Sons' sorrow

Looks like no further movement on the player front which I find disappointing. The midfield badly needs shoring up, and it looks like we're stuck with a couple of bench-warmers. Or just warmers.

Wouldn't say we need midfielders badly. Maybe a right winger would be nice but we managed last season without too much cover there (McDougall aside). Defensively we look pretty bare at the moment, with Linton playing RB on Saturday showing. Also think if any of our strikers get injured we would be quite bare.

You guys surely can't be serious here? We have a 24 man squad with at least 2 players that can play every position now. Linton going to right back on Saturday is an extreme case, Taggart and DVZ were both already on the pitch due to injuries to Mair & McLaughlin so when DVZ had to come off we were going to have to shoe-horn someone in somewhere, Murray had MacDonald to come on and Linton is a clever enough player to fill in at right back for a time. Up front we've got Nish, Campbell, Kane & Fleming. If we're struck with injuries there then we can play Megginson up there, even MacDougall if we're really struggling. Midfield, you've got Turner, Agnew, Kirkpatrick & Murray all able to fill the centre midfield roles and whilst it may be evident that they don't offer up much protection to our defence, do we really need a 5th centre midfielder to be there just in case? Not to mention our 3 fucking goalkeepers.

The size and quality of the squad is the better than anything I've seen down at the Rock. If we were signing any more players I'd be seriously questioning where we're getting the money from.

You guys surely can't be serious here? We have a 24 man squad with at least 2 players that can play every position now. Linton going to right back on Saturday is an extreme case, Taggart and DVZ were both already on the pitch due to injuries to Mair & McLaughlin so when DVZ had to come off we were going to have to shoe-horn someone in somewhere, Murray had MacDonald to come on and Linton is a clever enough player to fill in at right back for a time. Up front we've got Nish, Campbell, Kane & Fleming. If we're struck with injuries there then we can play Megginson up there, even MacDougall if we're really struggling. Midfield, you've got Turner, Agnew, Kirkpatrick & Murray all able to fill the centre midfield roles and whilst it may be evident that they don't offer up much protection to our defence, do we really need a 5th centre midfielder to be there just in case? Not to mention our 3 fucking goalkeepers.

The size and quality of the squad is the better than anything I've seen down at the Rock. If we were signing any more players I'd be seriously questioning where we're getting the money from.

If you read my first post from yesterday, I said that all I might have expected was a short term loanee as defensive cover - dependant on how Mair, McLaughlin and DVZ are feeling. Linton coped okay against Livingston at RB but don't think it would be Murray's choice if he had an option. I did say we could bring in a CB and move Taggart, but I quite like the look of him partnering Graham in the middle. So I wasn't expecting any signings. Definitely not any midfield ones!

spot on, my thoughts exactly, if we were to look for anyone else, I'd maybe try and find a real hard man centre mid, but I still think shug can do that if called upon

If you read my first post from yesterday, I said that all I might have expected was a short term loanee as defensive cover - dependant on how Mair, McLaughlin and DVZ are feeling. Linton coped okay against Livingston at RB but don't think it would be Murray's choice if he had an option. I did say we could bring in a CB and move Taggart, but I quite like the look of him partnering Graham in the middle. So I wasn't expecting any signings. Definitely not any midfield ones!

Fair enough, if we hadn't sent Coleman out on loan he could be the emergency defensive cover but I assume we've had to get him out on loan to allow for the Kane deal.

Fair enough, if we hadn't sent Coleman out on loan he could be the emergency defensive cover but I assume we've had to get him out on loan to allow for the Kane deal.

Interesting one with Joe. Is he the only youth player we have any plan of getting near the first team? Ally has disappeared completely and is only there to play for the u20s, as is the majority of youth we have signed up. But with Joe going out on loan, I thought we may have tried to find him a 2nd or 3rd division side. That way he would be making progress so to speak. He is going to learn but I thought we may have tried to get him playing at a higher level. Edited by squeezebox-son

Interesting one with Joe. Is he the only youth player we have any plan of getting near the first team? Ally has disappeared completely and is only there to play for the u20s, as is the majority of youth we have signed up. But with Joe going out on loan, I thought we may have tried to find him a 2nd or 3rd division side. That way he would be making progress so to speak. He is going to learn but I thought we may have tried to get him playing at a higher level.

