Sons' sorrow

Easton,Petrie, Gilhaney and Agnew. Mark might have just had a bad end to the season and Aggie is so inconsistent. The other two are not even worth a mention.

Would rather give Mitch and Garry Fleming a role in midfield before Easton and petrie.

The brutal truth is that based on this season's evidence those six players fall short of what is required in midfield at Championship level. I can hardly recall a game in which we were able to string together a cohesive set of passes, look comfortable in possession or very importantly harry and close down the oppostion. When the 'real' CT plays that definitely makes a diference but that has been rarely this season.

That's not to say that each of these guys is a bad player, far from it, but it's a bit like the Bryan Prunty situation. Those who gaze wistfully from afar as he bangs in goals for Airdrie should realise that he was very unlikely to be doing that had he remained at Sons. He is now performing at his best level, and there IS a difference between the divisions.

There is a standard of player needed at this level and it id the job of Ian Murray and the Board to try and match it. The team badly needs freshening and some hard decisions will be required.

Edited by Frank Quitely

Andy Graham for my player of the year. Our midfield are so inconsistent Aggie never even entered the equation for my player of the year. I still support every player on the park and keep my complaints until after the game on the way home.

Our team needs us to support them every week for the full 90 minutes.

Can't say I agree that Agnew has been inconsistent or should be released. He got my vote for player of the year, easy.

Anyone who knows football can clearly see the job Agnew does in the middle of the park. He needs movement infront of him to be at his most effective. When Kane left we had absolutely nothing in the final third and it has continued throughout 2015. Archie Campbell chasing shadows before hoofin the ball into the Leven/Clyde is nae use for a creative midfielder. Agnew has adapted his game to incorporate the sheer pishness of our final third by playing sensible passes and keeping play ticking. He very rarely gives the ball away.

On another note I'm astounded people think Archie should be kept on. We need 3 new strikers.

I think Gary Fleming can work as a striker and midfield player although the amount of bookings for dissent is annoying. Mitch Megginson is well worth keeping for the same reasons. Archie Campbell is like a Jack Russell and just chases everything but not much outcome.

My comments about Mark Gilhaney and Scott Agnew are the same in that during my short time (end of third season as a season ticket holder) is simply they have had in my opinion the least productive season. Perhaps my first season they had Jim Lister and laterly Chris Kane to connect with in the attack. Easton and Petrie have not done it and Jordan Kirkpatrick who I have enjoyed watching when he was match fit for his first 18 months is the most productive midfield player. Chris Turner is great when on his game but sadly this year he has over committed on challenges, picked up an early booking that virtually ruled him out the game. I did like when we played with Hugh Murray as an experienced holding midfield player along with Turner that allowed players like Aggie and Gilhaney to use there preferred attacking option.

For me Andy Graham has been terrific in most games I have seen.

Completely disagree with those saying Agnew is below the standard of this level. Agnew is a different player now to the one that first joined us and he's made that change based on the quality of this league. He was a much more forward thinking player when he first came, had very little positional discipline and probably tried one too many speculative efforts. He's obviously not tough tackling but I do think that aspect of his game has improved in these last 2 years. He doesn't get forward enough but he's obviously been told to sit in there and I think he's adapted well.

CT is billed as the main man in midfield and whilst we need him to break up play/smash c***s, we need someone with Agnews passing ability in there next to him or it's worthless and I doubt you'll find many passers of the ball better than Agnew available for what we're able to pay.

Ok let me correct myself. I was asked who the lightweights are. I stand corrected by saying I would release either mark gilhaney or Aggie.

Apologies! In that case I agree, yes, we are far too lightweight and we have been for as long as I can remember. Maybe going back to '08 before we had some proper strength in the side.

Punt Gilhaney please, he is not up

To this level.

Plenty of others can queue up behind him!!!!

Hmm, it's mental how people can have complete opposite opinions.

If it were my choice I would keep him, you notice what he does more when he's not playing. I do think he needs to take his man on more 1 on 1, maybe that's something he can't do well.

