Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Broomhill when they moved in made no secret of the fact they were trying to ‘lay down roots’ and ‘embed themselves in the local community’. I can’t help but feel these appointments are purely to get the locals along to support. 

With our dodgy ownership and dwindling support (which hopefully will grow being in L1 next season) we could do without our lodgers trying to tap into sections of our support who may be tempted to go see a sons legend and local guy who made a very successful playing career at a high level! 

I know our fans can be a weird bunch but I'd really doubt that the allure of Zander Diamond is going to pull them away. They seemed to try all kinds of initiatives throughout the year in terms of getting people to go and as far as I can tell it's not worked as the attendances are still mainly friends/family and away fans.

It does bother me as well that we have allowed someone to come to our ground and try to recruit our fans (or potential fans) but to put it simply, I really don't think they're much of a threat here

How desperate must we be for coin that we're actively participating in efforts to turn Dumbarton into a 2 club town. A town which in fairness has barely been able to sustain one football team over the decades.

8 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I may be wrong here but I see today our lodgers, Broomhill, have appointed Zander Diamond as manager and Martin Mooney as an assistant. 
Zander for the past few years has been coaching (not managing) at St Pats, who, in reality haven’t been setting the Heather on fire lately considering their status in the amateur game. His last Management job was at Syngenta in 2021, who I believe don’t even exist anymore in a senior capacity.

Broomhill when they moved in made no secret of the fact they were trying to ‘lay down roots’ and ‘embed themselves in the local community’. I can’t help but feel these appointments are purely to get the locals along to support. 
With our dodgy ownership and dwindling support (which hopefully will grow being in L1 next season) we could do without our lodgers trying to tap into sections of our support who may be tempted to go see a sons legend and local guy who made a very successful playing career at a high level! 

I know some folk won’t be bothered but it really annoys me and clubs like Broomhill (and a list of others I won’t go into) can get into the bin as far as I’m concerned. 

Not being funny but a lot of these newer clubs, and I include EK in that, can and will never ever build up a fanbase that clubs like Dumbarton have. They quite simply do not have the history and are trying to compete against the established traditional clubs who have been supported through the generations. They cannot compete with that. 

What new club has done that, you could say ICT but even then they were 2 separate clubs before that and it was a merger. Also their support is pretty pitiful considering they are the only professional side in one remote decent sized town / city. 

I would not worry about it and would sit back and watch their project fail. But your club should absolutely tell them to get to f**k though.

I agree, I really don’t see any locals that are ‘up for grabs’ deciding to go support Broomhill over Dumbarton. I reckon the board also realise this and know fine well there is no chance of Broomhill stealing fans away from us.

This will be nothing more than a failed venture for them and if it helps us get a new plastic pitch installed then I’d be delighted with that.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not being funny but a lot of these newer clubs, and I include EK in that, can and will never ever build up a fanbase that clubs like Dumbarton have. They quite simply do not have the history and are trying to compete against the established traditional clubs who have been supported through the generations. They cannot compete with that. 

What new club has done that, you could say ICT but even then they were 2 separate clubs before that and it was a merger. Also their support is pretty pitiful considering they are the only professional side in one remote decent sized town / city. 

I would not worry about it and would sit back and watch their project fail. But your club should absolutely tell them to get to f**k though.

Our fanbase really has dwindled, but as you say, it’s definitely not down to diddies like Broomhill and East Kilbride. 10 years of decline, along with poor (and for long periods, very unentertaining) performances on the pitch is what’s done it. Also doesn’t help when fans and volunteers are consistently mugged off by the club. 

It obviously also doesn’t help given the area we’re in is so concentrated with old firm fans, who’d rather sit on their arse at home and watch a game on the telly, than ever actually experience live football. Though, that’s hardly a new problem. 