I would have preferred Joe went to a higher level than Kilbirnie this year but he's still only 18 (or is he 19 now?) so another year there won't do him any harm. He seems to enjoy playing for Kilbirnie so it suits everyone really.

As for McKerracher, who knows. To be honest, I'd rather see him on the bench than MacDougall. Steg gets used so sparingly that I'd rather that game time was given to Ally. Do we really think he'd offer us less than MacDougall does currently? Either that or get him out on loan and playing, U20 football will do him no good, IMO.

• spot on, my thoughts exactly, if we were to look for anyone else, I'd maybe try and find a real hard man centre mid, but I still think shug can do that if called upon

You are really living up to your name with than one; Murray limped out of last season and isn't likely to hit the ground running in this one. The point about the midfield is not just signing more players but better ones, and if that means showing Murray, McDougall and one of the keepers the door to finance them then I'm absolutely fine with that - they should not have been retained in the first place.

Ask yourself this; if CT gets crocked or suspended who have we got with any dig in midfield ? Teams are passing the ball thro us at will with him in the side FFS ! Let's not allow a very decent Kane-inspired second-half against Livi to blind us to some very real concerns.

You are really living up to your name with than one; Murray limped out of last season and isn't likely to hit the ground running in this one. The point about the midfield is not just signing more players but better ones, and if that means showing Murray, McDougall and one of the keepers the door to finance them then I'm absolutely fine with that - they should not have been retained in the first place.

Ask yourself this; if CT gets crocked or suspended who have we got with any dig in midfield ? Teams are passing the ball thro us at will with him in the side FFS ! Let's not allow a very decent Kane-inspired second-half against Livi to blind us to some very real concerns.

There is some merit in this post. Prunty was a very popular player and a proven goalscorer, but he was jettisoned and allowed to cancel his new contract in order that we could replace him with a younger player who made an impact for us last season. If the option was available to cancel the contracts of guys like you mention and use the funds to improve the squad with their replacement, then I wouldn't onject. Though, let's not forget that Taggart is apparently a decent centre midfielder when called upon, though we have signed him as a right back / centre half, so we do have options if we pick up injuries, which is better than the position we found ourselves in last season with a very thin squad. We also have McCallum, McKerracher and Coleman (once he returns from his loan) to shore up the first team if we need to. Whichever way you look at it, we definitely have more numbers than last season and more quality than we have had in the past.

I suppose it all comes down to what our squad players offer us.

Can we rely on Mclaughlin to offer cover? If he's not playing then is he going to be reliable when called on? Same goes for Shug Murray. Both are in the late stages of their careers (38 and 35) and might struggle to get up to game speed if called on at short notice. McDougall gives us absolutely nothing - plenty of ability but a lack of any kind of desire to use it.

Have to disagree that the 2nd half Livi performance was a one off performance. I think it's more a case of certain vital players performing better.

Not sure if you were at the cup game last midweek, but we performed very well then and ran out of steam in the end. Playing 4-4-2 suits us perfectly and bringing Kane in will most likely mean we will do so in most matches from now.

Teams may have been walking through our midfield thus far but I think this was more to do with CT not performing well. Saturday (particularly the 2nd half) is the best I have seen him play in months. We don't need any other central midfielders.

It's all very well saying "not more players but better ones" but who at this stage in the season is readily available and better than the ones we've got? There's very little about just now with every team scrambling for players, I for one am glad that we didn't have any of that this year. It's also very well saying "move player x, y and z on to make room for a new player" but these guys have contracts and unless someone wants them then I'm afraid we're stuck with them. I wouldn't be against it if there was a better player available but the squad we have now is completely fine for what we need to achieve this year and the fact someone was disappointed that we didn't have a better squad suggests that perhaps the achievements of last year have gone to some heads.

one of the best spells we had, was when we had Murray sitting alongside turner, with aggy a bit further forward.

Yes,he got injured, and he's never had a run in the team since, whereas aggy never reached his highs of performance last season either after his injury but has appearances to his name, and both have had a full preseason, so yeah I think both will improve, if given game time, though I would like aggy to start scoring free kicks again