Sons' sorrow

Starting to feel a bit sorry for what we've done to Stranraer. Stolen their managerial team, some of their players and in return they've ended up with Lee Mair.

#prayforstranny

That's truly horrific news, thoughts with their fans at this tough time.

When you think about it, we have had much better luck in recent years from guys who have taken a step up or sideways to us than those who have come down the way switching to part-time. Compare Nish, Mair, Van Zanten and Wilson to any number of the players we've signed from for example, Alloa, Ayr Utd, Cowden etc. The exception being McGinn who was playing out of his skin to go full time again. I'd be quite wary of signing any seasoned Premiership guys who are only coming because they can't get a full-time contract.

I am really heartened to read this - I have been concerned that the mix of new manager, losing one of our best managers ever and reaching down rather than up for players would make for a difficult season. I see Rodgers, Kane and Findlay doing very well and I have always thought that players who have played at a higher level are good to have around the club but this puts it nicely into perspective.

I am fully supportive of the new manager and assistant and I hope what you say is right Wilf and that on balance they can get this right,

I am really heartened to read this - I have been concerned that the mix of new manager, losing one of our best managers ever and reaching down rather than up for players would make for a difficult season. I see Rodgers, Kane and Findlay doing very well and I have always thought that players who have played at a higher level are good to have around the club but this puts it nicely into perspective.

I am fully supportive of the new manager and assistant and I hope what you say is right Wilf and that on balance they can get this right,

Guys like Rogers, Kane and Findlay may have come from Premiership teams but they hadn't played much football at that level if any at all. Most loan players tend to be loaned out for that reason alone.

Wilf's post sums it up nicely for anyone who doubts picking up players from teams below us in the league system.

Sounds like aitken is putting a squad together to entertain by playing a few maverick players, I like the sound of this, but I just hope that he finds the balance with solid defensive minded players, especially when we're up against the bigger teams we expect to be humped by, but i am enthusiastic for the season ahead, and let's face it, our football was rank rotten last season

Sounds like aitken is putting a squad together to entertain by playing a few maverick players, I like the sound of this, but I just hope that he finds the balance with solid defensive minded players, especially when we're up against the bigger teams we expect to be humped by, but i am enthusiastic for the season ahead, and let's face it, our football was rank rotten last season

Yeah, it isn't looking too bad just now. The balance is quite important. As much as I don't want too many Nish or Mair type players. I reckon we could do with an experienced head or two around the club still. Obviously loanees won't happen until August probably, so can't depend on them too much.

Against the top sides last year we were absolutely awful! 3/4 of our total goals against must have been vs QoS, Rangers, Hib and Hearts? Without looking that is just a rough guess.

Fair comments from Taggert . He turned into one of my favourites last season. Was going to tell him that at poy night but thought my words would have been lost . Interesting despite becoming a decent right back our spell of leanness in giving goals away was when he was at ch . Delighted if he signs up

Yeah, it isn't looking too bad just now. The balance is quite important. As much as I don't want too many Nish or Mair type players. I reckon we could do with an experienced head or two around the club still. Obviously loanees won't happen until August probably, so can't depend on them too much.

Against the top sides last year we were absolutely awful! 3/4 of our total goals against must have been vs QoS, Rangers, Hib and Hearts? Without looking that is just a rough guess.

We didn't really need to be good against those teams to be fair, those were just kinda bonus games. The mini league at the bottom is the one we need to be on form for