Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

If we do stick with 4-5-1 i would imagine Hilton would play behind the striker either byrne or ruth.Could Wallace play on the left with Orsi on the right?

Also in defence if Crighton is the bomb scare stenny fans are saying then maybe Lynas alongside Durnan  with carlo and young as the fullbacks?

If Hilton plays behind the striker then it leaves even less room for Pignatiello in midfield. Unsure if Tony has played on the left before. No chance Lynas plays centre back unless we're stuck. Crighton and Durnan will be the pairing for the season. 

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Given our current options, I wonder if he's planning on Orsi playing on the left and Wallace on the right. There's a lot of questions over who plays where, we just need to hope Faz gets it right quickly. 

It's probably a nice issue for a manager to have to be fair. But aye I could see him fancying that. And I'm not against it.

I've been doodling about with a 4-3-3 that I'd like to see too. It leaves quite a fair few good players benched; Hilton, Wallace and Byrne to name three. But I like the balance of it. And it would let the full-backs charge forward a wee bit.

Brett Long

Carlo Pignatiello Sean Crighton Mark Durnan Greig Young

Finlay Gray Ryan Blair Blair Malcolm

Kalvin Orsi Michael Ruth Ross MacLean

That midfield would have the energy of Gray and Malcolm with the passing and discipline of Blair to anchor it. Gray offering an attacking threat, Malcolm smashing guys and filling in at full-back when Young or Carlo go forward. Orsi and MacLean able to either peel really wide and play on the touchline, or squeeze in and play a bit more centrally. Ruth should have both support and service. But also someone like MacLean to get into the box if he's out in the channels.

Annan (I'm sure) played A 4-3-3 then they battered us; Goss as the focal point. Smith and Johnston wide of him. Then Reece Lyon, Dominic Docherty and Tony Wallace as the midfield three. And it was absolutely terrific to watch. Which is probably why I'm wanting to see us do something similar. It can easily become a 4-5-1 when we're looking to shut up shop too.

Faz said to me last season that we had a squad only comfortable in one formation. So I'm 99 percent sure that one of his biggest aims this pre-season will be to find a different shape that they can switch to if the 4-1-4-1 isn't working.

54 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

If we do stick with 4-5-1 i would imagine Hilton would play behind the striker either byrne or ruth.Could Wallace play on the left with Orsi on the right?

Also in defence if Crighton is the bomb scare stenny fans are saying then maybe Lynas alongside Durnan  with carlo and young as the fullbacks?

You can't take the word of the Stenhousemuir fans on here. The same half dozen fans have been talking shite for 15 years on P&B. Crighton and Durnan will be our central defensive partnership and I'm perfectly happy with that.

18 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

You can't take the word of the Stenhousemuir fans on here. The same half dozen fans have been talking shite for 15 years on P&B. Crighton and Durnan will be our central defensive partnership and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Can only imagine how intense the shithousery would become if they c***s actually won *anything*.

Sean Crighton's a perfectly capable League 2 centre-back and there is plenty to like about him but there are times he'll let you down and cost you about four or five by switching off or doing something daft. It was the right time for him to move on from Stenhousemuir and I hope he does Dumbarton a solid turn.

45 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Looking forward to another season of epic failure from them. I think its even longer than 15 years. I remember when we came down in the mid 2000s, when they had a young David Templeton and were certain to win the league on here.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Sean Crighton's a perfectly capable League 2 centre-back and there is plenty to like about him but there are times he'll let you down and cost you about four or five by switching off or doing something daft. It was the right time for him to move on from Stenhousemuir and I hope he does Dumbarton a solid turn.

To be fair, that could quite easily be Gregor Buchanan you have described there. I don't imagine there will be much in it between the 2. Gregor was much improved last season, but still had some mad moments and the season before he was absolutely dreadful when we got relegated. Literally we made several defensive howlers every week which lead to us conceding goals and he was an ever present part of that.

I like the Stenny boys. Don't take anything too seriously and the wee jibes at other clubs players and dealings is what makes these boards fun. The League 2 forum is a ghost town at the best of times, I'm glad theres folk here talking shite rather than saying nothing at all. 

22 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I like the Stenny boys. Don't take anything too seriously and the wee jibes at other clubs players and dealings is what makes these boards fun. The League 2 forum is a ghost town at the best of times, I'm glad theres folk here talking shite rather than saying nothing at all. 

Only getting worse with the likes of ‘ambitious’ clubs like Cove, Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Spartans with their one fan on P & B shtick.

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

TBF i know nothing about Crighton.I think at this level certain players do well under certain managers and thats that.GB was a bit hit and miss albeit lst year he was mainly good.Andy Graham was immense under Murray before turning to shite iunder Stevie before becoming a world beater with Alloa.So i guess we will have to wait and see.

No doubt though a change of formation is needed and I hope between friendlies and LC ties we get some credible shape on the park and an inkling of our best 11.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Decent banter with them at Ochilview too.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

It's probably a nice issue for a manager to have to be fair. But aye I could see him fancying that. And I'm not against it.

