broomhill combined. It'd make more sense commercially to have them use our ground. If we are going forward with ground sharing then they would be more palatable 

6 minutes ago, the snudge said:

I genuinely think St Pat's will have more fans than us and broomhill combined. It'd make more sense commercially to have them use our ground. If we are going forward with ground sharing then they would be more palatable 

St Pat's manager told me the other day they had 100 fans at games. But as i said on another thread recently, is anyone actually a "fan" of an amateur team? Other than going to see your mates play or watching for 5 minutes while walking past. And the first smartarse to mention Queens Park will get a people's elbow.

4 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

St Pat's manager told me the other day they had 100 fans at games. But as i said on another thread recently, is anyone actually a "fan" of an amateur team? Other than going to see your mates play or watching for 5 minutes while walking past. And the first smartarse to mention Queens Park will get a people's elbow.

The st pats thing is purely for celtic fans who dont have a season ticket. But agree with yer man snudge, sharing with them would make more financial sense, more bar revenue etc. 

Broomhill have said in their statement that they’re looking to tap into the ‘local community’ etc they’re playing at a very similar level to Dumbarton, essentially let direct competitors into your ground who are wanting to take punters from your previously exclusive market. Thats genuinely honking business sense. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The st pats thing is purely for celtic fans who dont have a season ticket. But agree with yer man snudge, sharing with them would make more financial sense, more bar revenue etc. 

Broomhill have said in their statement that they’re looking to tap into the ‘local community’ etc they’re playing at a very similar level to Dumbarton, essentially let direct competitors into your ground who are wanting to take punters from your previously exclusive market. Thats genuinely honking business sense. 

You're always on shaky ground when agreeing with snudge. You'll be sporting ridiculous facial hair next.

17 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

This is what annoys me so much. It's a complete own goal to let another club try and build a support here and quite why our board can't see that as an issue is anyones guess. FWIW, I think Broomhill will struggle just as much to "tap into" this community as we have, but slapping another obstacle in our own path is absolutely insane. I said a couple of weeks ago that MacKay needs to walk before Farrell does - you can always pull the football side back but this idiot is sleepwalking the club to its death. 

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This is what annoys me so much. It's a complete own goal to let another club try and build a support here and quite why our board can't see that as an issue is anyones guess. FWIW, I think Broomhill will struggle just as much to "tap into" this community as we have, but slapping another obstacle in our own path is absolutely insane. I said a couple of weeks ago that MacKay needs to walk before Farrell does - you can always pull the football side back but this idiot is sleepwalking the club to its death. 

And he touched my penis

Wouldn’t any new Chairman, or board member for that matter (other than possibly the Trust rep) have to be approved by the shareholders, i.e. Andy Hosie? He is never going to vote for someone that might push back.

Meaning we are essentially stuck with MacKay or another Hosie puppet, and, by extension, totally fucked.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Greenmachine said:

George Fraser the guy who got the B teams into the LL runs Broomhill.He was the LL chairman at the time.

I have no doubt he’s buttering up our old duffer of a chairman as we speak in order to sway his vote for the conference league. That would be the final straw for me, personally.

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not offering any sort of defence for what is going on down there, but I think your aim needs to be wider than Neil McKay as there is another Director in the person of Colin Hosie.  The bottom line is that at one level it is just a stream of poor decisions - the sponsorship non-payment fiasco, the website revamp disaster and the manager's contract extension to name but three - and this is just the latest tone-deaf announcement.  On that contract extension, it was apparently based on continuity of many of the squad who took us to within almost touching distance of promotion, and yet here we are effectively rebuilding a squad.  Why the haste to pay the builder before the roof was on ??  Throw in the here today, gone tomorrow directorship of Colin P and Jim Smart leaving under a cloud and it's not a great picture emerging.  I could go on but you get the idea.

On another more important level, that of the chaotic ownership and their future intentions, well, who knows what the f**k is going on ?  Sadly however, despite the Trust's best efforts thus far there seems very little appetite on the part of the DFC Board to recognise and confront the very issue which is slowly but surely taking our club down in every sense.  If you don't believe that, you haven't been paying attention.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Queen’s Park?

The fact that this statement has been made and they haven’t even mentioned the state of the pitch the last 2 seasons or what they plan to do to rectify this is astounding.

They really don’t care anymore.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Yep, theres a massive market in Dumbarton, Vale and Helensburgh and you dont seem to do anything yourselves to really get in about it. The guy Fraser from Broomhill is quite a moron but he’ll try hard. I just think its a mental bit of business for Dumbarton. 

4 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Groundsharing is one thing but to put out a statement on your official website with quotes from the team that you will groundshare with talking about putting down roots and establishing a fan base not on your doorstep, but your actual fucking house is something else altogther. 

Okay I know Broomhill have no chance of building a fan base in Dumbarton but it's still a bloody stupid thing to put out. 

I can't get my head around that part of the whole thing.

Absolute tinpot stuff.