Sons' sorrow

McGinn is a absolutely fantastic signing.

His assists and goals will be vital, as well as his solid defensive performances. Him and Gils seem to have a great partnership on the right wing, I hope that continues.

I actually can't remember the last right back to score for us.

I think Gordon Lennon scored a raker against Berwick whilst playing right back.

McGinn is a absolutely fantastic signing.

His assists and goals will be vital, as well as his solid defensive performances. Him and Gils seem to have a great partnership on the right wing, I hope that continues.

I actually can't remember the last right back to score for us.

Alan Kay.

I reckon we're a good striker and a centre half, preferably Lithgow, away from a very decent starting XI.

.......Grindlay/Keeper

McGinn Graham CB Smith

Gils Turner Aggy McDougall

......... Fleming ST

We then need another keeper, 1/2 more defender(s), 1 or 2 wingers, a couple of centre mids and another striker. Won't all happen though.

I reckon we're a good striker and a centre half, preferably Lithgow, away from a very decent starting XI.

.......Grindlay/Keeper

McGinn Graham CB Smith

......... Fleming ST

We then need another keeper, 1/2 more defender(s), 1 or 2 wingers, a couple of centre mids and another striker. Won't all happen though.

While that looks a decent team on paper do you think the the balance of the team is totally off. That midfield would offer little protection to the back four. A risk.

While that looks a decent team on paper do you think the the balance of the team is totally off. That midfield would offer little protection to the back four. A risk.

That's the midfield we had last season. And yes, it didn't offer much protection to the defence. Still, scoring / conceding three goals a game is never dull.

.......Grindlay/Keeper

McGinn Graham CB Smith

......... Fleming ST

I would agree with you but I think Murray is going to play a different formation this year. People thought we were playing 4-5-1 last year with Lister as the striker but in reality it was 4-4-2. I think we could see another deep lying midfielder come in to protect the back 4 along with Turner, so more of a 4-2-3-1. Of course this is just my opinion but I wouldn't be against it. Something needs to be done to stop us conceding so many goals. Lithgow seems to be doing his usual holding out for a full-time deal but I imagine Murray will have set a deadline for him to sign up before he starts looking elsewhere. In my opinion, we've already got our best centre half signed up so wouldn't be fussed if Lithgow went elsewhere.

No.

Turner is brilliant at protecting the back 4, covers/ fills in for the centre backs and loves to tackle, Aggy has recently grown some baws, the wingers, especially Gils, have been tracking back loads, and really putting in a shift defensively under Murray.

I would agree with you but I think Murray is going to play a different formation this year. People thought we were playing 4-5-1 last year with Lister as the striker but in reality it was 4-4-2. I think we could see another deep lying midfielder come in to protect the back 4 along with Turner, so more of a 4-2-3-1. Of course this is just my opinion but I wouldn't be against it. Something needs to be done to stop us conceding so many goals. Lithgow seems to be doing his usual holding out for a full-time deal but I imagine Murray will have set a deadline for him to sign up before he starts looking elsewhere. In my opinion, we've already got our best centre half signed up so wouldn't be fussed if Lithgow went elsewhere.

Murray has already said he'll play 4-4-2 and go out to try and win games.

Halfway to two thirds thro last season I would probably have agreed with you that there was a preponderance of fart-arsers in there. However, as has already been stated, there was much more appetite for the sleeves-up stuff about most of these guys from Xmas onwards.

And allow us to bask in the observation that a Dumbarton team may have too much football about it - quality !!

.......Grindlay/Keeper

McGinn Graham CB Smith

......... Fleming ST

Apparently Big Lithgae is a doubt to re-sign. A possible factor is that neither he nor Murray were particularly happy with each other when he was relegated to the bench for a couple of games towards the end of last season.

McGinn is a great bit of business by Dumbarton. Wouldn't have minded seeing him at Firhill but he'd have been behind O'Donnell initially and the whole reason he left St Mirren was for first team football.

I appreciate that the Dumbarton fans are happy with the midfield pairing of Turner and Agnew but I really can't comprehend why any First Division team wouldn't want Martin Hardie. His legs may have gone but no more so than they were in the season just past where he was pivotal for Morton; this is ignoring the fact that his game was never based on any sort of pace anyway. He has a winning mentality, can still score important goals and I reckon he'd be a fantastic signing for Dumbarton.

Edited by Armand 2

McGinn is a great bit of business by Dumbarton. Wouldn't have minded seeing him at Firhill but he'd have been behind O'Donnell initially and the whole reason he left St Mirren was for first team football. 

I appreciate that the Dumbarton fans are happy with the midfield pairing of Turner and Agnew but I really can't comprehend why any First Division team wouldn't want Martin Hardie. His legs may have gone but no more so than they were in the season just past where he was pivotal for Morton; this is ignoring the fact that his game was never based on any sort of pace anyway. He has a winning mentality, can still score important goals and I reckon he'd be a fantastic signing for Dumbarton.

I'd like to see us sign Hardie,an experienced head in midfield is always useful and it would stop him scoring against us! Which he managed 3 times last season. He would probably only be back up to Aggy and CT but I can't think of many better back up free agent centre MIDs.