Sons' sorrow

I’ll be honest it’s not a signing I’m overly enamoured with - mostly because I’d far rather see us sign a solid backup option for Durnan and Crighton. I thought he was fairly hopeless when he was with us before but that was a few years ago at a higher level and I’d certainly view him as an upgrade on Wylde. His versatility should come in quite handy.

If we can punt Wylde out on loan and find cover for our centre backs I’d be happy. I’m not a fan of shoe horning guys like Malcolm, Shiels, Lynas or Carlo in there in the event of injuries or suspensions.

I feel similarly about this as I did about Div Wilson signing last year. If Sheils can go on to contribute as much as Div did last season then I'd be fairly happy.

Never really showed much last time but has played a lot of football since then and we are at a lower level so might be a decent option to have in the squad. Only time will tell.

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Not really the player we need, unless we've either got a problem with McLean and we're going to play Shiels in an attacking role or we're moving Wylde on loan to Broomhill. Would much rather we'd signed cover at centre half.

I'm going to hazard a guess that he will be our cover centre-half. Alongside Lynas and Malcolm

"I think you see his quality today for 45 minutes. I thought he was outstanding at left centre half." - Mick Kennedy, EK boss.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-rangers-hamilton-accies-defender-30314674

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that he will be our cover centre-half. Alongside Lynas and Malcolm

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/former-rangers-hamilton-accies-defender-30314674

He started life as a forward. Then moved wide left. Then moved to left back. Now he's a left sided centre half.

I know that young players move positions a lot before finding their best role, but that has to be a worry. He's here now though, so we just need to get on with it and  hope he's found his best position.

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

He started life as a forward. Then moved wide left. Then moved to left back. Now he's a left sided centre half.

I know that young players move positions a lot before finding their best role, but that has to be a worry. He's here now though, so we just need to get on with it and  hope he's found his best position.

Be interesting to see if he ends up playing on the right at any stage. Given that the only area he's missing!

As I said, I wasn't overly taken with him in his loan spell.  But he played 41 games for Hamilton last season. I know they were poor and were relegated, but the gap from the Championship to League Two is huge. If he can produce passable performances in the Championship then he should be an asset for a League Two side. I see him as being a replacement defensive style winger in place of Wylde personally. That would seem like the natural place for him to play. 

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We can file anything Mick Kennedy has to say in the bin along with his rotten chicken. My guess is Sheils is the cover for left back (as Wylde has been continually exposed there) and Blair Malcolm will cover centre back with Lynas. It's a bold strategy, Cotton...

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I raise you Derek Johnstone, Tom and Colin McAdam and Kenny Burns.