He was excellent in the 0-1 game v Rangers in the cup and played well when put through the middle (falkirk and hearts away).

Who else would you punt???

Edited by Thommo90

Punt Gilhaney please, he is not up

To this level.

Plenty of others can queue up behind him!!!!

Disagree with this entirely. Gilhaney is an important player and should be retained along with Agnew. I'd like to keep Turner too but have a feeling he may be on his way. We do need to bring in a bit more strength to give us options, but there is no need to sacrifice all the creative midfielders.

Aggy's game has changed this season. We've previously looked at him as a player who attacks opponents but this season he's been used more defensively. It's a big change to his game and he's now reliant on those in front of him offering him an outlet to pass to but he's taken to his defensive duties well and his range of passing means he can still dictate a game from deeper in midfield.

Unfortunately that needs the right options around him. No point having a guy with a great passing range if he has nobody to pass to. How many times has he looked up to try to find an outlet and found nobody offering him anything? We miss an option up front who can hold a ball up - Aggy would hit him with a pass the majority of the time - or better options on the flanks or playing off the man up front who are going to transition between defending and attacking.

A midfield partnership of Turner to do the grafting and Agnew to do the more creative stuff is still a great option to have but if our attacking options are poor - and they have been this season - then they've nobody up front to pass to.

Aggy's game has changed this season. We've previously looked at him as a player who attacks opponents but this season he's been used more defensively. It's a big change to his game and he's now reliant on those in front of him offering him an outlet to pass to but he's taken to his defensive duties well and his range of passing means he can still dictate a game from deeper in midfield.

Unfortunately that needs the right options around him. No point having a guy with a great passing range if he has nobody to pass to. How many times has he looked up to try to find an outlet and found nobody offering him anything? We miss an option up front who can hold a ball up - Aggy would hit him with a pass the majority of the time - or better options on the flanks or playing off the man up front who are going to transition between defending and attacking.

A midfield partnership of Turner to do the grafting and Agnew to do the more creative stuff is still a great option to have but if our attacking options are poor - and they have been this season - then they've nobody up front to pass to.

Nail on head.

I would certainly have Buchanan, Gils has the work rate but not the end product and we need more than that.

Names I would keep would be:-

Graham

Agnew

Fleming

DVZ

Possible

Ct

Kirkpatrick

Campbell

The rest can go bye bye IMO

Rogers and Findlay are most welcome back on loan

I would certainly have Buchanan, Gils has the work rate but not the end product and we need more than that.

Names I would keep would be:-

Graham

Agnew

Fleming

DVZ

Possible

Ct

Kirkpatrick

Campbell

The rest can go bye bye IMO

Rogers and Findlay are most welcome back on loan

Would keep Scott Taggart as well!!

I'd definitely keep Kirkpatrick and Turner. Unsure about Campbell, apart from a lot of running about I don't really see what he gives us.

Buchanan would be a decent addition, at least he's scored a decent number of goals at this level in his career.

Archie Campbell has his detractors, I think he's ok to keep as a squad player, to come on as a Sub for the last 20-30 minutes.

His pace stretches a tiring defence in the latter stages of a game. Livi away, earlier in the season springs to mind.

Talking of Livi, heard that C Turner is a signing target for them.

Would like to see Grindlay perhaps get a run out in our final match v Raith, its his testimonial year and possibly his last chance for a goodbye, even bring him on for the last 1/2 hour would be a nice gesture.

Archie Campbell has his detractors, I think he's ok to keep as a squad player, to come on as a Sub for the last 20-30 minutes.

His pace stretches a tiring defence in the latter stages of a game. Livi away, earlier in the season springs to mind.

Talking of Livi, heard that C Turner is a signing target for them.

Would like to see Grindlay perhaps get a run out in our final match v Raith, its his testimonial year and possibly his last chance for a goodbye, even bring him on for the last 1/2 hour would be a nice gesture.

I thought the same about Shay actually. Take Danny off on say the 70th minute, earning him a well deserved standing ovation and bring Shay on for (presumably) his last appearance for the club.

Looking forward to his testimonial match, should be an enjoyable day.