Sons' sorrow

'Dumbarton Stadium Company Ltd' has two directors, Callum Hosie and Andy Hosie and its parent company is Brabco 736. Brabco 736 has a creditor of £273,048 - presumably the money owed to Neil Rankine - and a debtor of £298,740 - presumably the person who owes Rankine the money. It has creditors due after one year of more than two and a half million - presumably the money required to buy the stadium land from DFC (who would appear to still own it - having assets of £1,715,498). If Rankine is, as appears, owed his money by a limited company with no personal guarantee or security, I don't think he'll be receiving it any time soon. If it is secured on something, it might be interesting to know what.

So 'Dumbarton Stadium Company' has two directors, neither of whom is on the board of DFC. Brabco 736 has three directors, none of whom is on the board of DFC. Denny's Homes has two directors, neither of whom is on the board of DFC.

One has to assume that Ian Wilson is the only connection to all these other companies - despite not being on the board of any of them.

Quite a convoluted set up if Dumbarton FC are to own any new stadium eh?

It certainly looks very convoluted indeed, and the whole ownership issue appears opaque to say the least. The fact that Rankine hasn't fully exited the stage doesn't fill me with glee either.

Having looked at it all a bit closer now, the telling thing is the Brabco 736 accounts year end 2014 which you can view here https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/document/brabco-736/AnnualAccounts/2014-05-31

It states that Brabco 736 owns 75% of the B shares in Dumbarton FC and 100% of the shares in Denny Homes. It doesn't mention Dumbarton Community Stadium Company on the accounts but it apparently owns that 100%

These three/four companies are owned by Granada Enterprise a company registered in Belize.

No one can be sure of who the debtors and creditors are I was taking a guess at the money owed to Rankine. However one thing is sure, they have fixed assets of £2,263,869 so whoever the creditor is has a certain amount of security. That fixed asset can surely only be the stadium?

Forget the money owed to Rankine. the 'creditiors' is probably the accumulated losses of the club. however I don't know because there hasn't been an AGM for some time. If that is what these figures are then DFC made a loss of £97,653 in 2013 and a profit of £72,761 in 2014.

There is no profit and loss sheet for any of the companies including DFC, so the above is pure speculation.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

With all this talk about the stadium, this seems somewhat fitting.

In the 2000 close season Dumbarton became homeless and were playing home games at Cliftonhill for most of the first half of the season. The last part of the spell with no stadium in the town was also spent with no manager.

The Dumbarton Terrace tells the story of that time HERE: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/the-2000-close-season-the-wind-of-change/

Please don't post anything even roughly supporting the owners. This thread is only for bashing the owners. Anything in support will be seen as biased.

I'll bite. You'll need to explain how any of that shows support for our owners?

I find it strange that anyone would be in support of owners who have been, are and will continue to be secretive with their identity/plans and at the same time don't invest A SINGLE PENNY in the club.

With all this talk about the stadium, this seems somewhat fitting.

In the 2000 close season Dumbarton became homeless and were playing home games at Cliftonhill for most of the first half of the season. The last part of the spell with no stadium in the town was also spent with no manager.

The Dumbarton Terrace tells the story of that time HERE: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/06/08/the-2000-close-season-the-wind-of-change/

Great read, thank you.

Very detailed and lots of memories - good and bad!

I'll bite. You'll need to explain how any of that shows support for our owners?

I find it strange that anyone would be in support of owners who have been, are and will continue to be secretive with their identity/plans and at the same time don't invest A SINGLE PENNY in the club.

Call me old fashioned - but I kinda prefer success to investment.

Call me old fashioned - but I kinda prefer success to investment.

Nothing old fashioned about that, Wilf. If we can do what we're doing without the need for investment then that's all well and good. As you've worked out above though, we're making a loss. I need to question how much more successful you think we'd have been with some investment from our "long time Sons men" owners?

Nothing old fashioned about that, Wilf. If we can do what we're doing without the need for investment then that's all well and good. As you've worked out above though, we're making a loss. I need to question how much more successful you think we'd have been with some investment from our "long time Sons men" owners?

Well if I'm right they're not far off breaking even over the last couple of years. The stewardship of the current owners has coincided with a league title, a promotion and four seasons in the Championship. That might just be luck and I know there are people convinced that it is. I wouldn't be so sure although it is probably much more down to the Chief Exec and the Directors than the owners (although the Chief Exec is the owners' appointee). I'd reckon running a tight financial ship is the most important thing in running a football club - especially a wee one like Dumbarton. It also depends what you mean by investment. Often people mean 'subsidise' when they say 'invest'. If DFC can remain at this level or high in League 1 whilst balancing the books, that's about as good as it gets. A read at Andy Galloway's account of the dim and not so distant past is a stark reminder of how the club has progressed.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

Well if I'm right they're not far off breaking even over the last couple of years. The stewardship of the current owners has coincided with a league title, a promotion and four seasons in the Championship. That might just be luck and I know there are people convinced that it is. I wouldn't be so sure although it is probably much more down to the Chief Exec and the Directors than the owners (although the Chief Exec is the owners' appointee). I'd reckon running a tight financial ship is the most important thing in running a football club - especially a wee one like Dumbarton. It also depends what you mean by investment. Often people mean 'subsidise' when they say 'invest'. If DFC can remain at this level or high in League 1 whilst balancing the books, that's about as good as it gets. A read at Andy Galloway's account of the dim and not so distant past is a stark reminder of how the club has progressed.

Explain what "stewarding" the owners have done? We've had admission from the chairmam that they don't invest and leave us to our own devices. Simply buying a club and letting the people who were already there run it isn't doing much in my view.

I agree with you though that if we can sustain this level or League 1 without building debt then I'm happy in the grand scheme of things. But, it can't be denied the club needs investment, whether you call that subsidy or not isn't really relevant, we need it. It's why we (mainly the Trust) look for sponsors every year, hold Comedy nights, quiz nights, Play for the Sons days, Walk to the Rock events, Raise the Rock days, the list goes on. I'm not saying any owner must cover those expenses but at least help in some way to relieve the pressure would be good. Without investment (or subsidy) sustaining this level isn't on the cards. We're doing well here, aye, only pointing out that we can still improve which is often deemed as being negative on here, bizarrely.

Aggy going to st mirren according to the dfc site

Massive shame that, he's been an excellent player over the years. Guess no one can begrudge him the opportunity of full-time football though.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08