Sons' sorrow

Whilst I agree we could do with maybe two or three more in, where are they coming from? We have one loan left. Ideally had we extended MacDonalds he would've provided cover on the left side and we would have one loan left for a striker. Unless we come to an agreement with a club for them to release a player (or we sign a free agent, any good ones floating around in January? I'm not sure) then it looks to me like we have one signing coming. I think we'd all like a striker as would Murray. We'll see though.

The slight worry for me is that we only have 1 loan remaining (I think). Where I think we should be looking to bring in 2 or 3 players. We won't find many free agents who are going to make a massive difference to our first team so may find ourselves short for the remainder of the season. I hope I'm wrong, as I say it isn't a huge concern... yet.

ETA - basically the same as Moonster says above. He just beat me to it!

Edited by squeezeboxson

I'm assuming that with Murray's inside knowledge he doesn't think Riordan could do a job. I just think that if he had a chance and was even 70% of the player he was he'd be able to score goals in this league. Or maybe like O'Connor he's left his future behind him?

I'm assuming that with Murray's inside knowledge he doesn't think Riordan could do a job. I just think that if he had a chance and was even 70% of the player he was he'd be able to score goals in this league. Or maybe like O'Connor he's left his future behind him?

Riordan was completely finished when he left us two years ago. Didn't have the legs or physicality to really compete, lost any pace he once had and even his touch wasn't great.

You'd be well advised to steer clear of him.

Riordan was completely finished when he left us two years ago. Didn't have the legs or physicality to really compete, lost any pace he once had and even his touch wasn't great.

You'd be well advised to steer clear of him.

That explains Muzza's reluctance!

I'd hope Murray will be making moves soon. How many more players can we take on loan and how many woud need to be permanent signngs? Being realistic, we need to decide whether Megginson and Campbell are going to play as strikers or if we should move them on to help bring in a genuine wide man?

For me we could do with a centre half (maybe bring Joe back), at least another central midfielder and a natural wide midfielder. We have a good attaking midfielder/forward in Fleming but no real goalscorer. Nish isnt cutting it and offers us nothing.

Forget Riordan, he's done.

The conclusion of the transfer window coupled with a 'should-win' home match makes the next fortnight absolutely crucial. We could do without any injuries/mishaps in the meantime. And it's vital that Aggie remains fit, all of a sudden he's become one the most productive players in the team and certainly our no.1 option in (an admittedly sparse) midfield.

I think Riordan trained with Alloa for several weeks (maybe even months), in an effort to get fit, and once pitched into the team contributed very little. I imagine he's probably finished, like O'Connor. I'd rather see what McCallum had to offer than waste our time on him. I doubt he would be great for team morale either.

Forget Riordan, he's done.

The conclusion of the transfer window coupled with a 'should-win' home match makes the next fortnight absolutely crucial. We could do without any injuries/mishaps in the meantime. And it's vital that Aggie remains fit, all of a sudden he's become one the most productive players in the team and certainly our no.1 option in (an admittedly sparse) midfield.

Agree entirely, Riordan is a complete and utter red herring in all of this. And it is 'all of this', as unless we get a couple of bodies in soon we could be looking at a Hibs Mark 2 situation, eg looking reasonably OK early in the New Year before stepping onto a fast-moving downwards escalator.

We've got ourselves into a playing squad fankle which could all have been avoided had less haste and more diligence been shown in assembling the squad pre-season. As it is, we now have more backroom staff on the touchline than we have substitutes. Almost half of what's currently on the books are either keepers or centre-backs, and I'm getting this awful vibe that there's nothing currently in the pipeline.

Agree entirely, Riordan is a complete and utter red herring in all of this. And it is 'all of this', as unless we get a couple of bodies in soon we could be looking at a Hibs Mark 2 situation, eg looking reasonably OK early in the New Year before stepping onto a fast-moving downwards escalator.

We've got ourselves into a playing squad fankle which could all have been avoided had less haste and more diligence been shown in assembling the squad pre-season. As it is, we now have more backroom staff on the touchline than we have substitutes. Almost half of what's currently on the books are either keepers or centre-backs, and I'm getting this awful vibe that there's nothing currently in the pipeline.

Still, at least you're managing to stay positive, to your credit ;)

Regretfully there's not too much to be positive about right now, unless perhaps you have some uplifting news to impart ?

We're 7th in a league that contains Rangers, Hibs & Hearts, wheras a few years ago we were 8th in a league with Elgin, East Stirlingshire & Albion Rovers in it. That's pretty positive.

I have every confidence in Muzz, he said in Andy's article a while back that we had agreed deals to sign two strikers on loan but they then went and broke into their parent club's first-team (Brophy & Shankland) He knows that's an area that needs strengthening and I'm sure we'll get somebody in.

If we sign Riordan then we might as well chuck in Dennis Wyness too, he scored goals in the SPL in 2005...

Years ago we'd have signed any number of players, whereas Murray I think has enough savvy to check players out himself first, and not squandering another wage, I'll trust his judgement, winger I'd like, or a centre mid, good enough strikers if played up front more

Regretfully there's not too much to be positive about right now, unless perhaps you have some uplifting news to impart ?

Really?

We're sitting comfortably in 7th, with a nice cushion between us and the teams below us, in Scotland's second tier which includes Rangers, Hearts and Hibs. We have one of the best younng managers in the country who has yet to put a foot wrong at Dumbarton overall. We are playing at our highest level for about 3 decades.

Despite wee flaws about performances or wee flaws about certain personnel there is absolutely hee haw to be negative about. I too would like a more solid defense, I too would like a 30 a season striker who is our player and not on loan, I too would like a squad full of depth in every area of the pitch but the truth is we will never have all of that at once. If we did we'd be challenging Aberdeen for the Premier League title. We are a part time team with limited resources and we're coping admirably at this level and have been for almost 3 seasons now.

Have some faith man, overall we're in a very strong position to stay up (again) and I have every confidence Murray will have players lined up.

No thanks to Riordan.

Just a suggestion here but could it be that players like Brophy & Shankland (and maybe even Kane) are being looked over again by their respective managers, in a bid to see if they can be of use to them for the remainder of the season or whether going out on loan to a club in this division is the right thing to do?

I'm not sure I agree with the "not a lot to be positive about" just now assertion. I'm fairly positive that even at this current stage our squad is stronger than those below us. I'm fairly positive that in the next week and a half Murray will add to the squad. I'm fairly positive that we'll stay up this year. A disappointing result against Raith Rovers and some fringe players leaving hasn't really changed my outlook on our season.