I've been doodling about with a 4-3-3 that I'd like to see too. It leaves quite a fair few good players benched; Hilton, Wallace and Byrne to name three. But I like the balance of it. And it would let the full-backs charge forward a wee bit.

Brett Long

Carlo Pignatiello Sean Crighton Mark Durnan Greig Young

Finlay Gray Ryan Blair Blair Malcolm

Kalvin Orsi Michael Ruth Ross MacLean

That midfield would have the energy of Gray and Malcolm with the passing and discipline of Blair to anchor it. Gray offering an attacking threat, Malcolm smashing guys and filling in at full-back when Young or Carlo go forward. Orsi and MacLean able to either peel really wide and play on the touchline, or squeeze in and play a bit more centrally. Ruth should have both support and service. But also someone like MacLean to get into the box if he's out in the channels.

Annan (I'm sure) played A 4-3-3 then they battered us; Goss as the focal point. Smith and Johnston wide of him. Then Reece Lyon, Dominic Docherty and Tony Wallace as the midfield three. And it was absolutely terrific to watch. Which is probably why I'm wanting to see us do something similar. It can easily become a 4-5-1 when we're looking to shut up shop too.

Faz said to me last season that we had a squad only comfortable in one formation. So I'm 99 percent sure that one of his biggest aims this pre-season will be to find a different shape that they can switch to if the 4-1-4-1 isn't working.

I had to read that last paragraph three times.  Whilst I wouldn't dispute that we 'had a squad only comfortable in one formation', whose responsibility was that exactly ??  A staggering comment.

As to this seasons line-up I really worry that a Durnan/Crighton CB pairing could be exposed by anyone with attacking pace but that may be rarity in itself.  In the event of it happening could Malcolm be an option alongside either CB ?

And I really want to see what the new signings can give us from the off.  Hilton was genuinely impressive any time I saw him with Stranraer, and Calum Wilson and Tony Wallace could potentially fill Blair's role but with more mobility and two-footedness.

Up front needs two players; unless my eyes deceived me last season Stirling won the title with Thomson and Carrick, and Greig Spence coming off the bench.  I think we need Ruth muscling his way to create opportunities for either Byrne or Wallace, and I would seriously can the notion of one guy up front flanked by a pair of frequently misfiring wingers; one an option yes, but two's a crowd.

It's all about opinions of course, and it's amazing how fans and managers can see things very differently.  We are usually right of course 😉

3 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Andy Graham was immense under Murray before turning to shite iunder Stevie before becoming a world beater with Alloa.So i guess we will have to wait and see.

Harsh IMO - Andy Graham only made 4 competitive appearances under Aitken (2 in the league) and clearly Aitken had decided early doors he wanted shot of him which I’m sure wouldn’t have helped. 

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Harsh IMO - Andy Graham only made 4 competitive appearances under Aitken (2 in the league) and clearly Aitken had decided early doors he wanted shot of him which I’m sure wouldn’t have helped. 

I was basing that on those performances especially the cup tie at Hampden vs Queens Park where he literally died on the park.Dont get me wrong not having a go at him as I thought he was outstanding and was sorry to see him go.

23 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I had to read that last paragraph three times.  Whilst I wouldn't dispute that we 'had a squad only comfortable in one formation', whose responsibility was that exactly ??  A staggering comment.

As to this seasons line-up I really worry that a Durnan/Crighton CB pairing could be exposed by anyone with attacking pace but that may be rarity in itself.  In the event of it happening could Malcolm be an option alongside either CB ?

And I really want to see what the new signings can give us from the off.  Hilton was genuinely impressive any time I saw him with Stranraer, and Calum Wilson and Tony Wallace could potentially fill Blair's role but with more mobility and two-footedness.

Up front needs two players; unless my eyes deceived me last season Stirling won the title with Thomson and Carrick, and Greig Spence coming off the bench.  I think we need Ruth muscling his way to create opportunities for either Byrne or Wallace, and I would seriously can the notion of one guy up front flanked by a pair of frequently misfiring wingers; one an option yes, but two's a crowd.

It's all about opinions of course, and it's amazing how fans and managers can see things very differently.  We are usually right of course 😉

Not totally against playing 2 up top but I struggle to see where Hilton fits in a straight 442. With the players we've signed I can only see a 451/433 being preferred. I'm not sure Blair would be the first to be replaced in our midfield either but as you say it's all about opinions.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not totally against playing 2 up top but I struggle to see where Hilton fits in a straight 442. With the players we've signed I can only see a 451/433 being preferred. I'm not sure Blair would be the first to be replaced in our midfield either but as you say it's all about opinions.

The best Sons team I ever saw played to a 424 formation, it was one of simplicity, efficiency and attacking intent.  Imagine the 2 part comprising Gray and C.Wilson/T Wallace, and the front 4 part being Hilton, Ruth, R Wallace/Byrne and McLean.

8 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The best Sons team I ever saw played to a 424 formation, it was one of simplicity, efficiency and attacking intent.  Imagine the 2 part comprising Gray and C.Wilson/T Wallace, and the front 4 part being Hilton, Ruth, R Wallace/Byrne and McLean.

What year was that?