Sons' sorrow

On 11/07/2024 at 18:59, 1320Lichtie said:

Not to derail a Dumbarton thread but the majority of the group games were excellent.

Last 16 not as good and overall poor.

Quarter Finals terrible aside from Spain v Germany and the two semi finals pretty good too for differing reasons and score line in second one aside. 

Anyway…

Agreed. The first week or two of the tournament were terrific but after that things stalled a little.

I'm quite happy for the occasional distraction from club football and the international windows provide that. Also the opportunity for emotional investment alongside tens of thousands of fans as opposed to just a few hundred at the Rock - and you might see a few world class players as well. 

10 hours ago, George Parr said:

Agreed. The first week or two of the tournament were terrific but after that things stalled a little.

I'm quite happy for the occasional distraction from club football and the international windows provide that. Also the opportunity for emotional investment alongside tens of thousands of fans as opposed to just a few hundred at the Rock - and you might see a few world class players as well. 

A Euros or World Cup during the off season is tremendous. Don’t listen to @Sweet Pete he’s just trying to be edgy and cool.

39 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A Euros or World Cup during the off season is tremendous. Don’t listen to @Sweet Pete he’s just trying to be edgy and cool.

You know what they say about opinions...

And I don't have to try to be cool.

23 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I thought he was getting absolutely roasted by Robertson until Shiels moved out there. I don't want to write him off quite yet but I'm not sure he's a left back, anyone who can change direction quickly seems to give him a torrid time. Seemed a bit more comfortable at centre back yesterday. 

welcome to the world of Cammy Clark.

you've pretty much summed it up. he's fine until someone with a quick turn or change of pace has a decent amount of space to use. i thought that he might be slightly less exposed in your system. if he had even a little bit of pace, he'd be playing at a higher level as is his instincts are usually quite decent both defensively and offensively.

he's pretty decent in the air though and i always wondered whether he could play centre half. 

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I’ll be honest, I don’t think I’ve ever saw Clarke have a good game against us. Kalvin Orsi absolutely rinsed him in the playoff games. A really bizarre signing for us IMO and a player I really don’t rate.

I was also somewhat surprised when we signed him. Not a player I rate particularly highly nor a position we really needed cover for. Although it does fit SF's pattern of 'only ever have 2 proper centre backs and then a handful of other players who can do a job there' style.

It's too early to draw conclusions on Cammy Clark, and after a rocky opening twenty minutes on Saturday I thought he did OK at left centre-back.  His distribution was also pretty decent, and it wouldn't be the worst option to have a naturally left-sided player alongside Durnan.

I'd have Miller ahead of Clark as Durnans partner at the moment but we absolutely need another body in there before league duty. I reckon Faz will go with what we've got and hope a Newbury or a Lennon comes available on loan.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I'd have Miller ahead of Clark as Durnans partner at the moment but we absolutely need another body in there before league duty. I reckon Faz will go with what we've got and hope a Newbury or a Lennon comes available on loan.

Another striker is also needed i would say.Really a squad of 22 would be ideal ,maybe with our cut off the Aberdeen gate that might give us cash for an extra player or so.

22 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Another striker is also needed i would say.Really a squad of 22 would be ideal ,maybe with our cut off the Aberdeen gate that might give us cash for an extra player or so.

We'll definitely get another forward option in. I highly doubt we have enough for 22 players though. CB, Striker and Panos Grivas filling the bench when required will be what we go with I think. 

I was looking at the teams last time we played QoS at Palmerston. It was a 0-0 draw in January 2018 and their strikeforce was Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes and Chris Kane. The stuff that dreams are made of right there.

56 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was looking at the teams last time we played QoS at Palmerston. It was a 0-0 draw in January 2018 and their strikeforce was Stephen Dobbie, Lyndon Dykes and Chris Kane. The stuff that dreams are made of right there.

And we didn't score! Derek Lyle was on the bench too. Oh for any of those four right now.

The team that day also included Shaun Rooney (subsequently scorer of winner in both Cups in one season with St Johnstone) and Jason Kerr (surely a future Scotland international if injury allows)

1 hour ago, Jan Vojáček said:

"Plus ca change" as the French would say ... we still can't score, as you may well find out tonight ... 😐

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

"Plus ca change" as the French would say ... we still can't score, as you may well find out tonight ... 😐

Our record at Palmerston is pretty woeful AFAIR .I would be surprised if you didnt find your scoring streak tonight.Good manager and a decent squad you have built.I'd expect you to be pushing for top 4.

26 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Our record at Palmerston is pretty woeful AFAIR .I would be surprised if you didnt find your scoring streak tonight.Good manager and a decent squad you have built.I'd expect you to be pushing for top 4.

Your comparatively recent record at Palmerston isn't very good (although you won 2-1 on both visits in 2016/17). In your last 16 visits we've won 11 of them, there's been 2 draws and you've won three, including both those 16/17 games. That goes back to 1994 because we've not actually met that often in recent years.

You did win 12 of the previous 18 visits between 1971 and 1994 though.

If you want cause for optimism we've only won once in your last 4 visits.

Was out a wee wander yesterday and took a bimble past the stadium. I couldn’t believe how tired the general area around the ground was looking. A sea of shoulder high weeds and litter with parts of the car park starting to look abandoned. It would be nice to see the place tidied up a bit but I suspect that wont happen until we have someone willing to invest some money into the ground. 

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was at that game. Only time I’ve been to Palmerston. IIRC it wasn’t a very good game. I also think we we’d have been quite confident of avoiding the relegation play-off at that time.

Looks like they also had Chris Kane that day?!

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And we didn't score! Derek Lyle was on the bench too. Oh for any of those four right now.

The team that day also included Shaun Rooney (subsequently scorer of winner in both Cups in one season with St Johnstone) and Jason Kerr (surely a future Scotland international if injury allows)

I take it there’s no stream for tonight’s game?

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

It's the area where I'm most concerned. We have created chances but we don't look very threatening tbh. McIntosh hasn't looked remotely like scoring yet (I don't think he's even had a shot on target yet). Hopefully the boy on loan can bag us a few. If we don't bring in someone likely to score we won't be challenging for the title. 

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I take it there’s no stream for tonight’s game?

No. Hasn't been for years now tbh.