Edited by FifeSons

17 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Our fanbase really has dwindled, but as you say, it’s definitely not down to diddies like Broomhill and East Kilbride. 10 years of decline, along with poor (and for long periods, very unentertaining) performances on the pitch is what’s done it. Also doesn’t help when fans and volunteers are consistently mugged off by the club. 

It obviously also doesn’t help given the area we’re in is so concentrated with old firm fans, who’d rather sit on their arse at home and watch a game on the telly, than ever actually experience live football. Though, that’s hardly a new problem. 

I don't think it is what's happening on the pitch that has caused our numbers to drop. We've been shitter than this in my lifetime and still had our regular numbers through the gate. It's the complete disconnect between owners, board and fans and our complete lack of community engagement. Charging one of the highest prices in the division probably doesn't help either. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think it is what's happening on the pitch that has caused our numbers to drop. We've been shitter than this in my lifetime and still had our regular numbers through the gate. It's the complete disconnect between owners, board and fans and our complete lack of community engagement. Charging one of the highest prices in the division probably doesn't help either. 

Hmm I'm sure the attendances were pretty bad when we had the successive relegations and finished bottom of the old Third Divison in the late 90s. I obviously agree with you on the owners, though.

According to wikipedia, those 90s attendances dipped into the 300s (with a low of 230?! Guessing that was a midweek game).

Also, this is a very strange one :lol: Can anyone recall/explain??

image.png.955d9d0e1ae5422ee426dc2c955ec7ab.png

Edited by FifeSons

The fall off over the last 20 years can best be demonstrated in these 2 pics of the away stand at Forthbank under similar circumstances. 

I thought the recent one had been taken before kick when I first saw it. 

20240522_133536.thumb.jpg.1b2ca33f0c12da5f3f187fd230cdc5a1.jpg

20240522_133551.thumb.jpg.e0e920a55ae9eef5d814dcabcfefb016.jpg

3 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Hmm I'm sure the attendances were pretty bad when we had the successive relegations and finished bottom of the old Third Divison in the late 90s. I obviously agree with you on the owners, though.

According to wikipedia, those 90s attendances dipped into the 300s (with a low of 230?! Guessing that was a midweek game).

Also, this is a very strange one :lol: Can anyone recall/explain??

image.png.955d9d0e1ae5422ee426dc2c955ec7ab.png

Lennox Herald 24 October 1997

image.png.f25a9ebbef588f038a41e35c9e22a285.png

2 hours ago, PWL said:

The fall off over the last 20 years can best be demonstrated in these 2 pics of the away stand at Forthbank under similar circumstances. 

I was actually really surprised at how little you brought through for the game. It might also be a representation of the current financial climate that many find themselves in, but I'm sure you brought bigger numbers through even as close as last year.

15 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I was actually really surprised at how little you brought through for the game. It might also be a representation of the current financial climate that many find themselves in, but I'm sure you brought bigger numbers through even as close as last year.

Lets hope promotion wins them some fans back mate.  The fans who have stuck by them through all this deserve more company and a bloody medal come to think of it.

46 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

There was a real sea change at Spartans last Friday, and I reckon we doubled the number in that Forthbank picture.  I would put it down to a combination of things; a failure of the team in in recent play-off situations with maybe a lot of folk thinking that the Binos would turn it around, and secondly by time the Final second-leg came around we had overcome yourselves and established a lead over Spartans, and people were actually starting to believe - correctly as it turned out.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

If you thought that was bad, you should've seen what Spartans brought to us.

I think the poor Stirling attendance could be put down to the amount of games in a small period of time as well. It can be a drain on finances and family life. 4 games in 11 days is a lot!

I reckon a lot would have maybe went to the home game and for financial or other reasons decided to skip the away day with the intention of going to Spartans away if we made it through.

6 hours ago, PWL said:

*30 years. 

33 minutes ago, Sons fan 1872 said:

With re to the squad , who do we think will be leaving us? 

From the squad page on the OS I’d go with:

Harry Broun

Matthew Shiels

Declan Byrne

Ross Mclean

Ryan Wallace