Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m not a fan of this move in the slightest. After Long’s injury our number 1 priority should have been signing a new goalkeeper IMO. I don’t think it can be understated how important a good goalie is to a team. It seems bonkers to me to be flinging wages at wingers in our current situation with a looming cup tie that is earning us a decent wedge. 

Hopefully with games comes confidence for young Broun. Whilst it wouldn’t have been the route I went with, I wish the lad all the best with the opportunity that has presented itself to him.

We've gone from having the best 'keeper in the league to having an untested rookie and a dud. If he now goes and signs 2 or 3 players in January then I think most would agree he has made a mistake by not making one of those signings a goalie.

If he doesn't sign anyone else or even if he only signs a CB then I'd appreciate that we also needed someone in as cover in that area. But to go signing a winger, or even a striker over replacing one of our most important players, is ludicrous. I worry this could really cost us but, like yourself, would love to be proven wrong by Broun.

27 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

There is absolutely no way we couldn't have found a better choice than signing Paddy O'Neill... would've been as well getting one of the young boys to sit in the bench who are playing in the u19s or something.

easy saying that as long as it is only to sit on the bench, otherwise we are risking a repeat of a Peter Dennison situation (17 yo GK making Sons Debut - check the Sons archive kids for how that turned out) 

Obviously the official website has zero information on the youth teams (despite relevant holding pages for squad bios) but from what I've heard 2nd hand the goalkeeping position at the U20s has been the issue that lead to the change in management. Was told that a couple of new young keepers were sent along to the by the club at the start of the season. A few months pass (the youth teams are really just separately run with little DFC input or support- ASFAIK) and Farrell comes down to watch training or a game and enquires how the keepers are getting on.  BUT they had been sent away by the then U20s manager. His son being the first choice GK. I've no idea who the keeper(s) are now for the 20s (or indeed how true that is) 

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Where has Paddy O’Neil been since leaving us the last time and just how much football has the guy actually played?

It looks like he was with Troon but I can't see how often (if at all) he played.

At face value this looks like a highly risky situation.  According to Wikipedia Paddy O'Neil has made 36 appearances in 10 years - no harm to the guy but that lack of game time would in itself would be a huge red flag for me, and it would be interesting to know how many other keepers were considered or approached.

And whilst he is intended as back-up, any injury or form issue with Harry Broun and he could be propelled into first-team duty.  I just can't figure it out.

2 hours ago, Urban Spaceman said:

easy saying that as long as it is only to sit on the bench, otherwise we are risking a repeat of a Peter Dennison situation (17 yo GK making Sons Debut - check the Sons archive kids for how that turned out) 

Obviously the official website has zero information on the youth teams (despite relevant holding pages for squad bios) but from what I've heard 2nd hand the goalkeeping position at the U20s has been the issue that lead to the change in management. Was told that a couple of new young keepers were sent along to the by the club at the start of the season. A few months pass (the youth teams are really just separately run with little DFC input or support- ASFAIK) and Farrell comes down to watch training or a game and enquires how the keepers are getting on.  BUT they had been sent away by the then U20s manager. His son being the first choice GK. I've no idea who the keeper(s) are now for the 20s (or indeed how true that is) 

The point I was making is that, Paddy O'Neill has done absolutely nothing in his career and I think if we were going to take the easiest option a young boy would have been a similar option. Obviously, I don't have any knowhow when it comes to our youth teams etc but I'm just not convinced there was no way we could have done better in this situation.

2 hours ago, Clarko_son said:

Even in the recent past we've seen what a not reliable goalkeeper can do. I really want it to work for Broun but this is giving me the fear 

Kilmarnock's relegation season is a great, painful and recent advert for what happens to a team who run with a goalkeeper who's not good enough.

Jobber O'Neil has been on the free agent list on SPFA website since the start of the season has he not?

Can just picture Uncle Faz stumbling across the page online, after pittin the lottery numbers oan, and thinking he's the absolute boy for getting this one over the line.

Long live Uncle Faz!

Edited by Neilly

4 hours ago, Urban Spaceman said:

I think you are right, it was run separately, albeit Faz has been to a number of games. The new u-20s manager is Gordon Scanlon who is 1st team analyst and I can only imagine that will provide better links with the 1st team. 
that being said I’m not sure the 20s GK is a better option than Paddy O Neil albeit cheaper. Look at the 20s league table and you will see why.

there must be a better back up out there. Have Edinburgh City not just released their entire 1st team? They must have a half decent keeper kicking about wanting a wage

9 minutes ago, Neilly said:

Jobber O'Neil has been on the free agent list on SPFA website since the start of the season has he not?

Can just picture Uncle Faz stumbling across the page online, after pittin the lottery numbers oan, and thinking he's the absolute boy for getting this one over the line.

Long live Uncle Faz!

Paddy isn't even a jobber, he's had two senior clubs and barely played. He's just clearly not good enough.

See if there is someone who's not going to be taking an additional ticket for the Rangers game and would feel generous enough to allow me to claim theirs as well then please let me know. Crazy days where there are 2 people asking to come with me to a Dumbarton game I know...