Sons' sorrow

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4475

I am over the moon about Scott Smith signing up. Real quality signing and undoubtedly the best left-back we've had for a good while.

He's versatile, composed, reads the game well and generally performs with assuredness and maturity beyond his years - he looks like captaincy material to me. Congrats to the management for this fantastic signing. I'm delighted.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4475

I am over the moon about Scott Smith signing up. Real quality signing and undoubtedly the best left-back we've had for a good while.

He's versatile, composed, reads the game well and generally performs with assuredness and maturity beyond his years - he looks like captaincy material to me. Congrats to the management for this fantastic signing. I'm delighted.

I agree with everything you've said, apart from the captaincy material bit. He does go mental at linesmen and refs quite a bit, and also at team mates if he doesn't get passed to.

Very solid defender, puts a lot of balls in the box, finds space to look for passes very well and is very versitile. Great signing.

We now need to get, two keepers, Lithgow, Graham, a right back, Turner, a centre mid, a winger and a striker, or two. Maybe another defender as well.

keeper

RB CB CB Smith

Gils Aggy CM McDougall

Fleming ST

Edited by bigmacDFC

Delighted with who we have signed up so far, especially Smith. Thought he was brilliant for us last season. Would love to see McGinn back as well but like others have said, I think that is doubtful. He could definitely play at a higher level.

I agree with everythong you've said, apart from the captaincy material bit. He does go metal at linemen and refs quite a bit, and also at team mates if he doesn't get passed to.

Very solid defender, puts a lot of balls in the box, finds space to look for passes very well and is very versitile. Great signing.

We now need to get, two keepers, Lithgow, Graham, a right back, Turner, a centre mid, a winger and a striker, or two. Maybe another defender as well.

keeper

RB CB CB Smith

Gils Aggy CM McDougall

Fleming ST

Prunty still only sub material?

Not slagging your selection, just debating.

Prunty still only sub material?

Not slagging your selection, just debating.

I think so. I felt last year that Fleming and Lister were our best front pair and whilst Bryan did very well when he played I think we should be looking to have Fleming with a new striker. This isn't meant as a slight on Prunty but I think if we are to stay up next year we will need better than him in the starting 11, the league will be stronger next year. Having Prunty as back up is fine with me.

I think so. I felt last year that Fleming and Lister were our best front pair and whilst Bryan did very well when he played I think we should be looking to have Fleming with a new striker. This isn't meant as a slight on Prunty but I think if we are to stay up next year we will need better than him in the starting 11, the league will be stronger next year. Having Prunty as back up is fine with me.

I agree.

Prunty is very good back up, but we should be looking to, if possible, improve the team from last season. Prunty wouldn't have been in our strongest XI last season, therefore we should be looking to bring in a better striker, hopefully a pacey one.

Delighted Smith has signed up, was excellent for us last season and hopefully he can build on that again this season.

I notice Chris Turner has said he just passed a course to become a personal trainer so hopefully that means he's secured work outside of football and can stay on with us as well, fingers crossed!

Delighted Smith has signed up, was excellent for us last season and hopefully he can build on that again this season.

I notice Chris Turner has said he just passed a course to become a personal trainer so hopefully that means he's secured work outside of football and can stay on with us as well, fingers crossed!

That would be absolutely amazing if Chris is looking to stay with us. I was already consigned to losing him to a full-time team but if he's looking for work outside of football that could be good for us.

Smith's signing is a real coup and it would be the exact same if we managed to secure Turner.

Like others I think McGinn will be be moving upwards. How long is his remaining contract with St Mirren? I'd love a season-long loan but that's being overly optimistic.

As much as we should be looking to improve the squad, and not look at Prunty as an automatic pick, we could do worse. He's experienced and savvy and scored a very respectable number of goals last season, especially considering the amount of appearances he made from the bench.

Lister's departure aside (which I'm over already since we got Smith), we've made an excellent start to the close season. There's no doubt that the management team are swaying players to sign up who would otherwise be courting moves elsewhere.

Anyone with a decent job who stays near Glasgow would be daft not to sign for the Sons right now.

Edited by donald

Great news this week with Prunty and Smith signing for next season.

Prunty scored a good number of goals last season and he's a great option to have. Seems to be a great guy to have in and around the team as well.

Bringing Smith in on a permanent deal should be seen as a real coup for us. He was one of our most consistently impressive performers last season, and I'm surprised yet delighted that he didn't get an offer from a full-time First Division side and he's opted to sign for us.

We've made a very solid start to the close season, and as others have said, would be even better if we can add Graham, Lithgow and Turner to our squad for next season too.