Sons' sorrow

Haven’t seen much of Durnan since our championship days, quick glance at his last 3/4 seasons would suggest he’s been a bit hit and miss or maybe struggled with injuries. Hopefully it’s a case of him finding his level at his age, rather than a slow regression down the leagues.

Seems a solid enough signing anyway if he’s still the same player he was years ago and he bring some much needed experience to the back line.

Edited by THE CHOSEN SON

I think Durnan’s a great signing. Especially for L2. Fans of his previous clubs said Buchanan was shite, which he was in L1 tbf, but very decent in L2. I suspect Durnan could be similar.

He’s a few years younger than Buchy, too, so hopefully any injury problems haven’t finished him.

Edited by FifeSons

Posted in Alloa thread but the fireys is 

2 day shifts - 2 night shifts - 4 days off - 8 weeks of that

2 weeks off 

So imagine would still miss a lot of games and training 

Good luck to Tony Wallace. Great lad and very good L2 player in my opinion

I’d like to think Durnan has come to some sort of agreement with his employer whereby his Saturday day shifts can be covered, otherwise it’s a hell of a risk on our part. I work a similar pattern and my work manages to accommodate boys who play at a far lower level than Durnan. 

In an 8 week cycle he’ll be scheduled to work 4 Saturdays - 2 day shifts and 2 nightshifts over that 8 week period. Nightshifts may not be an issue for home games (depending on what time he starts, I’m assuming it’s 7pm-7am) but obviously the majority of away games would cause problems due to the time he’d get home. That’s a hell of a lot of games he’d be missing without something in place. 

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

Credit to the Ultimate Weapon those are some good signings.

Even with him at the helm I'd still fancy Sons for top four in this cess pit of a division.

Individually you can say they are all fairly solid additions but I'm totally confused already as to how we fit these players into a coherent team. It makes a bit more sense if Malcolm has been brought in to play left back but our midfield options lack creativity and we don't really have a left winger other than Ross MacLean, who has been largely shite. Not sure where Wallace fits in unless the plan is shifting Orsi to the other side, which would be bonkers as he's been ripping this league down the right. Still a bit of work to do before you have a squad capable of challenging (if you ignore the loser in the dugout). 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Individually you can say they are all fairly solid additions but I'm totally confused already as to how we fit these players into a coherent team. It makes a bit more sense if Malcolm has been brought in to play left back but our midfield options lack creativity and we don't really have a left winger other than Ross MacLean, who has been largely shite. Not sure where Wallace fits in unless the plan is shifting Orsi to the other side, which would be bonkers as he's been ripping this league down the right. Still a bit of work to do before you have a squad capable of challenging (if you ignore the loser in the dugout). 

Maybe he's planning on doing a Duffy and picking a starting 11 which includes 8 centre mids sprinkled around at random?

Happy with the signings so far. All of a decent experience and ability level for League Two. Still need a couple of defenders, couple of forwards and a playmaker for my money, but it's early days yet.

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I hope we’re building depth and versatility - Malcolm, Wallace and Carlo can be deployed in a few positions - and I’d hope there’s plenty more to come. Another couple of defenders, a couple of wingers and a striker. 

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I did worry if Wallace was signed knowing Orsi is away? I hope I'm wrong with that though

On 27/05/2023 at 11:34, The Moonster said:

Our token Albion Rovers signing is Blair Malcolm this season. 

Absolutely sold the jerseys last week against Spartans and that was with captains armband on too

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Well I'll be quite direct here.  If we were tracking Tony Wallace, Calum Wilson and Carlo Pignatiello, and I presume we were, why then the haste to re-sign Blair, Wylde and David Wilson ?  I'm happy with all today's signings and I consider the midfielders to be an improvement on the latter three, but we now look to have an overload of players in that area of the team, even if Fin Gray departs.  Sure a couple can play different positions and that's fine, but I'd also ask where do Ryan Wallace, McLean and Orsi now fit in ?

And I'm a bit concerned that we now have sufficient poppy left to fix up at least another two quality defenders and dare I say it, a couple of goalscoring strikers which seem to have become an endangered species at The Rock.  Easier said than done of course but balance is absolutely essential if we are to perform consistently next season

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think Orsi will stay now, Carlo is his best pal. 

And also his cousin. Orsi played a big part in getting Carlo to sons before so fingers crossed. I know Orsi was played as a 9 in league 1 but playing out wide he was a different player but also I think he may have found his level in league 2 where he can get joy with his skill etc

Edited by Sons fan 1872

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think Orsi will stay now, Carlo is his best pal. 

Well I'm very glad to learn this

Overall, I'm happy with the players we've brought in if a bit similarly confused as to where they'll all play. We're obviously still lacking some positions but I'm sure those will come. 

Carlo being back is an excellent piece of business in particular 

We've brought in numbers. With Carlo we've even brought in quality. The question still remains though...

Where are the goals coming from?

Tail end of the season we saw Farrell moving Lynas to centre half when he subbed on Lynch. I wouldn't be shocked to see him try it again in order to accommodate Carlo at right back.  I'm worried about our defence right now and about the lack of creativity in midfield. We'll be dour and difficult to play against, but that doesnt make for enjoyable football and if we lose the first goal then do we have it in us to get back into games? Ross McLean and Kalvin Orsi are good players, but Chucky had a poor season and needs to improve. Byrne isnt the kind of forward who can lead a title winning line. 

I'd be happier if we signed a striker and a more creative midfielder. I suspect that Gray will leave, because if he doesnt then we're heavy in midfield without having creativity in there.