Sons' sorrow

We were talking about Aggie's free-kicks the other day, was the last one he's scored for us the one that clinched a 3-3 (I think) draw at Brechin? If so, that would have been about 3/4 years ago? Amazing really, when he first came into the team he was pinging them in from all angles.

We were talking about Aggie's free-kicks the other day, was the last one he's scored for us the one that clinched a 3-3 (I think) draw at Brechin? If so, that would have been about 3/4 years ago? Amazing really, when he first came into the team he was pinging them in from all angles.

He did score one against Hamilton last season although it was from way out wide and Cuthbert should've saved it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27085230

Also scored a more trademark one against Queens Park in a friendly at the start of last season, that's the last proper one since Brechin in a 2-2 draw 2012 (the 3-3 game was also rescued by an Aggie FK but it was in August 2011)

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

one of the best spells we had, was when we had Murray sitting alongside turner, with aggy a bit further forward.

Yes,he got injured, and he's never had a run in the team since, whereas aggy never reached his highs of performance last season either after his injury but has appearances to his name, and both have had a full preseason, so yeah I think both will improve, if given game time, though I would like aggy to start scoring free kicks again

The best spell we had was from Xmas to the Aberdeen game, Murray couldn't get in the team due to form of turner and kirky.

Before this period we only won 3 games with Murray in from the start, and in one of them (livi) he was garbage and rightfully subbed

The best spell we had was from Xmas to the Aberdeen game, Murray couldn't get in the team due to form of turner and kirky.

Before this period we only won 3 games with Murray in from the start, and in one of them (livi) he was garbage and rightfully subbed

Grindlay was in goal for that good run....... :rolleyes:

Speaking of Grindlay, I was surprised not to see him go out on loan. Would be surprised if he was happy being 3rd choice 'keeper as he seems to be, he wasn't even in the squad for the Rangers or Livi games was he? Didn't see him out on the pitch.

Think Grindlay just wants to play for Dumbarton to be honest. Spoke to him at the end of season bash and he said he wanted to stay at Dumbarton as long as the gaffer would have him. He is a bit older, but many goalkeepers play on til 40 these days and he could definitely do a job for a team in the league below us.

The squad is fine as is. Aside from Paul this is effectively the same squad that pushed for a playoff spot last year. In theory we should be fine this time round as well.

Well, that statement certainly reads a bit better since last Friday morning with the loan signing of Kane. Mikey Miller was part of the squad in the last third of last season and he's moved on. As has Jack Ross. And I don't think last term's performance can be any great barometer given the calibre of teams this time, but like you I really do hope we're fine.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Clamped? Naming 20 or so very successful keepers who played into their 40s :lol: totally the same thing. You could rattle off outfield players who played to their late 30s but it doesn't mean 'many players play on to their late 30s these days'. Ludicrous argument.

It's a rarity for a keeper who has spent his whole career part time in Scotland to continue to do so until he is 40. Very rare. Most will drop into the juniors.

Clamped? Naming 20 or so very successful keepers who played into their 40s :lol: totally the same thing. You could rattle off outfield players who played to their late 30s but it doesn't mean 'many players play on to their late 30s these days'. Ludicrous argument.

It's a rarity for a keeper who has spent his whole career part time in Scotland to continue to do so until he is 40. Very rare. Most will drop into the juniors.

Have you tried a hobby? Crochet perhaps?

Name some of these 'many' goalkeepers that play until they are 40?

Just saw this and think plenty have been mentioned - all of those doing so at a higher level. I wasn't saying all keepers will play til they are 40. But the point i was making was that Grindlay is only in his early 30s (32ish??) and is capable of playing professional football for another few years.

Edited by squeezebox-son