Sons' sorrow

That display at Parkhead was quite astonishing given that it was in the dark days of Pat Cairney et al. Far better than our 4-0 capitulation a few years ago

The days of the balck and yellow vertical striped strips and Robert 'the crab' Docherty traversing the pitch about 50 times a game.

Pat Cairney's centre-half partner was Gary someone - Dickie perhaps?

Can remember Lawrie Williams, big Donald McNeil in defence, Graeme Sinclair, John & Derek Whiteford, Ian Wallace, Jumbo muir, John bourke etc. Most of all I recall having to cover my young ears because the crowd noise was so loud

Sneaking into the ground via the Pigeon Huts behind Boghead Avenue too.

I saw Hughie Gallacher play for the Sons. And Robertson, Govan and Jardine too. Not to mention Hugh Harra.

Please do not mention gary dickie. I Am still having nightmares about him and pat cairney. That whole era almost destroyed the dumbarton support. I hate to admit it but even. Chissie was a better player.

Oh I don't know, there were some laughs during that time......like Peter Wharton being announced at Hampden as 'T.Rialist', not to mention Geordie Elliott 'missing' the team bus to an Inverness Cup Tie on the Friday afternoon and arriving at the hotel hauf-smeeked on the Saturday morning.

And Iain McDougall and Davie 'Digger' Fulton were two of the best midfielders never to be remembered or mentioned since - until now.

I remember having a drink with Alex in the Horseshoe the night before we played a cup tie at Ibrox in the nineties. His enthusiasm had me utterly convinced we were going to win! And the fact that he could reel off the team that won the Festival of Britain quaich appealed to the anorak in me! Rest in peace big yin!

attachicon.gif [url="http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=at

Can anyone name them all? I recognise quit a few.

Back row: Gary Dickie, Owen Coyle, Andy Willock?, Hugh Stevenson, not sure, Ray Mongomerie

Middle row: Stuart McIver, Pat McGowan, John Mcquade, not sure, not sure, Robwrt Docherty, not sure

Front row: Bertie Auld, Craig Cranmer?, Steve McCahill, not sure, Stevie Gow, Bobby McCallum

A few guesses in there too

attachicon.gif [url="http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=at

Can anyone name them all? I recognise quit a few.

Back row: Gary Dickie, Owen Coyle, Andy Willock?, Hugh Stevenson, not sure, Ray Mongomerie

Middle row: Stuart McIver, Pat McGowan, John Mcquade, not sure, not sure, Robwrt Docherty, not sure

Front row: Bertie Auld, Craig Cranmer?, Steve McCahill, not sure, Stevie Gow, Bobby McCallum

A few guesses in there too%5B/quote]

I think the nightmare side was a year or so after this. Pat Cairney, Andy McQuaid (I seem to remember it was that spelling) Colin Spence (competition for the worst Colin ever to play up front for the Sons), Jim Hughes ( Christened 'Gypo' by the QP fans).

I think the nightmare side was a year or so after this. Pat Cairney, Andy McQuaid (I seem to remember it was that spelling) Colin Spence (competition for the worst Colin ever to play up front for the Sons), Jim Hughes ( Christened 'Gypo' by the QP fans).

I thought Jim Hughes was all right, could be relative to those he was playing beside right enough.

PS I never claimed that this was the nightmare side, it was just a pic I had with both McCahill and the strip in it. The Nightmare side was created by Jim George packing it out with players he knew from the Juniors that he was confident could easily make the 'step up', but actually couldn't.

Not that Bertie Auld's team was much better, to be fair. A player in that pic told me that none of the players had a clue what Bertie's methods and tactics were about, and they thought Bertie didn't really either.

Edited by Boghead ranter

Graham Duncan to the right of Hugh Stevenson?

Aye that team was far from the worst. John McQuade in particular was a player. It was a year or so later that things got really shitty.

Is anyone on here old enough to remember when our U-20's won a game ?

Was talking about this last night at the game. Bring back the glory days of Reece Pearson, Keiran Brannan, Ryan Metcalfe and Liam Mushet. I remember when that team finished pretty high in the old U19s league.

Mark Wotte (former SFA Development Chief) was on Radio Scotland last night saying many of our country's development coaches were obsessed with winning games. He strongly argues that development squads should be about individual performance and progress, not team success.

In the past, Scottish teams were relatively competitive at U16 to U21 level but failed to make the jump to full international success.

Maybe we shouldn't fret too much about our U20s win rate. Let's see if any INDIVIDUALS eventually make the grade.