Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It's not really their fault, they're doing everything a club should do to attract fans, it's our own board who have allowed this to happen who are having a laugh.

Agreed our board have allowed this to happen. I know why they are doing it but it’s a brass neck and one our club should be clamping down on. We also shouldn’t be endorsing it by retweeting it but more so condemning it publicly and putting them in their place! Our MP for the area tweeted out his endorsement of it but hastily took it down with an apology once I pointed it out to him how ridiculous it was. 

Imagine allowing your tennants to not only try and bump your own supporters with DFC season ticket  specific discounts but also target potential Sons fans of the future by offering tickets to local school children. Our current board are so out of touch it is frightening and the quicker we rid ourselves of these clowns the better.

Perhaps @Paul Mc could explain to us why we are not only allowing this but actively encouring this via our social media channels. The mind fucking boggles.

13 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Thank you.

What I should have done is access Sons Archive first to narrow down the possibilities, so Pat McGowan maybe (though the player looks too tall for McGowan, from what I remember)

image.png.08066a01ad81018e221011769773ab25.png

Though I notice that Tam Coyle was both a starter and a sub that day

*shakes head at @microdave *

Duly fixed. Erich Schaedler started the game instead of Tommy Coyle.

21 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I think what I'd make of our games so far is that we're not really that different from last season.

We look ok at the back, but usually make at least 1 mistake per game.

We don't look overly fluid going forward and goals look to be a bit of a problem.

We've been here before. The more expansive, attacking, risk taking style of football has been in short supply so far. If we really do want to be more ambitious then it's time to start showing it.

I agree with the highlighted paragraph above, and it's fairly easily explained - the midfield has been pretty much the same as last season.  It's arguably the most important area of the team, it needs pace, it needs physical presence and crucially it needs instruction to attack rather than attempt to contain the opposition, and especially at home.

We now have enough midfield options to hopefully make this happen, starting with tomorrow

As much as I think supporting the broom hill bid to gain more supporters is a bit of an own goal I’ve always wandered why we haven’t done something similar regarding Celtic and rangers fans. 

for example. 

£17 entry to the rock is ridiculous tbh but the chances of your average punter paying that when they normallly go to park head or ibrox is zero. 

we should try discount it for when either of the old firm are away from home for example 

Celtic are away and you can’t get a ticket…bring your Celtic season ticket and valid ID to the turnstile and get entry for £10 or parent and child £15 

You’ll never stop the buses going to park head or ibrox on a Saturday but at the very least we should try to encourage them to come to the rock when the bus isn’t on 

17 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Imagine allowing your tennants to not only try and bump your own supporters with DFC season ticket  specific discounts but also target potential Sons fans of the future by offering tickets to local school children. Our current board are so out of touch it is frightening and the quicker we rid ourselves of these clowns the better.

Perhaps @Paul Mc could explain to us why we are not only allowing this but actively encouring this via our social media channels. The mind fucking boggles.

I'm not sure how we could stop Broomhill giving discounts to our season ticket holders. Confiscate the ticket if anyone goes along?

Who knew that letting a homeless club who want to "put down roots" to share your stadium was a bad idea?

Genuinely concerned, and bewildered, at how desperate your board seem to be to kill your club.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

I'm not sure how we could stop Broomhill giving discounts to our season ticket holders. Confiscate the ticket if anyone goes along?

Quite easily. Write it into the terms of the stadium deal or politely tell them f**k right off and stop trying to poach Dumbarton supporters. When they are paying to use our stadium we set the rules.

That’s before we get started on the fact our utterly clueless board are actively advertising it on our social media channels.

2 hours ago, DobbiesAgent said:

As much as I think supporting the broom hill bid to gain more supporters is a bit of an own goal I’ve always wandered why we haven’t done something similar regarding Celtic and rangers fans. 

for example. 

£17 entry to the rock is ridiculous tbh but the chances of your average punter paying that when they normallly go to park head or ibrox is zero. 

we should try discount it for when either of the old firm are away from home for example 

Celtic are away and you can’t get a ticket…bring your Celtic season ticket and valid ID to the turnstile and get entry for £10 or parent and child £15 

You’ll never stop the buses going to park head or ibrox on a Saturday but at the very least we should try to encourage them to come to the rock when the bus isn’t on 

I’d rather stick with what we’ve got than trying to encourage those insufferable c***s to attend our games.

51 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If the planning is rejected, what happens? There is £1.8M debt sitting there waiting to be paid from that land if I understand our accounts properly. 

The accounts probably don't show the stadium land properly.

Cognitive owe us £1.5mil for the land. If planning permission is knocked back then presumably there's a paper transaction of £1.5mil that covers the money owed to us by Cognitive.

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If the planning is rejected, what happens? There is £1.8M debt sitting there waiting to be paid from that land if I understand our accounts properly. 

Nobody really knows because detailed information has never been forthcoming on the club purchase process and the associated securities, including a third-party, but if it is granted and the development proceeds as per the application then DFC will be effectively hemmed in on a rump site with much reduced parking.  A cup-tie with the likes of Falkirk or Thistle could be challenging.

As for the £1.8M sum, my interpretation of Note 17 is that around the time of the change of ownership from Brabco, DFC sold a parcel of land to Cognitive but the payment was conditional on the development being completed, with the payment presumably being a percentage of the monies accruing from the house sales.  That's what I think the accounts say, but I'm guessing I'm wrong because it's like me selling someone a car and telling them not to pay me until they've driven 40,000 miles.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

The club retain the ground as security on the loan.  I would think that if planning permission is refused then CC will default on the loan which will then see the ground returned to the club.

In finance terms it doesn't make any real difference as the ultimate beneficiary is the same (minor Dumbarton shareholders excepted of course).

1 hour ago, strichener said:

The club retain the ground as security on the loan.  I would think that if planning permission is refused then CC will default on the loan which will then see the ground returned to the club.

In finance terms it doesn't make any real difference as the ultimate beneficiary is the same (minor Dumbarton shareholders excepted of course).

Aye, but there’s a 3rd party to all these shenanigans. Pendragon finance. I think they’ve might have 1st charge over the land sold to Cognitive. So if this all goes tits up we might be left with f**k all but an unenforceable debt.

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons