Sons' sorrow

I did a wee dig through our squad and wrote out who can play where (it's what I do in my FM saves, so now I'm doing it irl).

We have seven guys who can play centre-half (to varying levels). Durnan and Crighton are the only two natural ones, granted. But Sena can play there, Cammy Clark played there for Annan, Matty Shiels showed last season that he can do a job there, as can Mikey Miller. And that's before you get to our stand in last season, Aron Lynas. Will any of them be able to do it for a good chunk of the season in League One? Who knows. But I'd like to think that, between them, we have enough options to get by.

We've actually got a really nice balance across the squad now options wise. 3 RBs, 4 LBs, 5 DMs, 4 AMs, 4 LMs, 4 RMs. A few Swiss Army knives there like Miller and Carlo are maybe looking that look more healthy than it is, but it's certainly not a bad place to be in at all.

Michael Ruth is the only striker though. Hilton could maybe do a job if Ruth misses a week or so, so we're badly needing at least one more natural forward and I'd like to think that's where Faz's focus will be for the rest of the window.

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I did a wee dig through our squad and wrote out who can play where (it's what I do in my FM saves, so now I'm doing it irl).

We have seven guys who can play centre-half (to varying levels). Durnan and Crighton are the only two natural ones, granted. But Sena can play there, Cammy Clark played there for Annan, Matty Shiels showed last season that he can do a job there, as can Mikey Miller. And that's before you get to our stand in last season, Aron Lynas. Will any of them be able to do it for a good chunk of the season in League One? Who knows. But I'd like to think that, between them, we have enough options to get by.

We've actually got a really nice balance across the squad now options wise. 3 RBs, 4 LBs, 5 DMs, 4 AMs, 4 LMs, 4 RMs. A few Swiss Army knives there like Miller and Carlo are maybe looking that look more healthy than it is, but it's certainly not a bad place to be in at all.

Michael Ruth is the only striker though. Hilton could maybe do a job if Ruth misses a week or so, so we're badly needing at least one more natural forward and I'd like to think that's where Faz's focus will be for the rest of the window.

We've only got 1 goalie. 

3 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This is the big question though, where do you get a striker that can do Ruth things, and is happy to sit on the bench?

Definitely need more firepower.

We've had mixed fortunes in this field but an older F/T pro with a track record looking to transition to P/T  or reduced playing time would be ideal. An Eddie Annand type rather than an Rory Foy or Callum Campbell (for the older viewers).

Compliment that with a younger, nippy loan deal like James Graham.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’m not getting the James Graham shouts tbh. He didn’t get a run of games but did he show enough in the League below to warrant bringing him back this season? He also had a fairly unsuccessful spell with Annan during the first half of last season. I’d rather we took a punt on someone else.

Yes, I'd be looking for someone with more physical presence who could start games rather than a nippy impact sub.  I see Chris Kane has landed a deal at Dunfermline, someone in that mould but a bit lower down the food chain would be good.

Failing that a young loanee with a desire to succeed, just as CK was in his times here.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

On 20/06/2024 at 14:33, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Yes, I'd be looking for someone with more physical presence who could start games rather than a nippy impact sub.  I see Chris Kane has landed a deal at Dunfermline, someone in that mould but a bit lower down the food chain would be good.

Failing that a young loanee with a desire to succeed, just as CK was in his times here.

Gregg Wylde has been released by Camelon 😋

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

Are Geggan and McNiff still there as well? 

Iv no idea tbh, I follow them on twitter but haven’t seen their names pop up much, doesn’t mean they’re not there, just that I’m not paying that much attention 😂

1 hour ago, Clarko_son said:

Are Geggan and McNiff still there as well? 

McNiff was busy scoring for Austria last night. But he's still there (or was last season at least).

I clocked Geggan in a few pictures too, but he looked to be in a trackie. So not sure if he's called it a day. David Hopkirk is there too - if anyone remembers his brief spell with us. I think Willie Dyer *shudder* is on their coaching staff too.

I keep meaning to get down to one of their games. The Donald Dewar is just round the corner from my grandparents' house and used to be my boys' club's home ground. So I'm quite interested in how it's looking these days.

21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

McNiff was busy scoring for Austria last night. But he's still there (or was last season at least).

I clocked Geggan in a few pictures too, but he looked to be in a trackie. So not sure if he's called it a day. David Hopkirk is there too - if anyone remembers his brief spell with us. I think Willie Dyer *shudder* is on their coaching staff too.

I keep meaning to get down to one of their games. The Donald Dewar is just round the corner from my grandparents' house and used to be my boys' club's home ground. So I'm quite interested in how it's looking these days.

That's a wild collection of ex-sons they've got themselves there. If we're away from home I could go and reminisce about the glory days one afternoon. 

I like the cut of Mikey Ruth's jibe.In the Lennox interview he says we should go into L1 with confidence and not just to survive.I agree with that .There is no one we should fear while respecting all.Its probably on paper the most open L1 in years.Normally ICT would be the ones to boss the League but given their woes that looks less likely now.

I dont see why we cant go toe to toe with all the teams in theleague.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/michael-ruth-ive-loved-playing-33079690