Sons' sorrow

Some journo indeed, that should be 'their' clubs. Anyway Brophy will certainly have been one target but with Alex Neill leaving, Accies may wish to hold what players they have in any case. We definitely do need people in though as the squad is a bit bare, but my worry is that Ian Murray may not have as many contacts in the game as we would like.

Thanks for your help, I won't hack your phone :P

*Neil

So, what happens now ? Does Brabco for once dip it's hand into it's pocket to enable Ian Murray to beef up the squad and try and stay in the division, or do we make a couple of Owen Ronald-type additions between now and the end of the January window and hope to scrape enough points from our peer clubs to survive ?

Discuss.

i see from the OS that noth McCallum and Whitefield have been handed squad numbers for rest of the season

not sure if we should read anything into this. Does this indicate there may be no more signings / loan deals?

have we overspent in the 1st half of the season, and now have to trim the squad, albeit Murray was getting nowhere near team, and McDougall was obviously looking to have more game time before he emigrated

So, what happens now ? Does Brabco for once dip it's hand into it's pocket to enable Ian Murray to beef up the squad and try and stay in the division, or do we make a couple of Owen Ronald-type additions between now and the end of the January window and hope to scrape enough points from our peer clubs to survive ?

Discuss.

Neither.

We sign a good quality striker on loan and look for another loanee who can play wide as a Shagger replacement. Lots of good young strikers who could come in and do a job.

I'd say they are our 2 priority positions along with possible full back cover. With Taggart being able to cover in centre mid I highly doubt we will see any additions in that area.

Discuss.

Brabco (the folk with ties to the club that go back 70 years, apparently) won't spend a penny on us (:lol:) so it's down to who Murray can find. There seems to be a few young players that will be worth a punt but I doubt we'll be the only ones looking at them. I suspect some more pressure will be on Garry Fleming to score the goals we need, even if we do bring in another striker.

Discuss.

i see from the OS that both McCallum and Whitefield have been handed squad numbers for rest of the season

not sure if we should read anything into this. Does this indicate there may be no more signings / loan deals?

have we overspent in the 1st half of the season, and now have to trim the squad, albeit Murray was getting nowhere near team, and McDougall was obviously looking to have more game time before he emigrated

To be honest I'd rather we tried to promote youth players like McCallum (who looked excellent in pre-season) than signed some of the free agents that crop up this month. Look at a few of our recent January signings; Ronald was completely out of his depth, Phinn spent near enough his entire time with us injured and Robbie Winters was (I'm sure) in his mid 50s when he joined. For every Ching there's a Phinn (catchy)

A couple of quality loan additions- like Mikey Miller & Kane last year- and we'll be doing fine. There's no point bringing in lots of new players just for the sake of it.

Who was our last youth player to properly break into the side and get a good run in the team? The last I can think of is Nicky Devlin way, way back in 2010. McNiff just before him became a 'first teamer' as well but I can't think of anybody else recently.

Tony Wallace maybe, but he really spent most of his time on the bench (as understudy the 'The N-Word') and got his move based on playing the best games of his life live on TV.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Who was our last youth player to properly break into the side and get a good run in the team? The last I can think of is Nicky Devlin way, way back in 2010. McNiff just before him became a 'first teamer' as well but I can't think of anybody else recently.

Tony Wallace maybe, but he really spent most of his time on the bench (as understudy the 'The N-Word') and got his move based on playing the best games of his life live on TV.

I agree that I'd like to see more youth players coming through. I did hear though (and I don't know how much truth is in this) that if we were in League 1 a few of the boys (Coleman/McCallum/McKerracher) would have been more involved but Muzz doesn't think they're up to the Championship. The fact that Coleman and McKerracher are/were our brightest talents and one's been sent on loan whilst the other was released would suggest there may be some truth in that rumour. Hopefully, if all goes to plan and we get ourselves safe with a few games to spare we can start to bring boys like McCallum on and give them the experience we need, sometimes I think it can be counter-productive to throw in a young guy when the team isn't playing that well and needing points.

EDIT - On a unrelated note, I founded the Bring Back Axel Club today. Ian Murray has been emailed with AC Oulu's contact details and information on the welcome pack I have ready for him. I expect the deal to be done in the next few days. I'm sure you'll all agree that he's what we've been missing in midfield this year. If anyone would like to join the campaign, please comment below.

Edited by The Moonster

It would be good for McCallum and Whitefield if they were given a fair chance. Ally McKerracher wasn't. Highly rated, therefore offered a first team contract, but then...a season on the bench and a short loan deal. What's the point of Dumbarton FC's youth development initiative if home grown recognised talent is continually overlooked? All the best to Joe Coleman for the future.

It would be good for McCallum and Whitefield if they were given a fair chance. Ally McKerracher wasn't. Highly rated, therefore offered a first team contract, but then...a season on the bench and a short loan deal. What's the point of Dumbarton FC's youth development initiative if home grown recognised talent is continually overlooked? All the best to Joe Coleman for the future.

^

Clearly someone's beelin da.

If they are good enough they will get a chance. We are playing in the Championship, not League 2, we can ill afford to fling youngsters in who aren't good enough for this level.

The question I'm asking is why are we not producing players who are good enough for the first team? Surely we should be looking at how we are scouting/coaching because up until this point we have produced very little in the way of quality first team players.

As per my post above, if the management don't think they're good enough to play at this level it would be mental to throw them in. I do agree that we should use our youth system more but for it to be successful it needs proper funding and attention given to it, we could also do with appointing a coach who has a bit of experience rather than just appointing a first team striker we wanted to sign in order to "offset" his wage.

The flip side to that argument being that coming through the youth ranks shouldn't give you the right to a starting spot in the first team if better players can be brought in from out with the club. If they're good enough they will get the chance; you'd hope. Although we can all agree it'd be great to see some home grown talent breaking through and making a real impact on the first team.

FWIW I liked the look of McKerracher the few times I seen him play. Murray obviously didn't rate him. I think Joe Coleman could break through in the coming season but if not he'll need to look at a permanent move elsewhere for his own sake.

Where did McKerracher end up after leaving us? I tried looking in the past and couldn't really find much.

I'd have chucked him for being in the Oban Loyal Rangers Supporters Club if I'm honest.

It's a strange one, he gets handed a new professional deal and a few months later vanishes without a peep from the os.

Mind his maw used to post on here?

Here's what Chris Kane had to say to The Dumbarton Terrace after his departure from Sons: http://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/01/12/leaving-as-a-legend/

Well, he may be regarded as shy but I think he's just got his head screwed on. He knows his ability and knows he's got a lot of hard work ahead of him. How many of his goals came in the last 10 minutes for us? He often seemed to pop up with a late equaliser/winner. All the best to him and I'm sure he'll do well.