Sons' sorrow

48 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I was not expecting us to sign a striker who made his English Premier League debut against Chelsea and then followed it up by playing against Man City the following week. Fair play :lol:

5 goals in 5 starts and 7 sub appearances for Queens last season isn't a bad return either. 

Yeah decent signing. Surprised he's stayed in Scotland and gone part time. Job with C&G?

Hamilton fans will tell you he's the worst striker they've ever seen but he did ok for us. Big powerful unit with pace. Not maybe a completely natural finisher, he wont get you 20 a season, but he got a few for us, including two cracking finishes in the last game of the season. I'd probably have taken him back.

He certainly did better for us than Michael Ruth did but as previously noted Michael never got a decent run of games.

For those of us that remember the old Um Bongo adverts, according to Wikipedia Joel is in fact of Congolese descent. Probably best not to use it as a chant, all the same.

Edited by GordyBrow

Looks like a unit Mr Mumbongo perhaps in the mould of Nade.Really hope he makes a go of it for us like some of our previous strikers of African/Caribbean descent.Notably Nade, Isaac Layne ( who was exceptional but injuries affected his short season with us) and of course Emeka Obidile who was simply outstanding.

Very warm welcome to the Rock Joel!!!

1 hour ago, lorenzo71 said:

Looks like a unit Mr Mumbongo perhaps in the mould of Nade.Really hope he makes a go of it for us like some of our previous strikers of African/Caribbean descent.Notably Nade, Isaac Layne ( who was exceptional but injuries affected his short season with us) and of course Emeka Obidile who was simply outstanding.

Very warm welcome to the Rock Joel!!!

You forgot the best of the lot - Boris Melingui.  

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

You forgot the best of the lot - Boris Melingui.  

......and the one that got away ...the wonderfully named Emmanuel Panther (played a bounce game for us about 2006 IIRC).Would Armand One count?😀 Given he has been a signing rumour for the last 21 years.

The consensus from Tranmere fans on twitter of our new centre forward has been hilariously negative. Lots of "worst player I've seen in 40 years of match going" etc. Should be a laugh either way.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

The consensus from Tranmere fans on twitter of our new centre forward has been hilariously negative. Lots of "worst player I've seen in 40 years of match going" etc. Should be a laugh either way.

Hamilton fans saying similar on their thread. We can only hope he turns out to be the second coming of Jim Lister. 

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hamilton fans saying similar on their thread. We can only hope he turns out to be the second coming of Jim Lister. 

Aye, we've had plenty of strikers who've come here with something of a reputation only to bomb - Calum Campbell, Steven Craig, Eddie Annand, Isaac English and Dennis Wyness - and a few youngsters who showed not very much and went on to bigger things - Ross McRorie, Kevin Nisbet and Eamon Brophy, so let's give the boy a chance.

4 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

He was OK for us. That probably reflects how utterly shite we were though.

Have spoken to a number of Queens fans re Joel.

General consensus is that he's powerful, pacy and puts himself about.  Also a decent target man who can hold up the ball well. 

A bit less enthusiastic about his finishing skills despite his 5 goals in 12 games for them.

However most of them would have been ok with retaining him. So there you go.

I'd love to see him paired up front with Mikey Ruth but realistically that could only happen when we're three down. 

Certainly gives us a very different option up top and could well be a real benefactor from an in form Kalvin Orsi. 

We can but dream.....

We’ve been pretty decent here! Tempting me to book a ridiculously convoluted Inverness trip.

I’d say it’s easily the most dangerous we’ve looked in any of the games against them in recent times and other than loads of corners and a Lynas clearance off the line, Aberdeen haven’t looked great.

Edited by FifeSons

7 hours ago, southernboy said:

Have spoken to a number of Queens fans re Joel.

General consensus is that he's powerful, pacy and puts himself about.  Also a decent target man who can hold up the ball well. 

Must have missed those games. I think Distant Doonhamer summed it up pretty well. He only looked good for us* because everyone else was pretty shit. 

*Apparently. 

47 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

We’ve been pretty decent here! Tempting me to book a ridiculously convoluted Inverness trip.

I’d say it’s easily the most dangerous we’ve looked in any of the games against them in recent times and other than loads of corners and a Lynas clearance off the line, Aberdeen haven’t looked great.

That lasted well, all of three second-half minutes.